Taylor Township Biographies
William C. Bennett, nurseryman and farmer, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, in 1844, and is one of five living children in a family of seven born to Macabus and Eleanor (Wishard) Bennett. His father dying in 1853, Mrs. Bennett, with the remainder of the family, removed to Greene County, Ind., in 1851, and here William C. was principally raised and educated. At sixteen years of age, he began for himself, and his labors have met with deserved success. He now owns 420 acres of land and one of the best nurseries in Indiana. His stock is of the best, and is carefully selected. It consists of the best and hardiest varieties of trees, which, being grown in the soil of Greene County, renders the stock much more desirable for people living in Southern Indiana than that furnished by foreign nurseries. Mr. Bennett is one of the reliable men of the county, and is universally respected as an honorable citizen. He married Miss Jennie B. Phillips in 1877, and three children have been born to them?Effie A., Angie L. and Cora M.
Samuel Blackmore, a well-to-do citizen of Scotland, is a native of the " Buckeye State," born in 1829. He was liberally educated in them common schools, was raised on a farm, and when eighteen years old started on life's voyage as a steamboat land on the Ohio River. At the end of three years; he left the water, and in 1850 clime to Greene County, Ind., where he has since resided. For thirty-three years, he has been a resident of Taylor Township, and by a life of industry and good management has accumulated considerable property. Besides owning valuable property in Scotland, where he is established in merchandising, he owns 320 acres of good farming and grazing land in Taylor Township, and 620 acres in Kansas. Mr. Blackmore is one of the reliable men of the county; is a Democrat in politics, and was married in 1851 to Miss Matilda Mackall, by whom he is the father of nine children?Thomas D.,' Benoni W., Caroline V.,. George F., John M.,1 Charles S , Napoleon B., Samuel F. and Cora E. Fora sketch of his parents, see the biography of Mr. Blackmore's three brothers.
George W. Charles and James Blackmore, sons of Benoni and Eleanor (Mackall) Blackmore, are among the most prosperous citizens of Greene County and are pleasantly situated in Taylor Township, where they own 2,300 acres of excellent land, on which they are engaged extensively in farming and stock-raising. They came with their parents to Greene County in 1850, where the father died in 1870, followed by his widow five years later. They were the parents of ten children, seven yet living, and one (Samuel) is appropriately mentioned elsewhere in this work. The three brothers whose names form the subject of this notice all live together on their large farm. James is the only one married, his wife being Miss Margaret E. Geddes.) Their nuptials were celebrated in 1861, and to their union six children have been born ?Charles A., Elizabeth J., George D., Samuel, Ella J. and Carrie E
Capt. William Bough, a veteran of the Mexican war and the rebellion, was born in Bath County, Ky., November 14, 1823, and is a son of Frederick and Rebecca (Season) Bough, who settled in Highland Township, Greene County, Ind , in 1827. Frederick Bough was a farmer, and died in 1876, but his widow yet survives him,_ and resides near Scotland at eighty years of age. From the time he was twenty-one years old, William Bough has been doing for himself, and in this time has accumulated land to the amount of over 200 acres. On this he resides, and his attention is largely occupied in rearing blooded horses and cattle, besides looking after his large farm. His military experience was in joining Company E, Second Indiana Volunteers, in June, 1846, and participating in the battles of Buena Vista, where he was severely wounded through the right shoulder by a musket ball, and a part of the engagement at Monterey. In 1861, he helped recruit Company 0, Twenty-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry, but from the ranks was commissioned First Lieutenant on the 29th of July of the same year. He was in the battles of Baton Rouge and Port Hudson; and a remarkable exploit of his was in the spring of 1862, when he was put in command of twelve men, and detailed to guard a railroad bridge not far from New Orleans. With two men he crossed a bayou to an island on a reconnoitering expedition, and discovered over a score of rebels encamped in a canebrake guarding two dismounted pieces of artillery. It being dark, and these three men being armed with breech-loading carbines, they made a dash on the elle* my through the underbrush, yelling, shooting and re-loading, and making such a noise that they were evidently mistaken for a full-fledged company. The rebels fled in dismay, white the victors hurried the captured pieces back to where the remainder of the detachment was stationed. These two guns were six-pounder Spanish pieces, and were the identical ones Mr. Bough helped capture at Monterey in 1840. He was ordered to confiscate mules to draw these pieces, which, on being properly manned, was placed in command as a light artillery which received the appellation of the "Jackass Battery." The winter of 1863-64, Mr. Bough re-enlisted, was veteranized, and December 9, 1863, was commissioned Captain of his company. He served through the battles of Mobile and the Spanish Fort, at the latter being in command of four 64-pounder howitzers: Besides the above-mentioned engagements in which he was an active participant, Capt. ,Bough saw much other hard service which space prevents publishing, but among which was his capture with twelve men of the blockade runner " Fox," or properly known as the." Hartford." He remained in the service until January 10, 1866, when he was discharged at Indianapolis, in command of the regiment. Capt. Bough is an old wheel-horse of the Republican party, and is one of the county's best citizens. He was married, March 29, 1844, to Mary Ann Hoffman, who 'died February 2, 1881, without issue. Although no children were born to them, they reared and educated several orphan children, to whom they were the same as parents.
Dr. William H. Burke, Scotland, was born in Martinsville, Morgan County, Ind , January 4, 1851. By the removal of his parents, William H. and Martha (Dayhuff) Burke, to Putnam County, he was here largely raised. William H. Burke, Sr., was an attorney, and practiced his profession largely in Greene and Putnam Counties, until his death at Bloomfield. Dr. Burke began the practice of medicine at the age of twenty-two years, with Dr. A. J. Dunnington, of Cloverdale, and March 4, 1881, graduated from the Fort Wayne College of Medicine. In 18'78, he became a resident of Greene County, and is now located at Scotland, where he has acquired a lucrative practice and where he and family are universally respected. Aside from his profession, Dr Burke received but ordinary schooling advantages. As was his father, he is a Republican in politics. To his marriage with Miss Flora A., daughter of Dr H, G. and Rhoda Dyer, of Cloverdale, one child has been born?Elfleda, born October 1, 1875, in Owen County.
Daniel M. Bynum was born in Cass Township, Greene County, Ind., December 30, 1846. His father, John V. Bynum, was a native of North Carolina, and came with his? parents to Greene County, Ind., in 1818, he at that time being only four years old. He was raised in a manner comparative with those early times, and in about 1841 married Rebecca O'Neil. to which union nine children were born, five of whom yet live. The father died August 5, 187(3, but Mrs. Bynum is now living on the old homestead. David M. Bynum received only a common schooling, and until twenty years old assisted his parents on the home farm. May 25, 1872, he was united in marriage with Miss Lois E. Gilbert, a native of Ohio, and by her is the father of six children, only these?Haddie M., Mina 0. and Huldah?yet living. Mr. Bynum is one of the progressive men of Greene County, as well as one of its substantial citizens He is a member of the I. 0. O. F., is a Democrat, and owns a. fine farm of 400 acres where he now resides, in Taylor Township. In 1876, he was selected by his party as the nominee for County Sheriff, and, although the county is Republican, was elected by a majority of twenty-two votes. In 1878, ho was re-elected by a majority of 231 ballots,
Lincoln Chaney, son of Samuel and Keziah (Flater) Chaney, and grandson of Thomas and Nancy (Frye) Chaney, was born in Greene County, Ind., in 1861. His father settled in Greene County in 1845, and he and his wife were the parents of twelve children. They are yet living on the old homestead, and are among the best citizens of Richland Township. Lincoln Chaney was raised on the farm of his parents, received a fair education when a boy, and by persistent pluck and industry has established himself as one of the promising young men of the county. He began as a merchant at Mineral City in 1872, with a capital of $250. By judicious investments, he has from time to time increased his stock as ilia means would allow, until he at present is worth about $1,500. Besides having a good general store, Mr. Chaney is engaged in mining and the sale of coal. He is a Republican in politics, and a young man destined to make his mark.
Andrew J. Dickey, a native of Ohio, was born in 1826, and is a son of Wilson S. and Elizabeth (Riley) Dickey, who settled in Greene County in 1852, and where his father died seven years later. His mother yet lives in the " Buckeye State," and she is a daughter of Nancy Riley, who was a long resident of this county, but who moved back to Ohio in 1880, where she died a few weeks later at the advanced age of one hundred and two years. Andrew J Dickey began working at blacksmithing and engineering when twenty years old but for the past thirty-one years he has resided three miles east of Scotland, where he is operating one of the successful flouring mills of the county. He secured only an ordinary schooling in youth, but by self-study has become one of the well-posted men of Taylor Township. He was married in 1850 to Miss Margaret J. Logan, by whom he is the father of two children?Elza R. and Lillie J. He married his second and present wife, Miss Louisa Crush, in 1864, and eight children have Crowned their union, only the following named yet living : Francis A., Cynthia E., John H., Ida, Clara E., Samuel T. and Emma M.
Levi F. Fellows was born in Greene County in 1850, and is a son of John D. and Celestia Fellows, and grandson of Col. Levi Fellows, who entered the land where our subject now resides in 1819, and who will be remembered by the pioneers as one of the county's oldest and most prominent men. John D. Fellows was only three months old when his parents settled in Greene County, consequently he was raised and brought up with the county from its infancy. Levi F., at the age of eighteen, embarked in mercantile pursuits at Worthington. continuing the same ten years. Since then he has been engaged in farming and stock-dealing, and at present owns 110 acres of good land. His early education was obtained in the common schools, and in 1873 he was married to Miss L. A. Forbes, to their union being born two children? John R and Don Carlos. Four generations of the Fellows family have resided in Greene County, and they have become widely known for their upright dealings, intelligence and enterprise. Levi F. is a Republican, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in general is a fair representative of his family.
James Ferguson, a native of "Bonny Scotland," was born in 1819, and when four years old his parents, William and Christina (Cullen) Ferguson, left the land of his birth, crossed the Atlantic to New York, and became residents of the United States. He received only a common school education, and early in life worked in woolen mills for a number of years, but since coming to Greene County, Ind., in 1850, he has been engaged in farming. Mr. Ferguson married Miss Margaret . Baker in 1847, and ten children have been the fruit of their union?Barbara A., William B., James C., John, Benjamin F. Catharine, Christina, Mary E., George W. and Ida. He is an enterprising and industrious citizen, owns a good farm of 180 acres, is a Republican in politics, and has served his township two +^' 's each as Justice of the Peace and Trustee.
Daniel T. Geddes was born in Ohio, in 1836, and came with his parents, Samuel and Jane (Herbert), Geddes, to Greene County, Ind., in 1851, where his father died in 1875, and his mother in 1874. Daniel T. was raised on the farm of his parents, was fairly educated in the district schools, and when twenty-three years old engaged in farming and stock-dealing on his own responsibility. He is a Democrat in politics. a member of the A., F. & A. M. is the owner of 120 acres of good land, and is one of the substantial citizens of the county. He was united in marriage with Miss Margaret A. Skomp, in 1859, and seven children have been born to them, the ones here named yet living: Laura B., Samuel H. and M. F. The mother is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Dr. John W. Hannah, a native of the Buckeye State, was born December 4, 1842 and was raised in Gallipolis. He is a son of Thomas D. and Rachel (Riley) Hannan, and since 1865 has been a resident of Greene County. He received but a moderate schooling in youth, learned and worked at the harness?maker's trade for some time, but afterward studied medicine and graduated from the Miami Medical College of Cincinnati. In 1868, he began the practice of his profession, and is now located in Scotland, Greene County, where by success and industry he is known as one of the best practitioners in the county. Dr. Hannan is a Republican in politics, as was also his father. He was married, in 1869, to Miss Elizabeth J. Crook, and six children have resulted from this union?Minnie B., Nellie G., Effie V., Junius H., John W. and Clara L. Mrs. Hannan is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
James H. Hanna, Justice of the Peace and attorney at law, was born in Jefferson County, Ind.., in 1845. His parents, Alexander A. and Rachel (Matthews) Hanna, were married in 1842, came to Greene County, Ind., some twelve years later, and were the parents of six children, all living . but one. James H. was raised a fanner, and on the breaking-out of the rebellion volunteered his services in the cause of his country, and was honorably discharged for disability at the end of two years and eight months. He was a member of Company E, Fifty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was a valiant participant in the battles of New Madrid, Island No. 10, Iuka, Corinth, Jackson and through the siege of Vicksburg, where, owing to the hardships of the siege, health failed, and was the cause of his discharge. Since the war, he has been extensively engaged in school teaching and other educational matters. Mr. Hanna is a Republican and was united in marriage with Miss Emma V. Smith in 1874.
Christian Hasler, a progressive and prosperous farmer, is a native of Switzerland, born in the year 1821. Together with his parents, Peter and Elizabeth (Kalb) Hasler, who crossed the Atlantic in 1845, and, being poor, started West, where land was cheap, with the determination of . building for himself a home. August 1, 1845, he located in Taylor Township, Greene County Ind., where he has since continued to reside. His mother died in 4.865, and his father in 1876. Christian began for himself, a poor boy, and the characteristic traits of German people consisting of industry and frugality, has been a marked feature in his life. By the hardest of labor, he has secured a well-stocked farm of 580 acres, besides being free from debt, and with money loaned out to less fortunate neighbors. Mr. Hasler is a Democrat in politics, and while living in his native country served four years in the regular army. He has been twice married, by his first wife, Sarah Stone, being the father of three children?Margaret, Henry and Elizabeth. He married for his second wife, Margaret Feutz, in 1851. ,
Joseph L. Keith, Assessor of Taylor Township, was born in Knox County, Ohio in 1854, and is a son of Warren C. and Elizabeth (Chambers) Keith. He received a fair education in the common schools, and at twenty years of age began doing for himself. In 1877, he became a resident of Greene County and located in Taylor Township, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1880, he was elected Assessor of his township, and as such served one full term. By the resignation of Mr. Dickey, who was the Assessor for 1883, the County Auditor appointed Mr. Keith to fill this vacancy, and in this capacity he is now serving. He was married to Mrs. Cora Moore, widow of James Moore, in 1877, and two children have blessed their union?Annie G. and W. W. Mr. Keith is a member of the Baptist Church, a Republican and one of the enterprising and progressive men of Taylor Township.
Mrs. Nancy A. Lester, widow of Peter S. Lester, is a native of Ohio, but removed with her parents to Greene County, Ind., in. 1841, she at that time being an infant. She was raised to hard work, as were the majority of children in those days, and in 1858 was united in marriage with Peter S.. Lester, whose birth occurred in Greene County in 1839, and whose life was blended with its history from his birth until the time of his death in 1869. He was an industrious and economical citizen, and universally respected by all who knew him. He and wife were parents of six children, the following being alive?Lizzie M., Joseph W., Charles S., Maggie M. and Mary. Mrs. Lester and family reside comfortably and happily on the old homestead in Taylor Township which consists of 200 acres of fine farming and grazing land She is, as was her husband a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
John Mackall, farmer and stock raiser, is a native of Ohio, his birth occurring in 1822, and he is one of fourteen children, eleven et living, born to Thomas and Sarah (Foster) Mackall, who were married in 1818. John Mackall was raised on a farm, in youth securing only such education as the district schools of that day afforded. On attaining his majority, he began for himself, and in 1858 came to Greene County, Ind., where he now owns a good farm of 390 acres. He began life a _4 poor boy and by diligence, hard work and good management has secured a competency. His marriage with Miss Ellen Dawson was solemnized in 1864, and two of the four children born- to their union are still living?Sarah E. and Thomas. Mr. Mackall is one of the wide-awake and progressive citizens of Taylor Township. In politics, he is a Democrat, 88 was also his father, who departed this life in about 1875, preceded by his wife about three years.
Samuel McElroy, an old and well-known. citizen of Taylor Township, was born in the " Keystone State" in 1822, was raised on a farm, and when twenty-three years old began doing for himself, a poor boy. In 1845, he came to Greene County, Ind., and with the exception of four years while he was engaged In merchandising in Scotland, under the firm name of Haig & McElroy, he has. been employed in farming and raising stock. By a life of hard work and prudential economy, Mr. McElroy has secured property in real estate amounting to 862 acres of good land. Re is a Republican in politics; and was married in 1844 to Miss Martha Stewart, by whom he was the father of eight children, four of whom are living?Matthew S., Mary L., Samuel C. and Lucy. The parents are members of the United Presbyterian Church, and Mr. McElroy is a son of Matthew and Eleanor (McConnell) McElroy, who were the parents of ten children, seven of whom are yet living.
William L. Mortland, a native of Jefferson County, Ohio, was born September 18, 1851, and is a son of John and Ann A. (Archer) Mortland, with whom he removed to Illinois in 1854, and from there to Greene County, Ind., some ten years later. John Mortland was twice married, six children, four yet living, being born to his first marriage, and to his second marriage with Miss Lucinda Wilson, none. William L. Mortland was raised on the farm of his parents, and during his youthful days secured a fair education. At the age of twenty years, he embarked on life's voyage on his own responsibility, and since then has been paddling his own canoe with the average success of mankind. His marriage with Miss Mollie S. McElroy was solemnized March 28, 1872, and four children have blessed their union--Martha Alice, Lizzie F., Anna B. and Samuel A.
Isaac Nicholson, Trustee of Taylor Township, was born noar Scotland, in Daviess County, Ind., in 1850, and is a son of Levi N. and Rhoda (Carpenter) Nicholson. Levi N. Nicholson was a native of Greene County, Ind., and was here raised to manhood. He was a soldier in the Mexican war, a Republican, and an honored citizen of the county. Isaac obtained only a common school education, and when twenty years of age began doing for himself. For the past twelve years he has been working at blacksmithing, and is also serving his first term as Township Trustee. A. tie of votes resulted in he and his opponent "drawing numbers," and, fortunately for Mr. Nicholson, his was the number that entitled him to his office. He was married when twenty-four years of age to Miss Mary E. Akin, who died, leaving one daughter --Norah E. To his second marriage with Miss Margaret Hasler, three children have been born?Rebecca 3., Elpha M. and John R.
Joshua M. Ogden, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, in 1839, and is a son of Benjamin B., a widely-known physician of Ohio and Mary A. (Malin) Ogden. While a young man, Joshua M. was engaged in book-keeping and clerking, but in 1861 he came to Greene County, Ind., and in 1862 enlisted as a private in Company A, -Ninety-Seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry. After serving about six months, he was commissioned Second Lieutenant, from that to First Lieutenant, and ultimately promoted to the Captaincy of his company. Capt. Ogden was .a brave and efficient soldier serving faithfully until the close of the rebellion. Since then, be has been engaged in agricultural pursuits, and at present owns 320 acres of fine farming and grazing land. He is a member of the Masonic brotherhood, a Republican, and was married to Miss Rebecca J. Blackmore in 1866, who died leaving three children?George B., Dawson B. and Benjamin M. His second wife was Miss Margaret Ledgerwood, to their union being born Mary, Grace and Nathaniel Ogden.
Dr. William A. O'Neal, Scotland, was born in Ohio in 1830, and came with his parents to Greene County, Ind., in 1846. His father, Abijah O'Neall, is yet living, and resides in Daviess County, but his mother, who was Miss Elizabeth Ennis, died in 1862. After his twenty-first year, William A. taught school and worked at the carpenter's trade until 1861, since when he has been chiefly engaged in the study and practice of medicine in Greene County. His literary education was completed at Asbury University, and his professional preceptor was Dr. James Dagley. Dr. O'Neall has been a member of the Masonic fraternity; is a Republican, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church. He was married in 1866 to Miss Rebecca Short, and the two children born to them both died in infancy.
John H. Summerville, one of the few remaining of our early pioneers, was born in Jeffersonville, Ind., in 1819. His parents, William and Jane (Haig) Summerville, were both natives of Scotland, and the year 1818 witnessed their marriage and removal across the Atlantic to this country. They were the parents of two children, and died respectively in 1821 and 1851. From the time he was four years old, John H. has been a resident of Greene County and here be received his education in the log schoolhouse of that day, was raised on a farm to chop wood, maul rails, clear land, farm, and in fact do as did the majority of the pioneers of this locality. When eighteen years old, he started out for himself, and by a life of arduous toil has secured a comfortable home. His marriage with Miss Miranda T. Crook was solemnized in 1856, and their fireside has been cheered by seven children, five of whom are yet living?William W., Elizabeth, Martha A., David and Mary C. Mr. Summerville has made this life a success, and is regarded as a man among his fellow-men. He is a Democrat, and although not an aspirant for political honors, has officiated in various positions of local honor and trust.
William Woods, a well-to-do druggist of Scotland, is a native of Richland County, Ohio, but when four years of age moved with his parents to Ashland County, where he was raised and educated. He is a son of John and Martha (Hughes) Woods, and with these parents removed to Carroll County, Ind., in 1864, and two years later to Greene County, where John Woods died March 23, 1883. Mrs. Woods is yet living, and resides on the old place near Scotland. William Woods was raised a farmer, secured a fair education, and has followed saw milling largely through life. At present he is engaged in merchandising, and by an up right system in doing business, has a well established trade. He was married, October 17, 1867, to Miss Mary Ingles, and they are the parents of four children, only three?Martha E., William A. and John G.?yet living. The mother is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
Owen T. Wright, whose birth occurred in Kentucky in 1842, is one of three surviving children in a family of four born to the marriage of Rev. Abraham and Ellen (Gardner) Wright, which was consummated in 1841. At eleven years of age, he was cast upon the world to battle for himself, and with but few exceptions has been engaged in farming. June '7, 1861, he became a private in Company D, Fourteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and at the Wilderness was captured, and for a time was incarcerated in Andersonville and Florence Prisons. While being transferred in box-cars from one prison to another, he and companions managed to secure a crowbar, tore up the flooring of the car, so that when the train stopped for water they made their escape into the swamp. For soar days they traveled through the swamps, and then Mr. Wright was stricken down with a malignant fever. When their pursuers were about to discover their hiding place, Mr, Wright was moved .in the night to a house, but here left, and was recaptured, taken to Lumberton, N. C. where he was left to die or recover as the case might be. Shortly after this, Sherman's advance cavalry discovered him, removed him to the federal lines, from here to Goldsboro, then to the coast, and from thence to Fortress Monroe. Mr. Wright was a fearless and valued soldier, and was twice promoted for bravery, once by his Captain. At the battle of Fredricksburg, after the color-bearer and guards had been shot down, Mr. Wright seized the emblem of liberty and bore it aloft through a leaden hailstorm. Since the war, he has resided in Greene County, where he is widely known and respected. He is a member of the F. & A. 314 a Republican, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1866, the marriage of Owen T. Wright and Miss Julia A. O'Donald was solemnized, and to them these children have been born: Florence J., Cora A., Nancy E., Bertha F. and one deceased.