Beech Creek Township Biographies
Aaron Arthur, one of the enterprising men of Beech Creek Township, is the son of John and Annie (Watkins) Arthur, and was born in Greene County December 11, 1841. His father was a native of Kentucky, and his mother of Tennessee. They emigrated to Greene County, Ind., at an early day, and engaged in farming, but after a time moved to Moultrie County, Ill., and remained about two years; then returned to this county, where they resided until their respective deaths. Aaron Arthur is one in a family of nine children. He was married January 16, 1861, to Miss Margaret Ann Crockett, daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth Crockett, and to this union have been born seven children?William, Elizabeth, Charley, Benjamin, Annie, John and David. Mr. Arthur is a stanch Democrat, and he and his wife are members of the Christian Church. He has always taken an active interest in the advancement of education and all the public improvements of the day. He owns a fine farm of 280 acres, and confines his occupation to farming and stock-raising.
Nehemiah Arthur, a twin brother of Aaron Arthur, who is elsewhere mentioned in this work, is a native of Beech Creek Township, Greene County, Ind., where he now lives. He was born December 11, 1841, one of the family of John and Anna (Watkins) Arthur. His schooling was limited to the country schools where he has been reared. On October 15, 1861, he married Margaret E. Burks, and to this union nine children have been born?Mary A., William W. (deceased), John F., Joel R., (Mena, Anna L., Martin L., Aeon L. and 'Amanda A. In the first part of life, Mr. Arthur was a farmer, and in fact has always been such, although he has been in the saw-mill business ever since the fall of 1871,with the exception of the year 1879. He now owns 298 acres of good farming land, well improved. Both Mr. and Mrs. Arthur are members of the Christian Church, while he is a Democrat in politics. They are of the best people, and highly respected as citizens in the community where they live.
John W. Arthur, one in a family of eleven children born to John and Anna M. (Watkins) Arthur, is a native of the township and county where he now resides, his birth occurring December 16, 1850. When sixteen years old, he moved with his parents to Illinois, where he received the greater part of his education, but after living there two years the family returned to Greene County. During his early life, Mr, Arthur worked at farming, but in 1872, in company with two brothers, Aaron and Nehemiah, he engaged in saw milling, at which he has since continued, although he owns a good farm of 120 acres, the greater part of which is under cultivation. The spring of 1884, he expects to move to Tennessee and cake the lumber business his exclusive occupation. Mr. Arthur has been one of Beech Creek Township's best citizens, favoring the advancement of all laudable public enterprises. His marriage with Charity Cornelius was solemnized July 27, 1872, and himself and wife are highly esteemed as neighbors and friends. Mr. Arthur is a Democrat in politics.
Hiram D. Arthur, one of Beech Creek's prominent young men, was born in the township, where he at present resides, December 25, 1856, and is one of eleven children born to John and Anna M. (Watkins) Arthur. He received the greater part of his schooling in his native county, and up to eighteen years of age worked at farming. In 1874, he began in the saw mill and lumbering business, and this has been his chief occupation ever since, although, he owns a well improved and fairly stocked farm of 105 acres. Mr. Arthur deserves much credit for his success, as he began doing for himself a poor boy, and by energy and industry has accumulated valuable property. On the 17th of August, 1876, Elizabeth Livingston became Mrs. Hiram D. Arthur, and to this union two children have been born, named James W. and Rosa E. In politics, 11Sr. Arthur casts his influence in favor of the Democratic party and as a member of this organization he favors reform in every respect. During the spring of 1884, ho expects to locate in Tennessee where, in company with a brother, he intends continuing the lumber business.
George R. Axtell, one of the foremost citizens of Beech Creek Township, was born May 10, 1825, in Washington County, Penn. He is one of five children of Thomas and Mary (Weir) Axtell, and his genealogy is traced elsewhere in this work. In 1832, with his parents, he located in Knox County, Ohio, where, with the exception of two years in Noble County, he lived until 1856, when he settled in Greene County, Ind., on the same farm where he now lives. Amanda Farnham became his wife November 5, 1846, and by her he is the father of five children?Samuel W., Bryan C., Mary W., Georgiana and Edna J., all living but the last. Mr. Axtell received a common school education in the Ohio schools, and while a young man began the tanning business, which he followed until he came to Greene County. Since that time he has been exclusively a farmer, and now owns 165 acres of good land, well improved and cultivated. On December. 12, 1880, his wife Amanda, died, and again, on January 8, 1882, he married Sarah R. Ogg, of the same township. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Solsberry, and a Republican in politics. He has held several minor township officers and sharesthe esteem of all who know him.
John A. Baldridge, a farmer of Beech Creek Township, is one of two children of David and Mary B. (Stewart) Baldridge, and is a native of Athens County,. Ohio. His father, having exhausted his means in acquiring an education in medicine, died and left our subject while quite young to the care of a mother. During his younger years Mr. Baldridge lived at intervals in Morgan, Noble and Washington Counties, Ohio, and was engaged in farming in the summer, and in the winter attending the country schools where he received a common school education. He was born September 27, 1843, and on November 20, 1863, he enlisted in Company D, Ninety-second Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, but was afterward transferred to Company C, Thirty-first Regiment of Veteran Volunteers, from which he received an honorable discharge July 20 1865. He was engaged in the battles of Resaca and Bentonville, and marched with Sherman to the sea. In May, 1806, he located in Greene County, where he has followed farming ever since. His nuptials with Georgianna kxtell were celebrated December 5, 1868, and to their union two children have been born, named Harry W. and David H. Both Mr. and Mrs. Baldridge are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Solsberry, in which organization they are leading spirits. He is a Republican in politics. His farm consists of 210 acres, well improved and cultivated. This he has acquired by industrious exertion and honest dealing.
F. H. Bryan, son of Edward Bryan, was born in Beech Creek Township, Greene County, Ind., October 24, 1844. His father was a native of Orange County, Ind., born in 1819, and a son of Edward Bryan, Sr., who came from South Carolina to Lost River in Orange County about the time Indiana was admitted into the Union. The family is of Irish descent, but the wife of Edward Bryan Jr., Malinda Bullock, to whom he was married in Greene County, in 1842, was of English and Welsh descent, and was a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Gaston) Bullock, both of these families settling in Greene County at a very early period in its history. Edward Bryan, Sr., together with his family, removed to Greene County in 1822, and settled in Beech Creek Township. They engaged in farming and clearing until Edward, Sr.'s death, in about 1846. Edward, Jr., lived on the farm until 1853, when he moved to Bloomfield, where for one season he engaged in merchandising, but the fall of 1853 removed to Solsberry and continued a like business with success for eight years. He died of consumption August 6, 1861, leaving a widow--who died of the same disease two years later?and three children: F. H., E. C. and John E F. H. took charge of the family left in his charge by the death of his parents until their respective marriage. He thus began doing for himself at the age of sixteen years, and in youth obtained only a common school education. On the death of his father, he purchased his store, and the greater part of his life has since been devoted to merchandising in Solsberry. He was married in 1873 to Miss A. F. Gibbons, and by her is the father of three children?Edward, Mabel and Fay. Mr. Bryan is a member of both Masonic and Odd Fellows fraternities, and is a Republican in politics, Mrs. Bryan was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, November 11, 1850, and came to Greene County with her parents, Joseph and Margaret (Shaw) Gibbons, in November, 1865. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Bryan held the office of Postmaster at Solsberry for three years. He owns about 450 acres of land in Beech Creek, Center and Highland Townships.
Vandal H. Casner, farmer and stock-raiser, is a native of the Old Dominion, his birth occurring June 19, 1830, in Randolph County, and is one in a family of six children born to George and Margaret (Yeager) Casner. He received his education from the old fashioned subscription schools, selected farming as his vocation through life, and February 16, 1851, was married to. Mrs. Barbara L. (Johnson) Barnes. In May, .1855, he came to Greene County, Ind., locating in Beech Creek Township, where he has ever since resided, with the exception of eleven years, when he made his home in Center Township September 29, 1864, he became a member of Company B, Fifty-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and after participating in the engagements of Franklin and Nashville, and various minor engagements, he was honorably discharged July 15, 1865. Mr. Casner is one of the progressive and substantial men of Beech Creek Township, beginning life with no substantial means, and by good management and industry accumulating 300 acres of good land. In politics, he is independent, voting for men and not party measures, rejecting the wrong and adopting the right. He and wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church and are the parents of this family: Solomon, George, Eliza R., Byron V., Lincoln R., Grant 0., Ida M. and Edith E., all living.
T. R. Cook, Solsberry, was born December 8, 1822, in Washington County, Penn , but his parents, Jacob and Phebe (McCollum) Cook, removing to Ohio in 1832 he was largely educated in Athens County. He began for himself when eighteen years old, and a year later went to the cabinet-maker's trade. While at the latter occupation, he removed to Guernsey County, Ohio, where in 1843 he was married to Harriet T. Gibbens, who was born March 17, 1825, and a daughter of Peter and Barbara (White) Gibbens. From cabinet-making, Mr Cook gradually took up carpentering, which has been his occupation chiefly through life. In 1859, he moved to Greene County, Ind., and August 20, 1862, became a member of Company A, Ninety-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry.. On the organization of the company, he became First Sergeant, but was discharged for promotion to First Lieutenant December 16, 1862, his commission bearing date December?11, 1862. By reason of the Captain's illness, Mr. Cook commanded his company for a number of months. He contracted typhoid fever at La Grange, Tenn., and for three months was unable for duty, but afterward was afflicted with sore eyes and camp fever, which rendered him entirely unfit for further military work. He resigned March 30, 1864, and was honorably discharged. For the past eight years, he has served as Postmaster at Solsberry, and Justice of the Peace, the latter being his present calling. Mr. Cook is one of the county's ablest citizens; is a stanch Republican, a member of the Masonic fraternity, and he and his wife are parents of this family: Elizabeth C., born July 4, 1845 (now Mrs. John Mullen); Peter M., April 17, 1847 (practicing medicine in Solsberry); Margaret E., August 2i, 1849 (Mrs. C. W. Keys); Edward S., April 17, 1851; Charles H., September 1, 1853, died March 20, 1857; William F., October 11, 1857, John F., August. 6, 1859, died February 10, 1863; Benjamin B., JO' g, 1865, and Birdie, February 11, 1867. Mr. and Mrs. Cook are 'members .of the Methodist Episcopal and Congregational Churches respectively, and are highly esteemed people.
James Crawford, a prosperous farmer of Beech Creek Township, is a native of Columbiana County, Ohio, born February 16, 1828. To his parents, Thomas and Jane (McClure) Crawford, were born this family: William B., Joann, James, Thomas, Mary J., Margaret, Martha, Amanda, Nancy and Sarah. Six of these are all that now live. The parents were honest and industrious people, natives of Pennsylvania, and both are now dead. James Crawford came to Greene County Ind., the spring of 1853, and engaged in farming in Beech Creek Township, where he has ever since resided. In 1865, he became associated with Dr. J. P McIntosh in mercantile pursuits, and after the retirement of Dr. McIntosh some eight years later, assumed the proprietorship of the entire business, which he continued some ten years longer. Mr. Crawford has been a careful and prudent business man, and by good management and industry has accumulated considerable property, consisting largely of farms, business property, etc. His marriage with Miss Nancy Collide was solemnized June 21, 1850, in his native county, and although no children have been born to them, they have completed their home circle by rearing and educating three children from the neighborhood. Mr. Crawford is a Democrat, a member of the Masonic brotherhood; has served four years as Postmaster and a number of terms as Township Trustee, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. During the late civil war, ho held the position of Sergeant, and afterward Second Lieutenant, and while doing military duty his actions were governed by the sense of honor and patriotism as when a civilian.
Abram Dilley, a farmer of Beech Creek Township, is a native of Guernsey County. Ohio, where he was born March 25, 1828, one of twelve children, of whom Ephraim and Rachel E. (Henry) Dilley were the parents. Mr. Dilley received such education as could be acquired in the primitive schools alad through paper windows of his time. At the age of fifteen years, he began the blacksmith trade, which business he continued for about fifteen years. On July 2, 1848, Maria J. Yakey, of the same county, became his wife, and they are the parents of these children: Leroy H., Judson S. (deceased), George W. Sarah L., Lucy L. (deceased), Solomon Y. (deceased), Albert L., Rachael and Maria F. In September, 1865, he located in Greene County on the place where he now lives. Since coming to this county, he worked at his trade about five years, and the balance of the time he has been farming. He now owns a splendid farm of 258 acres, well improved and cultivated. Of the 185 acres that are cleared, Mr. Dilley has cleared 100, which indicates his industry without other example. As members of the Baptist Church at Newark, they are among the best citizens in the county. Mr. Dilley Is a thorough Democrat in politics, and stands high among his neighbors for strict integrity.
David Jackson Drake, a merchant and Deputy Postmaster of Newark, was born in Holmes County, Ohio, December 20, 1823, and is the son of George and Rachel (Johnson) Drake, natives of Ohio, in which State they lived until their respective deaths. They were the parents of three children--Elizabeth (wife of Waterman Benner), David and Dennis (deceased). Our subject came to this State in 1866, and settled on a farm in this county, where he remained one year, then removed to Newark where he has since resided, and engaged in mercantile business. In 1881, he became Deputy for Postmaster Joseph G. Smith, and has since held that position. August 27, 1847, his marriage with Miss Mary E. Dotson, of Monroe County, Ohio, was solemnized, and to them have been. born seven children?James W., George D., John (do.. ceased), Seward, Clarence (deceased), Emma (Mrs. David D. Lyons) and Albert L. Mr. Drake is a Republican in politics, and he and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has been successful in business, owns a good farm of forty acres of well-improved land adjoining Newark, and at'fine business property in the town. Mr. Drake is an old and honored citizen of Greene County, and he and family are respected by all who know them.
George Edwards, one of the oldest settlers in Greene County, and a resident of Beech Creek Township, was born in Surry County, N. C., March 3, 1811'. His parents were William and Delilah (Burch) Edwards, who bore a family of seven children, with which they came to Greene County in May, 1822. George Edwards, the subject of this sketch, received but little education, and that from the subscription schools kept in the log houses of those frontier days. In his starting out for himself, Mr. Edwards had the common misfortune of the day and place?that of being poor. By his wife, whose maiden name was Laodicea Burch, he is the father of eleven children?James, Sarah, Nancy, Martha, William H., Delilah J., George L., Samuel H., Mary E., Susan R. and Paris F. Their marriage was solemnized December 22, 1831. By hard work and economical living, Mr. Edwards has obtained a, large competence, now owning about 700 acres of as good land as is in Beech Creek Township, besides a great amount he has given his children. His is probably the best improved farm in his township. Both he and his wife are members of the Baptist Church at Hebron, and are universally respected.
Wilford Hickam,- M. D., Newark, was born in Owen County, Ind., December 25, 1856, one of eleven children in the family of E. and M. (Bray) Hickam. He received a thorough ordinary education in the public schools of his native county. and at nineteen years of age began teaching school, which profession he followed four consecutive years. He then began the study of medicine with Dr. Schell, of Spencer, with whom he remained until the fall of 1880, when he entered the Medical Department of Butler University, from which institution he graduated March 1, 1883. Dr. Rickam then located for the practice of medicine at Newark, where he has won flattering success in his profession, both in the treatment of cases and in acquiring a lucrative practice. He is one of the lively, wide-awake men of Newark, progressive in his views on all subjects, is a Democrat in politics, and a member of the Odd Fellows fraternity. Dr. Hickam met with a serious and distressing accident June 26, 1864, which was the loss of his left limb at the junction of the middle and upper thirds of the femur, leaving him a cripple for life.
DR. John Kutch, Solsberry, was born in Richland Township, Greene County, Ind, November 15, 1841, and is a son of A. L. Kutch. He was raised on the home farm until seventeen years old, when he was apprenticed to learn blacksmithing at Bloomington. He served at this until he enlisted in the Ninth Indiana Light Artillery, and was mustered into the service on his twentieth birthday. His battery was ordered to Fort Donelson, but the battle terminating before their arrival, they went into camp at Cairo. He was an active participant in the battle of Corinth, in which his battery was warmly engaged. In 1863, they joined Grant's expedition against Vicksburg, but here the Ninth Artillery were sent to Fort- Hindman, Tenn. From here they went to Vicksburg the fall of 1863, and later to Meridian, en route participating in a severe engagement at Queen's Hill. They then returned to Vicksburg, and from thence joined Banks' command on the Atchafalaya Bayou, and from here captured Fort Drusa on Red River. They then went to Alexandria, and there were engaged in a battle on Gov. Moore's farm. Re-embarking on Red River, they participated in a number of engagements along its shore, and after being engaged in the battle of Pleasant Hill returned to Memphis for recruits. After the battle of Guntown, they were ordered to check Kirby Smith, who vas threatening St. Louis, and while here followed up the. retreating rebels and engaged their force on Blue River. They were next in the battle of Nashville; then followed Hood's retreating army to Pulaski; then went to Westport. having then served six months over the time for which they had enlisted. They here embarked on the steamer "Eclipse," and while near Johnsonville during a fog on the night of February 27, 1865, the steamer blew up, and thirty -two of the sixty-eight men of the Ninth Artillery were killed outright, and, with the exception of six, the remainder were wounded. Among the latter was Dr. Kutch, who was scalded over the face and head, and struck in the back with a brick from the boiler. Owing to this injury, Dr. Kutch was unfitted for his trade, and consequently began the study of medicine the winter of 1874, and in-1.878-79 graduated from the Medical College of Indiana at Butler University. For a short time, he practiced his profession at Bloomfield; then located in Solsberry, where he has acquired a lucrative practice. He is a Republican, and was married on his twenty-fourth birthday to Mary E. Danely, by whom he is the father of three children?011ie, Maggie and Alford. Dr. Kutch was in thirteen battles and engagements while out in the late war, and was honorably discharged in March, 1865.
Oscar McDonald, a merchant of Newark, was born in Shelby County, Ky., October 15, 1827, and is the son of Francis and Mary (Carroll) McDonald, who were natives of Kentucky and Maryland respectively. While in Kentucky, they were engaged in farming. Coming to Indiana in 1834, they settled in Greene County, and embarked in a like pursuit. They were the parents of four children?Sarah (Mrs. Jacob McIntosh), James, Elizabeth (Mrs. David Smith), and Oscar, who came with his parents to Indiana, and remained with them until his marriage with Miss C. Hoke, in 1852. He continued farming for sixteen years, when he moved to Newark and engaged in the boot and shoe trade, which he continued about three years; then, with Joseph G. Smith, became interested in harness and mercantile business, which lasted some four years. Since then, he has been in mercantile pursuits alone. Mr. McDonald has several times held the office of Trustee for Highland Township. He and wife are members of the Christian Church, and Mr. McDonald is deeply interested in the advancement of all public enterprises. In politics, he votes for the best man, regardless of political party, faith -or creed.
Henry H. McHaley, one of the well-known citizens of Greene County, is a native of Beech Creek Township, where he now lives. He was born January 24, 1841, one of seven children of William and Lucinda K. (Rice) McHaley, who settled in Greene County at an early date. Henry H. McHaley received but a limited education and in the log cabin schools of early days. His principal business through life has been farming, although he has engaged considerably in mercantile affairs. From 1869 to 1873, he did a general merchandise trade at McVille, and a short time at Newark, Ind., but his health failing, he quit that and paid his exclusive attention to farming. On December 16, 1858, his marriage with Letitia Hudson was solemnized, and to this union five children have been born Oliver S., Lucinda C., Mary A., William H. and John- A., all living. Mr. McHaley began life for himself with no property, and has been fortunate enough to acquire 157 acres of well. improved farming land. As a Republican, he was elected Justice of the Peace for his township in 1872, and has held that office ever since. In December, 1881, he was appointed Postmaster, at MQ,Ville, Ind., which position he now holds. In December, 1883, he again commenced doing a general merchandise business, with a stock' of $1,200, and is having a good trade. Mr. and Mrs. McHaley are members of the Christian Church, and are prominent in the charities of their neighborhood. Mr. McHaley is a member of the fraternity of I. 0. 0. F. which order he has represented in Grand Lodge.
Jacob P. McIntosh, a native of Marion County, Ind., was born November 17, 1835, and is the fourth in a family of ten children, of whom William J. and Sarah (Negley) McIntosh were the parents. He became a resident of Greene County when two years of age by the removal of the family, and has ever since been a resident of Greene County. He was raised on the farm of his father, and owing to Mr. McIntosh's limited means, secured but a common education. In 1857, he was married to Miss Nancy Kelley, and since his graduation from the Eclectic Medical College at Cincinnati, in 1868, has pursued his chosen profession. Although a man of no great pretensions, yet Dr. McIntosh is gifted with an unusual degree of practical wisdom, which ranks him among the prominent men of Indiana. He began his career in the world with but little education, and no means by which he could obtain one. By close application be in after years secured a thorough knowledge of all the lower branches, together with some of the sciences, and by industry has obtained a goodly share of this world's goods. Besides the practice of medicine, he has been engaged in mercantile pursuits in various parts of the county, and in 1877 published his work entitled " Information for the People ' In politics, he has ever been a firm and outspoken Democrat, always contributing largely to the success of his party in the county. He was a member of the Democratic State Conventions of 1F76 and 1880, and in 1874 and 1878 was the nominee of his county for State Representative, and was defeated each time. In 1880, be was elected Joint Representative from Greene Knox and Sullivan Counties, and through' the acceptable manner by which he served in this office, he was elected State Senator from this Senatorial district. Dr. McIntosh has proven a wise and acceptable legislator, and is the author of several popular laws. He is now a resident of Beech Creek Township, whore he is the owner of valuable property. Himself and wife are parents of six children: Martin F., Mary K. (Mrs. J. L. Wood), Nathaniel and three that died in infancy.
Martin F. McIntosh, a son of Hon. Jacob P. McIntosh, of whom appropriate mention is herein elsewhere made, was born in Highland Township, Greene Co., Ind., July 6, 1858. He received a common school education in the schools of his county and has been mostly engaged in the mercantile business all his life. Until April 1, 1879, he was in the employ of his father at Newark, Owl Prairie and Linton. At that date, he began for himself in the grocery business at Newark, but in May following his father went into partnership with him and they then added a stock of drugs, in .which manner they continued until July, 1881, when his brother-in law, Mr. J. F. Wood, came into the firm and it has since been known as J. P. McIntosh & eons. They carry a stock worth about $4,500, each owning one-third interest. On July 27 1879, his nuptials with Miss Della Frame were celebrated, and they are the parents of two children?Jacob P. Jr., and one that died in infancy. He is a stanch Democrat, and has been delegate in two Congressional Conventions. He has done considerable newspaper writing, and takes an active interest in all public affairs, and is a rising young man who is looked upon with promise.
George W. Nash, one of ten children born to Obediah and Nancy (Edwards) Nash is a native of the township, county and State where he now resides, his birth occurring August 15, 1839. His parents were among the first to brave the hardships and inconvenience of pioneer life in Greene County, their advent dating back to 1822. His education was obtained at the primitive log schoolhouse, and when about eleven years of age he was cast upon his own resources by the death of his parents. Until twenty-one years of age, he was engaged in farming, but July 8, 1861, he volunteered his services for the suppression of the rebellion, and was assigned to Company C, Twenty-first Regiment of Indiana Volunteer Infantry. At the end of two and a half years, he was discharged, then re-enlisted in the First Indiana Heavy Artillery from which he received his final discharge August 23, 1865. Mr. Nash was a brave and efficient soldier and took part in the battles of Port Hudson, Baton Rouge, Cedar Grove, Donaldsonville, 'New Orleans and the Spanish Fort. February 1, 1866, he married Fidelia Gaston, who has presented him with two sons?William 0. and John D. The parents are highly respected people of their locality, and are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Nash is one of the progressive farmers of his township, owns a good farm of 156 acres adjoining the village of Newark, and as a Republican in politics has always favored the advancement of all laudable public enterprises.
Isaac Philpot, a native of Belmont County, Ohio, was born November 16, 1824, and is one in the following-named children of William and Ruth (Hults) Phi1pot, who were natives respectively of Ireland and Ohio?William, George, Shepherd, Isaac, John H., Samuel, Eliza, Eleanor, Maria, Matilda and Sarah Ann. Previous to leaving Ohio, Mr. Philpot held the commission of Second Lieutenant in the State militia of Noble County, and where, also, he was twice married, his first wife being Miss Ann Rebecca Gibson, and his last and present wife Miss Eliza ilson. To his first marriage, three children were born ?Robert Heath, John William and Martha Matilda; and by his present wife he is the father of two children?Frank L. and Annie Rebecca. In 1866, Mr. Philpot became a resident of Beech Creek Township, Greene Co., Ind., and since that time it has always been his home. He was actively engaged in farming until 1881, when he took charge of the mill at Newark for one year; then returned to the farm and again took charge of the mill in 1883. He is one of the prosperous citizens of the county, owns a good farm of 123 acres. is a Republican in politics, and himself and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
David Scharb, undertaker and dealer in furniture, is the son of Obed and Catherine (Miller) Scharb, natives of Pennsylvania. They came to Indiana in about 1851, and settled in Greene County on a farm, where they remained until Obed Scharb*s death in 1874. To them were born three children?:Sarah (Mrs. Edward Pennell), David and Joseph M. David Scharb was born in Wayne County, Ohio, March 1, 1845, and came with his parents to Indiana and remained with them until the breaking-out of the late rebellion, when he enlisted in Company E, Fifty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, under Capt. A G. Cavins, and remained in the service until 1865, when he was honorably discharged. He was a brave and gallant soldier, and participated in some of the severest campaigns and hardest fought battles of the war. November 12, 1867, he married Miss Mary Taylor, and to them were born three children?William Sherman, E. Algon; and one that died in infancy unnamed. The mother died September 1, 1881, since when Mr. Scharb has married Mrs. Angeline (Smith) Pickerd, the widow of Isaac Pickerd. He is a member of the Methodist Protestant Church and a member of the Odd Fellows fraternity. Mr. Scharb established himself as an undertaker and furniture dealer at Newark in 1879, and has since continued successful in business.
Henry Shields, a resident of Beech Creek Township, is the oldest of three children, of whom William and Bersheba (Festler) Shields were the parents. He was born in Meigs County, Ohio, April 1, 1822, whence he went with his parents to Washington County, Penn., in May, 1826. They remained in that State about *six years, when they removed to what is now Noble County, Ohio. His education is limited, and was all acquired in the primitive log schoolhouses of that day. On August 22, 1844. he was united in matrimony to Minerva D. Gilkerson, and of the ten children that have been born to them only these five are now living: Andrew J., George H., James H., Sarah E. and Dora B. In April, 1865, Mr. and Mrs. Shields moved with their family to Greene County, Ind., where they have ever since lived. Mr. Shields has successfully followed farming all his life, and now owns a splendid farm of 197 acres, and engages in buying and selling stock. Both Mr. and Mrs. Shields belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church at Solsberry, and are foremost in all laudable enterprises of their community. His politics are Republican,? and he takes an active interest in public affairs. All who know him are enthusiastic in his praise as a moral and upright citizen.
Andrew Jackson Shields, merchant of Newark, was born in Noble County, Ohio, September 9. 1857, and is a son of Henry and Minerva Delong (Gilkerson) Shields, who were natives respectively of Pennsylvania and Ohio. They came to Indiana in April, 1865, and settled on a farm in Beech Creek Township, where they still reside. They are the parents of ten children, only five? Andrew Jackson, George H., James H., Sarah E. (wife of William Torrence) and Dora B.?yet living. Andrew Jackson came with his parents to Indiana, and remained with them until his marriage with Miss Louisa M. Frame, a daughter of Jacob and Martha Frame, who reside at Solsberry. He then engaged in farming until 1870, when he entered the State University at Bloomington and remained three years. During his life he has taught twelve years of public school. In the spring of 1S83, he formed a partnership with J. B. Young, at Newark, in the general mercantile business, at which he is still engaged. He is a stanch Republican in politics, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, while his wife is connected with the Congregational Church. Mr. and Mrs. Shields are the parents of one son?Oscar Raymond. During the extra session of the State Legislature in 1881, Mr. Shields was Enrolling Clerk in the Lower House, which position he filled with commendable praise.
Edward Thompson, farmer of Beech Creek Township, is a native of Ireland, where he was born County Antrim July 5, 1834. His parents, Gilbert and Nancy (Quiery) Thompson, bore a family of seven children. Our subject received a common school education, and followed farming until the year 1851, when he left his native land, and located in London, England, there engaging in the business of engineering for four years. At the end of that time he came to America, landing in New York in 1855. Soon after this, he came to Indiana, and followed railroading for a time, and engineering at Greencastle until 1860, when he moved to Wayne County, Ill., where he owned and operated a circular saw mill. From there he came to Greene County in May, 1862, where he has ever since lived. His marriage with Sally M. (Junkin), of Monroe County, Ind., was solemnized December 24, 1863. Together they have raised a family of five children?David G., Elizabeth C., Agnes 0., James E. and Catherine J. Since his settlement in Greene County, Mr. Thompson was engaged in grist milling until March, 1863. He is now devoting his attention entirely to farming, and owns a good farm of 162 acres. He is a member of the United Presbyterian Church, and supports all the benevolent institutions of his community with both his influence and means. As a Republican, he takes a lively interest in public affairs, and his reputation for honesty and morality is above reproach.
Ebenezer F. Torrence, of Solsberry, Ind., was born in what is now Noble County, Ohio, September 5, 1826. Joseph and Mary (McCrary) Torrence, his parents, bore a family of eleven children. The education of our subject was limited to that of the common schools. Eliza Hannum became his wife November 25, 1848, and by her he is the father of six children?Mary J., William J., Sarah E., Parker F., George H., all living, and Eliza E., deceased. At the age of eighteen years, he began the carpenter's trade, which he followed about five years. In the fall of 1849, he moved to Jasper County, Mo., where he lived until June, 1852, when he located in Greene County, Ind. Since he left Ohio, Mr. Torrence has been farming with good success, as his large, well-improved farm of 300 acres clearly shows. On November 20, 1864, he was grieved by the loss of his wife. Again on August 29, 1865, he was married to Mrs. Sarah E. (Larue) Catron, who is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Solsberry. Mr. Torrence, though formerly a member of that church for thirty-three years, now belongs to the Congregational Church at the same place. The reason for his changing was his conviction against the morality of " secret oath-bound societies," which the Methodist Episcopal Church indorses, while the Congregational Church at Solsberry forbids all such societies as wrong. During the slavery agitation, Mr. Torrence took strong grounds against that great evil, and was active in working for its downfall. He is now an earnest worker for the causes of Prohibition and Woman's Suffrage. In sentiment, he is an American in politics, and takes active interest in the public affairs of the day.
Isaac Watkins, one of seven children born to Benjamin and Hannah (Jones) Watkins a native of Johnson County, Ind., his birth is occurring February 3, 1835.His limited education was secured at the old-fashioned log schoolhouse of that early day, and although he has worked at the carpenter's trade some, his general occupation through life has been farming and stock-raising. About the age of nine years, he came to Greene County with his parents, and since that time has always made Greene County his home. November 27, 1855, he was united in marriage with Mary A. Livingston, and to them have been born eight children; of these six are yet living?John W., Laura E., Peter F. George F., James I. and Noah A. Mr. Watkins began for himself with but little or no means at his command, and a well-improved farm of ninety-five acres shows with what success he has managed his business. September 29, 1864, he entered Company B, Fifty-seventh Indiana Infantry, but the rebellion soon afterward ending, he was honorably discharged July 10, 1865. He served his country with fidelity, and was an active participant in the battles of Franklin and Nashville. In politics, Mr. Watkins is a member of the National party, is an enterprising citizen and a man respected by all who know him.
John Freeland Wood, a merchant of Newark, Ind., is a native of Sullivan County, and was born January 8, 1845. Lacy and Jane (Reneau) Wood are his parents, who bore a family of -fourteen children. Mr. Wood received a good education, graduating from the Southwestern Normal School at Lebanon, Ohio, August 15, 1867, when he received the degree of Bachelor of Science. After this he engaged in teaching school thirty-seven months, part of the time in the town of Sullivan, Ind. On February 18, 1865, he enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Forty ninth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, but the war ending soon after, he was honorably discharged September 27, 1865. In the spring of 1872, he began the merchandise business at Pleasantville, in the firm of Parks, Wood & Co., but in the fall of 1873 the firm became L. R. & J F. Wood. In this manner, it remained until the spring of 1875, when he went into the same business at Linton, which he followed for about two years before he went into partnership with J. P. McIntosh. In the fall of 1878, in partnership with his brother, he began business at Newberry, Ind. This he continued until July 8, 1881, when he became one of the firm of J. P. McIntosh & Sons, at Newark,. where he has ever since been. On August 1, 1876 he was married to Mary H. McIntosh, by whom he is the father of two children, Bessie M. and Orion L. In the winter of 1877 and 1878, he attended lectures at the Eclectic Medical College at Cincinnati, Ohio. He was formerly a member of the fraternity of Odd Fellows, although he now holds a withdrawal card. Mrs. Wood was born November 17, 1859, and is a daughter of J. P. McIntosh. Mr. Wood is firm in advocating the principles of the Republican party.
Jacob Brown Young, a native of Columbiana County, Ohio, was born December 17, 1855. His father died and left him, at the age of eight years, in the care of his mother, who afterward married William V. Ferguson. In the year 1864, he came with the family of James Crawford to Greene County, Ind., settling in Beech Creek Township, which has ever since been his home, and where he is well known and himself and family universally respected. Mr. Young received a good education in the schools of this county, but not being satisfied with the benefits derived from the common schools, he embarked in school teaching, and in this way, and by other hard work, accumulated sufficient means to enter the State University at Bloomington. He remained at this institution four years, and besides being a hard student was one of the leading spirits of the Phi Kappa Pi fraternity. In August, 1878, be became associated with James Crawford in the general merchandise business at Newark, which continued a few years, when A. J. Shields purchased Mr. Crawford's interest. The firm now carries a well-assorted stock of goods valued at about $4,500, and are doing the leading business of the town. March 17, 1880, Miss Kate Kelsey, of Owen County, this State, became Mrs. Jacob Brown Young, and the union has been blessed with one daughter?Grace Edwards. The parents are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Young is one of the county's self-made men, beginning life's battle a poor boy and by upright dealings acquiring a competence. He is a Democrat, and member of the subordinate lodge of Odd Fellowship, in which fraternity he has filled nearly every office two times, once representing his lodge in the Grand Lodge of the State.