Wright Township Biographies
Dr. W. H. H. Asbury, son of W. D. and Elizabeth (Bowman) Asbury, is a native of Kentucky, as were also his parents, his birth occuring August 5, 1840, in Fleming County. When nine years old, he removed with his parents to Sullivan County, Ind., where he was reared and educated, his schooling being finished at Farmersburg Seminary. He was employed in school teaching for about three years, afterward going to Centerville, Vigo County, and beginning the study of medicine under the tuition of Dr. Hollingsworth. In 1868, lie took a course of lectures at the Ohio Medical College, Cincinnati, but did not graduate until attending a second course in 1875. Dr. Asbury is one of Greene County's best physicians, and previous to his location at Jasonville, in 1876, he carried on a good practice, at. different times,. in Centerville Freedom, Sandborn and Middletown. While at Freedom, his marriage, on the 1st of September, 1870, with Miss Ludie Landrum, was solemnized, and to this union have been born three children?Maud L., Pearl and Lulu. Mrs. Asbury was born in Owen County, Ind., July 22, 1850, a daughter of R. B. and S. J. Landrum, who were natives respectively of Virginia and Indiana. Dr. Asbury is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and although a Democrat in politics is inclined in his belief to the doctrines of the National Greenback party.
George Baughman, son of Jacob and Margaret M. (Houser) Baughman, was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, July 6, 1833. His parents were natives of Maryland and Virginia respectively, but removed to Coshocton County, Ohio, at an early day, where they became known as one of the best and wealthiest families of that portion of the country. Jacob Baughman departed this life in March, 1876, but his widow still survives him and resides in Coshocton County. George Baughman was raised a farmer, in youth securing a fair education. In 1854, he moved west to the Hoosier State and settled in Greene County on his present place in Wright Township, giving $1.25 and $2.50 per acre for a quarter-section. He immediately began improving this property, and as his means increased, would add to what he already had, so that by economy and industry, he now Owns a valuable farm of 440 acres. He is one of the best citizens Wright Township ever had, and his influence has been greatly felt in the advancement of educational and religious matters of the community. He has taught school in the neighborhood for a number of terms, and from his own individual means contributed largely in the erection of the Now Lebanon Church, which is both a blessing and an ornament to the township In 1803, he became a private in Company A, One Hundred and Fifteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, serving as such eight months, when he was changed to Company B, Fifty-third Indiana Volunteers, being finally discharged at Louisville, Ky., July 21, 1805. Mr. Baughman was married, May 5, 1855, to Miss Emily Larr; who was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, June 25 1832, a daughter of David and Nancy (Miller) Larr, natives respectively of Pennsylvania and Virginia. Mrs. Baughman came with her parents to Greene County, Ind., when thirteen years old, and by Mr. Baughman is the mother of eight living children?Miriam M., William E., Matilda N., Mary D., George A., Jacob, Emma S., and David, and one deceased, Margaret E. Mr. Baughman is one of the representatives of what a poor boy can do under adverse circumstances On his arrival, he had only one horse?blind?sent to him from Ohio by his father, and 5 cents in money. The latter was used to defray postage on a letter to his old mother, and for this, if no other reason, Mr. Baughman is rewarded with prosperity for his filial devotion.
John Bledsoe is a son of David and Elizabeth (Groves) Bledsoe, both of whom were natives of North Carolina, from whence they removed to Eastern Tennessee at an early day, and from there to Greene County, Ind., in 1837, where Mr. Bledsoe died in August, 1877. John Bledsoe is a native of East Tennessee, where he was born June 5, 1820, and iE of Dutch and Scottish descent. When seventeen years of age, he came with his parents to Indiana, shortly after which he located a "claim," and began improving. In 1861, he erected a mill, and this he yet operates in conjunction with farming. Mr. Bledsoe is one of the progressive men of his locality, is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and a Democrat in politics. In 1810, he was elected Constable of his township, serving as such five years, the succeeding two years holding the office of District Trustee. In 1856, he was elected Justice of the Peace, in which capacity he served until the winter of 1857-58, when he was elected Doorkeeper in the House of Representatives. Mr. Bledsoe has been twice married, his first wife being Nancy Eveans, to whom be was married in Greene County in April, 1830. Mrs. Bledsoe was a member of the family of Walter and Rachel (Jones) Eveans, who were natives of Tennessee. She became the mother of nine children, whose names are William, Mary, Sallie, Isaac W., Elizabeth, David H., Rebecca A., Rachel C. and James A. The mother died August 1, 1877, and- May 28, 1879, Mr. Bledsoe and Mrs. Lyda M. -Watkins were married, in Sullivan County. Mrs. Bledsoe was born on the 14th of September, 1837, and both husband and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.
Martin Bonham, a native of Harrison County, Ohio, was born October 8, 1818, a son of David and Tacy (Phillips) Bonham, who were natives of the Old Dominion, and early pioneers of the Buckeye State. Martin is the sixth born in a family of ten children, and when yet a small lad, was taken to Tuscarawas County, Ohio, by his parents, where he was raised, and where, by dint of considerable self-application, he secured a good elementary education. When eighteen years of age, he began life's battle on his own responsibility, and choosing farming, has always made that his vocation. In 1832, be became a resident of G:eene County, and purchasing 160 acres of land, where he now resides, began improving it. He began life with but little or no means at his command, but by industry and frugality secured an estate of 600 acres. This Mr. Bonham has decreased somewhat by his liberality with his children, but he yet retains a good farm, which is underlaid and surrounded with large fields of coal of a superior quality. November 5, 1840, he was married to Elizabeth Hiller, who was born in Jefferson County, Penn., July 9, 1821, a daughter of Peter and Mary (Milliken) Hiller. Eight children have blessed their union, as follows: Mary S., Martin H., Samuel, David P., William J., Margaret A., Eliza J. and Rebecca G. Mr. Bonham is one of Greene County's early pioneers, and where he has lived so long and become so widely known, he is universally liked and respected.
Andrew Campbell was born May 4, 1806, in Whitley County, Ky., and is a son of William and Mary (Gilless) Campbell, both of whom were natives of the Old Dominion. When only a small lad, Andrew, together with his parents, immigrated to Clark County, Ind., but about four years later removed to Lawrence County, where Andrew received the greater portion of his schooling. July 22, 1824, he was united ip marriage with Isabella Daugherty, who was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, in the year 1806, a daughter of William and Elizabeth (Tanner) Daugherty. Mr. Campbell and family came to Greene County in 1846, and, purchasing an unimproved tract of land, located upon it and engaged in farming and stock-raising. This property he sold in 1882, and, removing to Jasonville, embarked in the drug business, at which he is at present engaged. After a long life of usefulness, Mrs. Campbell died, after blessing her husband with a family of twelve children?James, William, Andrew M., John, Mary E., George W., Ever-most J.. Dellacour, Betsy, Hannah, Sarah L. and Alzira. Mr. Campbell married Mrs. Margarette Bonham October 18, 1874, in Greene County, for his second wife, and they are among the leading people in Wright Township. Mrs. Campbell was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, November 17, 1817. Mr. Campbell is a Jackson Democrat in politics, and a member of the Baptist Church.
James Gibson, a progressive farmer of Wright Township. was born in Lancaster County, Penn., November 13, 1817. His parents, Alexander and Nancy (Thompson) Gibson, were natives of the Emerald Isle, but emigrated to the United States about 1813, settling near Harrisburg, Penn., where they worked at the weaver's trade, having pursued this vocation in their native country. In 1820, they removed to Coshocto' County, Ohio, where Mr. Gibson died in September, 1871. James Gibson was largely reared and educated in Ohio, where he was married on the 2d of November, 1837, to Miss Thorsa Hayse, daughter of Jeremiah and Nancy (Norris) Hayse, who removed from Virginia to Coshocton County, Ohio, at an early period in the history of that country. Mr. and Mrs Gibson are the parents of an interesting family of thirteen children? John, Alexander, Nancy J., Delia M., William, Elizabeth E.. Mahala C., Mary A., Harvey W., Margaret J., James L., Sarah M. and George F. Mr. Gibson is one of the prominent Republicans of Wright Township.
Rev. Joseph T. Hanna, a son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Hammers) Hanna, is a native of Greene County, Penn., born February 7, 1811. When nine years old, his parents removed to Jackson County, Ind., where his father died in 1834. In Jackson County, the subject of this sketch was reared to manhood's estate and, being endowed with a bright mind, he early espoused the cause of Christianity, and in 1836 was ordained a minister of the Gospel, his first cliarge being at Gilgal Baptist Church, in Lawrence County. In 1849, he came to Greene County, and, purchasing property in Wright Township, has ever since made it his home. For forty-eight years, he has been preaching Christianity throughout Greene and neighboring counties, and besides this has looked after his farming interests, and for ten years taught public school. On his first location in the county, or shortly thereafter, he obtained possession of 500 acres of land, but he has since decreased this by giving to his children, until he now owns but 260 acres. On the 19th of May, 1831, he was joined in marriage with Lucy Mitchell, who was born in Ashe County, N. C., June 27, 1814, a daughter of Levi and Celia (Davis) Mitchell. To this union have been born the following family: Ambrose, Levi, Jesse, Elizabeth, Lemuel and Doctor, living; and Isaac, Rebecca J., Celia, Abram and one unnamed, deceased. Mr. Hanna is one of the prominent men of northwestern Greene County, and is always identified with the progress of his community. He takes an active interest in educational matters, and besides affording his own children proper advantages for a good schoolinfi, he has partially educated five others.
Dr. Ephraim Morgan, the second in a family of nine.children, is a native of Hamilton County, Ohio, his birth occurring September 22, 1826. He was reared in his native county, and after receiving the benefits to be derived from the neighborhood schools, completed his literary studies at the Ohio Farmers College in 1845, after which he began the study of medicine at Cleves, under the advisement of Dr. A. G. Collier. In 1847, he entered the Ohio Medical College of Cincinnati, graduating from that institution in the spring of 1850. He then opened an office at Cleves, remaining there until 1853, when he came to Sullivan County, Ind., where for about eight years he conducted a very large and successful practice. In 1861, he located on his present farm, which consists of 200 acres of excellent land, where, in conjunction. with farming, he has followed his chosen profession, although during the past few years he has not confined his labors so exclusively to medicine as heretofore. His marriage with Miss Margaret E. Spencer was celebrated in Bartholomew County, Ind., in 1853, Mrs. Morgan having been born in Clinton County, Ohio, in May, 1837, a daughter of John R. and Mary (Hinxton) Spencer, both of whom were natives of the Buckeye State. One son, Edgar A., and one daughter, Alice, have blessed their union, the latter dying in infancy. Dr. Morgan is one of the leading citizens of Wright Township, is a Democrat in politics, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Lewis Morgan, his father, was born at Bainbridge, Mass., in September, 1790, and was of Puritanic ancestors. In about 1810, he came to Hamilton County, Ohio, and for a long time was mail carrier between Cincinnati and Dayton. In 1853, he settled in Curry Township, Sullivan Co., Ind., where he remained engaged in farming until his death in October, 1882. She who became his wife and the mother of Dr. Morgan was Sarah J. Wright, who was a native of Eastern Maryland, and who died in Sullivan County, Ind., in July, 1883.
C. M. D. Parks, the youngest of three children born to Charles and Nancy (Richcreek) Parks, is a native of Coshocton County, Ohio, born August 2, 1827. His father was a native of Columbiana County, Ohio, and his mother of Loudoun County, Va. ; they were married in the Buckeye State, and their three children were Andrew, Thomas and Charles M. D. The mother being left a widow, she was married to John. Gordon in 1839, and by him had one son?George W. Mrs. Gordon died in Greene County, Ind., in 1869. The father of the subject of this sketch dying when he was but a small boy, he was taken by his grandfather, Thomas Richcreek, who raised and educated him and taught him the cabinet trade.. In 1856, he started West for the purpose of bettering his circumstances, and coming to Greene County settled on his present place, which now consists of 200 acres of excellent farming land. On first coming to the county, he worked at his trade, and in time erected a cabinet and blacksmith shop on his property. Being tasty and thoroughgoing in his work, Mr. Parks has added to his place until it is now among the best farms in the township. In politics, he is a stanch Republican, and during the war was an ardent supporter of President Lincoln's administration, for which he was vigorously denounced and threatened with dire vengeance by rebel sympathizers. Notwithstanding all these murderous innuendoes, he continued encouraging enlistment, and upholding the cause of freedom and equal rights to all until the ratification of peace. He has steadily declined all political honors, preferring to remain at home with his family. He was married in his native county, November 2, 1848, to Mary E. Richcreek, a daughter of David W. and Dorcas E. (Wasson) Richcreek, and to them have been born this family: Almedia J., Hannah C., Miranda E., James P., William L., Mary L., Charles F. and Lewis A., living; and Nancy D., Eliza C. and one unnamed, deceased. This family is among the best in the county, and one of the most accomplished, all being good musicians and possessed of more than ordinary intelligence. Surrounded with all these comforts, home is indeed a blessing to Mr. Parks.
James P. Parks, eldest son of C. M. D. and Mary E. (Richcreek) Parks, was born in Greene County, Ind., February 10, 1861, and was reared on the farm of his parents. His early schooling was obtained in the country near his home, but subsequently he attended the graded schools of Sullivan, the business school at Bloomfield, the Lebanon Normal and Business College, and finally the Sullivan Normal School, finishing in June, 1883. He is now engaged in teaching his second term of school, and although young in years he has shown an ability in his profession which ranks him among the able educators of his county. He is bright and genial in his ways, a hard student and one of the public-spirited and enterprising young men of his township.
Joel Philbert, farmer, was born in Washington County, Ind., November 24, 1825, a son of Luke and Nancy (Lane) Philbert, who were natives of Kentucky, where they were reared, married and resided a number of years. They came to Washington County, this State, at an early day, but after a few years moved to Owen County, where they passed the remainder of their days engaged in agricultural pursuits. Joel Philbert was reared on the farm of his parents, his youthful years being passed in the pioneer pursuits which fell to the lot of the sons of early settlers. While in Owen County, he was married to Miss Ruth Bowen, and previous to the rebellion removed to Greene County, where he engaged in farming, and from where, in August, 1862, he enlisted in Company F, Ninety-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry. lie served his country with fidelity, participating in the battles of Jackson, Mission Ridge, all through the Atlanta campaign, with Sherman on his memorable march to the sea, and was finally discharged in Jane, 1865.. After the war he returned to his home in Greene County, where he-has since resided, and where his wife died July 12, 1876, after bearing a family of six children, as follows: Charles L., James B., George F., Florence M. and two that died in infancy. July 18, 1877, Mr. Philbert married for his second and present wife Mrs. Elizabeth Haney who was born in Ohio in the year 1833. The greater portion of Mr. Philbert's life has been passed in farming, although previous to the late war he made ten trips to New Orleans on flat-boats with grain, produce, etc. He began life a poor boy, and although not a man of great wealth, yet he has, by hard work and frugality, secured a good farm of 180 acres. In politics, he is a Democrat, although liberal in his views on all things. He is deeply interested all matters of public welfare, and is one of the county's well-known and useful citizens.
Sanders Pigg, son of James and Mary (Neeley) Pigg, of North Carolina and Virginia respectively, was born in White County, Tenn., May 13, 1813, but owing to the removal of his parents to McMinn County, he was reared to manhood in the last-named county. Six months was the sum total of his schooling advantages, but so well did lie improve this time that he learned to read and write readily and transact any ordinary business. Having considerable skill in the use of tools, he learned the carpenter's trade, and made that his occupation many years. Together with his parents, he removed to Sullivan County, Ind., in 1829, remaining with his father until twenty-one years of age, when ho located a " claim " in Wright Township, Greene County, but a year later exchanged this property for a farm owned by a brother-in-law, W. Gamble. This he has cleared and improved, and now owns a fine farm of 314 acres. In 1870, he erected his present brick dwelling, a building that reflects not only credit upon himself but his township as well In this county, on the 16th of October, 1832, he was married to Miss Hannah Gamble, who was born in White County, Tenn., in about the year 1818, the fifth child born to the union of Martin and Susan (Shadden) Gamble, both of whom were natives of the Old Dominion. To them eleven children have been born?Mary E., James, Morgan G., Wiley H., Susanna, Andrew J., John H., Eliza E., Elizabeth A., William C. and Emma. The last three named are deceased. Mr Pigg is a member of the Christian Church, a Democrat, and one of the few remaining of our old pioneers. On first coming to Indiana, it was a new country, filled with wild animals and game of various kinds, and so new was the country and so thick the game that Mr. Pigg.has seen as many as eighty-seven deer in one drove.
James Wright. Among the pioneers of what is now the State of Indiana, and among the first white settlers of Greene County, was Rev. Richard Wright, father of he whose name heads this sketch, and, figuratively speaking, the father of Wright Township. He was born June 15, 1783, in Randolph County, N. C., where his wife (Elizabeth Hughes) was also born June 15, 1783. They emigrated to Clarke County, Ind., as early as 1807, and engaged in farming. During the war of 1812, Mr, Wright enlisted, and was out during the entire service, being slightly wounded while working on Fort Harrison, and being under the command of Col. Thompson when the renowned Indian Chief, Tecumseh, was killed. After the war a few years, lie moved to Washington County. but two years later removed to Monroe County, where he was engaged in blacksmithing a short time. In March, 1826, he settled in old Smith Township, Greene County, and in 1838 wrote the petition for the organization of Wright Township; secured signers for this petition, and carried it before the March term of the court, where it was granted. This same year he was made Justice of the Peace, also acting as Trustee for the Sixteenth Section, which he surveyed and put upon the market. In November, 1843, be was accidentally killed by a gunshot. James Wright was born in Monroe County, this State, May 5, 1825, but when an infant was brought by his parents to Greene County, which has always been his home. He received only such education in youth as the common schools of that early day afforded, and in early years learned the blacksmith trade, which he still follows in conjunction with farming. He owns eighty acres of land south of Jasonville, is a member of the Christian Church, and a Democrat in politics. In 1858, he was elected Trustee of the township, serving as such three years, and in 1862 was re-elected, continuing. until 1866. While serving in this capacity, Mr. Wright organized the popular Congressional, road and school districts. For the past fourteen years, he has acted as agent for various machine companies, both as local and traveling salesman. He was married, October 29, 1845, to Delia J. Ellixson, who was born July 24, 1829, a daughter of Jeremiah and Wineford (Gilstrap) Ellixson, both of whom were natives of Washington County, Ind. Mr. and Mrs. Wright are parents of six living children - James W., Zelpha E., Mary E., Nancy E., Alice E. and John M.; and six deceased - Francis M., Wineford J., George W., Ezekial H., Delila M., and one unnamed.