Schools of Yesteryear and Today

In 1883 there were 134 frame and 9 brick school houses. The buildings and grounds were valued at an estimated at $70,700. The school house also served as a community center for the neighborhood and many functions were held there - even religious services till a church could be built. The schools were numbered but most generally were known and bore the names of their geographical location or the donor of the land upon which they were built. I have tried to list all that I can find. Often our ancestors tagged their location to the school nearest them, thus knowing the names of the schools. Hopefully this will help locate the ancestor and data on them. Even Any in put on this will be very welcome and any entries I have not thought of would be most welcome. If you have anything to add to what is listed below please contact me.

  • Adams School (Stockton twp.) - was E. of Fairview Cemetery
  • Alderson School (Jefferson twp.) district #3 discontinued in 1924
  • Alkire School (Washington twp.) - the frame school was replaced by a brick on in and was discontinued 1913/4 and students went to Shiloh. Teachers: 1909, Maude Hunter; 1911, Bessie Edwards; 1913/4, Clarence E. Keller
  • Atlas School (Stockton twp.) Sec. 17. Teachers: Dorothy Malicoat & Beatrice Haseman
  • Bays School (Highland or Beech Creek twp) Teachers 1918, Grace (Killinger) Green & 1925/6, Ruth Ann (Nation) Booze
  • Bethel School (Stafford twp.) discontinued about 1928. Teachers: 1911/2, Oscar L. Lind, Bingham, Upper & Lower (Center Twp.) - Upper abandoned in 1930 & lower in 1932. Teachers: William H. Scott; 1930/1, Ava M. Barnes
  • Black Creek School (Stockton twp) - discontinued 1956 Located on Black Creek Rd. Teachers: 1956, Helen Headley, Helen Wright & Herbert Greenwood
  • Blackmore School (Taylor twp.) built on land donated by Samuel Blackmore and was discontinued in 1931
  • Blackwood School (Stafford twp.) discontinued 1917/8. Teachers: 1911/2 Dimple Brown
  • Bloomfield School District Consolidated in 1959 from Highland, Richland and Taylor twp. schools
  • Bodwell School (Center twp) discontinued 1958. Teachers: Lloyd Anderson
  • Bogard School (Washington twp.) - Former Carpenter School. A brick school house was built on land donated by Thomas Bogard. Abandoned in 1913. Teachers: 1901/2, Fred Carpenter; 1911, Fay Fields; 1913, Lela E. Gough
  • Bolten School (Stockton twp.) - district #2 , NW corner of Sec. 10 1st brick land bought from Henry Bolton for $50.50 Teachers: George Price, William Beasley, Verna Jackson, Claude Asdell, Peter Haseman, Newt Vaugn, Alf Beasley, Martha Pope, Joseph Grace, John R. Clayton, Rebecca Armstrong, George Eillis, Joe Moss, Lemuel Hannah & Liston Pope
  • Bristle Ridge School (Plummer now Taylor twp. )
  • Brown School (Smith twp) ? Located in the western part of the township and dedicated in 1898 ground bought from J. E. Stahl for $25.00. The brick one-room schoolhouse was the first of three one-room schools, Lincoln and Miller constructed in 1898 and 1899. Was discontinued and was consolidated with Switz City 1947/8. Teachers: Mabel Mippus; 1911/2 Ruth English; 1933, Bonnie Hamlin; 1946/7, Morton Swango
  • Brush School (Taylor twp.) - NW of Scotland on the Old Bloomfield-Scotland Rd. discontinued in 1919 and students went to Scotland
  • Buckner School (Grant twp.) discontinued in 1921 Teachers: 1911/2, Viola Boyd
  • Bullerman School (Fairplay) On Linton-Bloomfield Rd. on land donated by Pearl Ballard. abandoned 1926. Teachers: 1926, Dora A. Killinger
  • Buncombe School (Stafford twp)
  • Burge School (Stafford twp)
  • Burris Chapel (Stafford twp)
  • Calvertville School (Highland twp)
  • Camp Ground School (Richland twp) Teachers: 1911/2 George B. Taylor
  • Carpenter School (Washington twp.) built on land donated by John Carpenter about 1849; was abandoned and became Bogard School
  • Central School (Linton, Stockton twp.) 1893 2 story brick; used til 1920's
  • Cincinnati School (Center twp.) discontinued in 1957/8. Teachers: George Ledgerwood
  • Clayton School (Stockton twp.) 1st records 1870?s Located NW of the Old German Cemetery. Teachers: Joe Moss
  • Cliffy School (Jackson twp) district 11 burned in 1918 and re-built and discontinued 1948. A List of children who attended was given in a poem written by Rat Tetrick
  • Clover Bottom School
  • Coen/Cohen School (Richland twp) discontinued in 1947. Teachers. 1911/2, Joda Sinclair; 1947, Grace K. Greene
  • College Hill School (Jefferson twp) district #1 Sec. T8N R5W consolidated with Worthington School 1937/8
  • College Hill School (Stockton twp) No. #8, Sec. 22. Grades 1-8. 3 blocks W of the Railroad tracks Hwy 54W
  • Combs School (Center twp) discontinued 1924/25 School was moved to St. Hwy & Co. Rd. 800E by Claude Combs & classes resumed 1932/3; Last class was 1947 till it was used again from 1952/3 till 1957/8 when it became a part of Beech & Center twp. schools
  • Copeland School (Jackson twp) talked of as early as 1843
  • Crabbe School (Jackson twp) district 7 building burnt in 1939 and students sent to Cliffy
  • Cross Roads School (Jackson twp) district 10 built after 1867 and discontinued 1923
  • Davis School (Stafford twp) iscontinued by 1917/8, Teachers 1911/2, Emma Brewer
  • Dean School (Smith twp) edicated in 1898; combined with Switz City School 1947/8. Teachers 1011/2, Claude Sharp; 1946/7, Dallus Hoke
  • Dilly School (Beech Creek twp.)
  • Dixon School (Fairplay twp) abandoned 1927. Teachers Minnie B. Moses
  • Doans School (Taylor twp) 1st built in 1863 and burned in 1907 and rebuilt discontinued in 1928 students went to either White Oak or Scotland
  • Dog Island School (Washington twp) - a frame building built in 1878 and discontinued by 1919 and students went to Lyons. Among the 1st teachers was W. L. Cavins; 1911, Xada Edwards
  • Dresden School (Jackson twp.) district 6 discontinued 1929
  • Eastern Consolidated School District - combined schools from Center, Beech Creek and Jackson twp. Classes were held in Solsberry and Owensburg from 1959 - 1961; when the school was opened on State Road 54 in Center twp
  • Edington School (Jackson twp.) district 9 built in 1872 and abandoned before 1902
  • Ellis School (Stockton twp.) - built on land owned by William Ellis, deed dated 16 July 1873. The school burned in 1910 and Jan. 1920. Was rebuilt each time. In 1916 it was moved to St. Hwy. 54 & 1500W. Closed in 1956
  • Fairplay School (Fairplay twp) - discontinued in 1923 Teachers: 1923, Minnie B. Moses
  • Flater School (Richland twp) discontinued 1921 Teachers: 1011/2, Tona Stricland; 1921, Olive C. Warren
  • Fort Wilson School (highland twp) Teachers: Rovena Sheherd, Mary Shepherd, Helen WOrkamn, Beatrice Ownes, & Bill Glidden
  • Foster School (Taylor twp.) Founded back in the 1800?s and discontinued about 1950
  • Fulk School (Center twp) abandoned 1928 Teachers: Thomas L. Anderson
  • Furnace School (Fairplay twp.) 1st record of it is 1876; 1st brick school house 1912 & it burnt 1936 & was rebuilt ; discontinued 1961. Teachers: Herschell Fuller; Edna Fuller Headly; Leia Rade Lindsey; Doris Johnson Combs 1911/2, Victor Wilson; 1961, Vera Vanmeter & Vergie Hall; last teachers Mary Sarver & Frances Nesbit
  • Gum Tree School (Jackson twp.) district 4 and burned in 1916
  • Grant - Fairplay Township School - Built in 1912 and building used as grade and high school until 1927 when a new building was built for the high school and the older building used as a grade school until it burned in 1936; and an addition was added onto the high school to house the grade school. See Switz City Central.
  • Hamilton - Burge School (Stockton twp.) 1870's, Located 1/2 mi. SW of Olive Branch Church. discontinued and students went to Bolten School
  • Hardscrabble School (Jackson twp.) district 13 and discontinued in 1924
  • Hash Town (Richland twp.)
  • Hattabough School ( Cass Taylor twp. Line) records begin about 1915 and was closed in 1923
  • Hattery School (Stafford twp.)
  • Hedrick School (Stafford twp.)
  • Hickory School (Jackson twp.) District 2 combined with Holder School in 1907 and the program for that year calls this consolidation the "Double H's"
  • Hobbieville School (center twp) discontinued 1957/8 Teacher's: Maxine Royal
  • Holder School (Jackson twp) district 1 see Hickory school
  • Holmes School (Washington twp.) - Late 1800's, was discontinued and merged with Bogard School
  • Holtsclaw School (Center twp.) abandoned 1932 Teachers: 1932, Joe Quimby
  • Hopewell School (Stafford twp.) discontinued 1937. Teachers: 1011/2, Clista Clogston
  • Irwin or Erwin School (Taylor twp.) built in 1906 and discontinued in 1921
  • Island City School (Stockton twp.)
  • Jackson School (Stafford twp.) discontinued 1937 Teachers: 1011/2, Rosa Cox
  • Jasonville School (Wright twp) - one room school house was tore down in 1903 & a new 9 room brick school erected at a cost of $12,0000 & in 1904 an addition at a cost of another $12,000 was added. In 1959 it consolidated with Midland and became Metropolitan School district of Shakamak
  • Jefferson Twp. District #4 School - was abandoned before 1911
  • Keller School (Washington Twp.) was built in 1857 as a log house, in 1876 a frame house was built and discontinued in 1915. Teachers: 1911, Grace Wright; 1915, Fay Fields
  • Kelly or Kelly Bend School (Highland twp.) School was built in 1850 and land donated by Joseph Kelly. 2nd school was built E. of old school on land donated by Fountain Kelly. Closed for awhile because of lack of students and re-opened in 1927 and discontinued in 1937/8 students went to Fort Wilson or Calvertville. Teachers: Sam Mc Intosh, Dan Mc Intosh, Gorman Pickard, Kathyrn Mc Kissick, Katie Fyre, Rhea Gorman, Helen Trent, Kathyrn Mc Elroy, Marion Pickard, Homer Love, John Garner, Iva Grace Arthur, Bernice Miller Neill, Lucille Carr, Lois Stalcup Hobson, Blance Maners Edwards, Betty Blackwood Bowman, Stanley Hamilton & O. P. Mc Coy
  • King School (Richland twp) discontinued 1947 Teachers: 1011/2, Thomas A. Heaton; 1947, Charles B. Barns
  • Koleen School (Jackson twp) - district 14. Added on 1880 & made it a 2 room school house. Discontinued in 1958/9 and torn down in 1975
  • L & M Washington and Stafford Schools (Washington & Stafford twp) Was established in Nov. 1957 first classes were 1959/1960. Located half way in between Lyons and Marco. Was consolidated into White Ricer School District on 1 Jan 1988
  • Lamb School (Jackson twp.) district 3 discontinued in 1920
  • Latta Creek School (Wright twp.) discontinued 1940
  • Law School, Old (Center twp.) one room school house located on Corwin Road in northeast center township and was abandoned in 1923 Teachers: 1923, A. Earl Klinger; Wilma Lindsey Huffman
  • Lawson School (Grant twp.) erected sometime after the Civil War on land owned by William Lawson and was replaced by a new building in 1905 and abandoned in 1927. Teachers: 1902, Frank Wade; 1911/2, Ethel Dayhoff; 1927, Helen Wakefield
  • Letsinger School (Wright twp.) discontinued 1941
  • Lick Branch School (Jackson twp) built in 1840 by Nathaniel Lynch
  • Lincoln School (Smith twp.) edicated in 1898 and burned in 1927. Teachers - 1911/2, Hettie Bartley
  • Linton School (Stockton twp) 1st school house was made of logs and was at what is now 1st & A Street and was used till after the Civil war. A frame schoolhouse was built 1859 by John Wolford & his father, and burnt in 1860. 2nd school house was built about 1866 on what is now 3rd St. NE between Vincennes & "a" St. and was used until 1881, 1881 - part of the present property near Central School was purchased and frame building was erected. 1886/7 - a store building was used for high school 1887 - frame building built on "main" school ground between Vincennes and SE "A" Sts. and between 1st & 2nd Sts, 1890 purchased a 2 story frame building and moved it the "main" location; in 1920/21 land was purchased at "H" & Main St. New High school was built, gymnasium was added 1938/9; 1970, 1978/9, 19080 saw new additions and renovations, 1893 All buildings were tore down or mooed from "A" & 1st St. A new school calded Central was built; 1897 an addition was added, burned March 1899; rebuilt and new building of Central opened in 1900; the school was commissioned in 1901; 1905 a junior high school was added; 1920 another building was erected for the high school. Teachers: Simon Peter Caress, John L. Cavens, Julia Sheehe Rector
  • Linton Elementary School formed in 1956 consolidated the city and twp. school 1 Aug 1954 and opened 10 Sep 1956. Building was built on property one of high school on the 40 acre campus
  • Little Red Schoolhouse (Stockton twp.) Brownstown, 1 mi. N of Ellis school on Co. Rd. 1500W
  • Long School (Center twp) discontinued 1920/1
  • Lyons School (Washington Twp)- 1st school was built in 1871, located at Franklin & Wine Sts. Rebuilt in 1879 and a brick school replaced that on in 1886. The fourth and final school was built in 1908/9 at E. Broad & Delaware Sts.;1911 W. B. Van Gorde was superintendent; 1919 a gymnasium and several classrooms were added to the structure and was destroyed by fire on 16 Jun 1957. Students went to Newberry in 1957/8 and Marco in 1958/9 until the consolidated school of L & M. opened in 1959/60
  • Marco School (Stafford twp.) 1879 Brick 2 story $2,400; 1936 a new building & all of Stafford twp. Transported to Marco; was discontinued in 1958 when consolidated with I & M Washington- Stafford twp. Teachers: 1911/2 Jack Wakefield & Carl Cunningham, grades James B. Hall & Stella Pope
  • Martindale School (Center twp.) - discontinued 1920/1
  • McClarren School (Jefferson twp.) district #7 Sec. 2 T8N R5W; was discontinued about 1928
  • Meredith School (Washington twp)
  • Metamoris School or Sharkey - pronounced mollie morris
  • Metropolitan School District of "Shakamak" - began in 1959 when the state mandated schools to consolidate this was the combination of Midland and Jasonville Schools which were the only one that existed in Wright twp, Midland School (Wright) - discontinued in 1964/5 for high school when the went to Metropolitan School District of Shakamak at Jasonville; grade school remained till 1968
  • Miller School (Smith twp.) dedicated in 1898 and was later in grant twp
  • Miller School (Richland twp.) - discontinued 1946 Teachers: 1911/2, Alma Vanmeter; 1946, Ruth Ann Booze
  • Mineral School (Richland & Taylor twp. Line) built before 1860 on land transferred from Levi Fellows; discontinued about 1951
  • Morgan School (Stockton twp.) S. of Linton on County Line Rd.
  • Morgan School (Washington twp.) built in 1871 discontinued in 1928 and students were sent to Lyons. Teachers: 1911, Lyla Iles; 1928, William H. Wolfe.
  • Mud Pike School (Washington twp.) built of land donated by John Salzman it burned about 1909 and was not re-built.
  • Mullen School (Beech Creek twp.)
  • Neidigh School (Washington twp.)- Located NW part of section 12
  • Newark School (Beech Creek twp.)
  • Newberry School (Cass twp) - The 1st school house was built near White River the 2nd on west side of town and the 3rd on the south part of town; the 4th built in 1907 at $3,000 was in the east part of town; 1947 attended Lyons until 1951 when merged with Switz City Central; grades continued there until 1960 and tore down 1965
  • Nine mile School (Grant twp.) - built in 1895 and discontinued in 1931. Teachers: 1911/2, Hazel Easter; 1931, Carol Easter
  • Norman School (Fairplay twp) discontinued 1927 Teachers: 1927, Asa Earl Kilinger
  • North East Ward (Linton, Stockton twp.) 3rd. St. Built 1908 and discontinued 1956
  • North West Ward (Linton, Stockton twp.) - "F" & 5th St. built 1903 and discontinued 1956
  • Number One School (Beech Creek)
  • Number Four School (Wright) discontinued 1943
  • Number Eight school (Wright) discontinued 1928
  • Ohio School (Stafford twp.) discontinued by 1917/8 Teachers: 1911/2, Carrie M. Lind
  • Old Log School house (now Washington twp.) Built in 1830 by John Haddon and abandon date unknown Teachers: James Harvey , James Finey
  • Owensburg School (Jackson twp) Earlier school were various subscription and held at various location through-out Owensburg. District 5 built in 1872 a 2 story frame at cost of $2,000 serving as elementary and as well for several normal schools. There was another school building in 1894. About 1905 classes past the 8th grade became available and it was not till 1907 that they became accredited high school. The building in 1915 was replaced with a new building; 1934/5 a gymnasium was built. In 1949 sent the secondary students to Oolitic School in Lawrence county until merged with Eastern School district in 1959. Teachers: Ale Hatfield, William Ellett, Aden Gainey Sarah Gainey, Benoni Blackmore, Mrs. Shields, Jesse Boruff, Minnie Hennon James M. Hudson, Grace Lehman, Fannie Crabbe, Paul Weatherwax, Lester Laughlin, B. D. Hudson, Blanche Lehman and Kathyrn Mc Kissick.
  • Park school (Richland twp) discontinued 1959. Teachers 1911/2, May Osborn,; 1959, Celia Grove & Virgie Holt.
  • Park School (Stockton twp.) built 1908 located it the east end of the Linton Park. Teachers: Lula Shanklin, Mr. Yates, Bess Barry, Floyd Mc Cullough, Milo Mithcell, Bernice Yeoman.
  • Parks School (Wright) - discontinued 1941
  • Pleasant Grove School (Stafford twp.)
  • Plum Branch School (Wright twp) - discontinued 1937
  • Plummer School (Washington twp.) built in 1840 on land donated by William Thomas Plummer. Log school house was replaced by a frame house that burnt and was replaced in 1904 with a brick one. It fell within to districts. Was discontinued 1923/4. Teacher's: 1911, Pete C. Sexton; 1923/4, Ruth M. Fields
  • Point Commerce School (Jefferson twp) district #6 Sec. 15 T8N R5N was discontinued abt 1928
  • Prairie School (Washington twp.) - discontinued 1915. Teachers: 1911 Grace Wright; 1915, Franchen Houser
  • Prairie College/Parairie School (Smith twp.) Combined with Switz City school 1947/8. Teachers: Mrs. Calvert; Mr. Boling; Mrs. Abreans; 1946/7, Mildred E. Worokamn
  • Red Cut School (Jackson twp.) Said to have got its name from the red clay on which it stood district 12 discontinued 1947
  • Red Ruff or Roof School (Wright twp.) it had a red roof and was discontinued in 1939
  • Roberts School (Fairplay Twp.) discontinued 1927 Teachers: 1908/9, Luvi J. Bauer; 1927, Ollie Gheen.
  • Rolliston School (Fairplay twp) - built in 1899 and discontinued in 1920/1
  • Ruth School (Taylor twp.) This school was also known as Taylor Township
  • School No. 11 and was located on John RUTH's land in Section 9, Township 6 North, Range 4 West in Taylor Township, Greene Co, Indiana. On Wednesday morning April 21, 1928 the school house caught fire from the chimney. The fire had gained great headway before the teacher, Walter BOLING, arrived and only a few pupils were there. Some of the books, desks and other furniture were saved but the building was totaly consumed. The school lacked four days of completing the 1926 term. Was discontinued about 1926 Teachers: 1919/20, Ollie Gheen
  • Sandborn School (Center twp.) discontinued in 1958/ Teahcers: Dallus Hoke
  • Sassafras School (Stockton twp)- abt 1910 discontinued 1944
  • Scotland School (Taylor twp.) 1st school was built just before the Civil War and was used until 1870; 1st High school was built 1912 and discontinued in 1955 when Consolidated with the Bloomfield District Schools. The grade school were no longer in existence in 1942.
  • Sharkey School (richland twp) also known as Metamoris also. Teachers: 1911/2 Troy Coppin; Tona Shipoman.
  • Shepherd School (Washington twp.)
  • Shiloh School (Washington twp.) known as School District #4 built in 1915 and burned in 1924 and students were transferred to Lyons. Teachers were: Harvey L.
  • Skunk Ridge School (Stockton twp.) district #6 NE Corner Sec. 31 1 1/2 mi. S. of Four-Way Bridge & E 1/4 mi. Discontinued 1938/9 and moved into Linton at where the Grace Gospel Church was located at. Teachers: Ann Herdon.; 1948/9, Ethel Saucerman.
  • Smith School (Highland twp.) built on land owned by William McDaniel. When Fort Wilson School closed the students came here and when Smith closed in 1947 the students went to Calvertville. Teachers: Helen Floyd, Mente Sharr, Leland Hamilton, Stanley Hamilton, Mildred Kirlan, Lois Hobson, Clara Bull Harshman.
  • Solsberry School (Beech Creek) - 1917 1st classes were fall of 1918; remodeled in 1928 & 1947. 1959 saw consolidation with Center and Jackson twp school being called Eastern Consolidated District. Last graduating class was class of 1961.
  • South Linton School (Stockton twp) Sec. 23 built in 1889 discontinued 1956
  • Sparks School (Beech Creek)
  • St. Peter's Catholic School (Stockton twp.) construction began 1904 and it opened int 909 1st lay teachers taught thru 1923; Sisters of Providence came from St. Mary's of the Woods; about 1975 it closed its doors.
  • Stafford School (Stafford twp.) discontinued about 1921 Teachers: 1911/2, Madge Squires.
  • Stalcup School (Washington Twp.) discontinued in 1922. Teachers: 100/1, Win Hornbeck; 1901/2, Frank Jordon; 1911, Ray Skillett; 1922, Myrtle T. Keller.
  • Stanley School (Jefferson twp.) - district #2 Sec. 10 T8N R5W and was consolidated with College Hill School in 1912/3
  • Street School (Taylor twp.) discontinued about 1939
  • Sunbean School (Smith twp.) Teachers: 1911/2. Thomas A. Crubaugh
  • Switz City Central School ( Fairplay & Grant twp.) - Formed in 1949 with the addition of Smith twp to the school system and in 1951 Newberry students of Cass twp. Merged into the school system with the high school students being transferred to Switz City first and then the grade and junior high following No longer in exists as of 1989 see White River Valley.
  • Switz City School ( Fairplay & Grant twp) started as a 2 room brick school house built 1898 by Fred Himebrook who made the brick and took the contract. and then 4 more rooms were added. In 1900 a 3 year high school course was established. This building and another was built in 1912 and it burned. The 3rd school was built and it was in Grant twp. and burned in 1936. The 4th was erected in Fairplay twp. Teachers: C. B. Hollar; 1911/2, James Drennon.
  • Tally School (Jefferson twp.) - burned in 1997.
  • Taylor Ridge School (Taylor Twp.)- known as district #8 and was discontinued about 1927
  • Taylor School (Center twp.) discontinued 1921
  • Thomas School (Cass twp.)
  • Tulip School (Richland twp.) also known as Smith discontinued 1937. Teachers: 1911/2 O. M. Buckner; 1927, Laytimer D. Leavitt
  • Vicksburg School (Wright twp) discontinued 1942
  • Waggoner School (grant twp.) burnt in 1928
  • Wakefield School (Grant twp.) - replaced by Lawson School. SE corner of Sec. 16
  • Walnut Grove School (Richland twp.) - Teachers: 1917/8, Inez I. Foster
  • Wells School (Washington twp.) 1878, land donated by J. W. Wells. Burnt and replaced by brick. Discontinued in 1923. Teachers: 1900/1, Orville Hickman; 1911, Ira Spears; 1923, Lydia A. Yancey
  • Wesner School (Cass twp)
  • West Island School (Stafford twp.) discontinued 1936. Teachers: 1911/2, Glen Garrison & Grace Meredith
  • White oak School (Taylor twp) discontinued about 1939
  • White River Valley School Corporation - 3 school systems consolidated in 1987 and as of 1 January 1988 became united under this name. This school corporation entails 7 townships. Schools uniting under this merger were: Switz City Central; Worthington-Jefferson and L& M.
  • White School (Cass twp.)
  • White Rose School (Stockton twp.) district #5 built late 1800's on White Rose Rd. abt 3 mi W of Linton discontinued . Teachers: Mrs. Berry, Aldon Tucker, Mr. Bransetter 1956
  • Wild Cat School (Richland twp.) - closed after 1962, Teachers: 1911/2, E. A. Quillen.
  • Winters School (Grant twp.) - abandoned 1927. Teachers: Elnora Switz; 1927, Nellie Combs
  • Workman School (Richland twp.) - discontinued 1941. Teachers: 1911/2, Iva Moode; 1941, Charles B. Barnes.
  • Worthington School (Jefferson Twp.) - There were two schools in 1870 one at S. Myra & Park St. and the other at N. Jefferson & Union St. April 1875 authorized the issued of $16,000 in bonds for a new school Consolidated with Jefferson twp. In 1878 a 3 year high school course was arranged and was the 1st high school in county and later was commissioned being the first one until 1889. Schools. 1897 Primary 1 was built on S. Park and Myra. In 1910 an addition was added and the gymnasium in 1945. In 1955 a new school was built and the new building combined all schools into one.
  • Wright School (Wright twp.) - discontinued 1931