Smith Township Biographies
P. A. Buskirk, son of Alfred and Letitia (Dayhoff ) Buskirk, is a native of Greene County, Ind., born March 12, 1824. His parents were natives of Spencer County, Ky., where they were raised, married and from whence they removed to Indiana in 1823, first settling in Highland Township, but afterward removing to Smith Township, Greene County, where Mr. Buskirk operated a pottery kiln for a number of years. He died in Highland Township in 1829, and in 1835 his widow married Joseph Myers, with whom she removed to Bullitt County, Ky., where she died in 1845. P. A. Buskirk went with his mother to Kentucky, but when eighteen years old returned to his native county, living with an uncle until 1848. He then began farming on Scaffold Prairie, Smith Township, where he now owns a good farm of 150 acres, well stocked and well improved. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company H, Seventy-first Indiana Volunteers, but shortly after entering the service he was transferred to the Sixth Cavalry. At the battle of Richmond, Ky., he was captured, paroled and some time later his parole expired while he was at Terre Haute, Ind., after which he again engaged in active service and was a second time captured in Kentucky. After being exchanged and his parole expiring, he was again sent into Kentucky and from thence to Tennessee, then again back to Kentucky. He next was engaged in the Georgia campaign and then on the 15th and 16th of December, 1864, was engaged in the battle at Nashville against Hood's forces. He also actively participated in the battle of Pulaski, Tenn., but June 21, 1865, ended his military career on that date receiving an honorable discharge. Since the war, he has been engaged in farming on his place in Greene County. His marriage with Nancy Elgan was consummated April 9, 1848, and Alfred D. was their only child. The mother was born June 22, 1824, in Indiana, and died December 22, 1850. For his second wife, Mr. Buskirk married Martha Godfrey, who was born May 14, 1825, a daughter of ,Elijah and Theodosia (Clark) Godfrey, To this union have been born six children?Lucy S., Joseph M., Frederick L., Raleigh M., Phebe K. and R. Belle. The two last named are dead. Mr. Buskirk is a stanch Republican in politic's, and is the oldest native of Greene County living in Smith Township.
Benjamin F. Conant, one of the principal farmers of Smith Township, is a native of the county and township where he lives, and where he was raised. He was born October 20, 1849, one of eight children born to Cyrus W. and Nancy (Dayhoff) Conant, who were among the very earliest settlers in Greene County, he being one of the most prominent citizens of Greene County, and for many years a minister in the Congregational Church. He commenced life a poor man, but when he died he was well blessed with earthly goods, although he had made it a rule to give one-tenth of his income to the church. Ire is a direct descendant of Roger Conant, one of the pilgrims who came over in the Mayflower. Our subject received a good common school education in the country schools of his time, and went to the Farmersburg Graded School. During most of his life he has been a farmer, although he has worked at the carpenter's trade considerably. He has been very successful as a farmer for the past thirteen years, shipping a large amount of grain and stock. He was married to Miss Josie Noble, daughter of Oliver and Mary (Dayhoff) Noble. He is a Republican, and takes an active interest in all public affairs.
George W. Dayhoff, farmer, P. 0. Worthington. Among the early pioneers of Greene County, Ind., was Elias Dayhoff, who was born December 1, 1799, in the State of Kentucky. In 1826, Mary Thomas became his wife, and in 1827 he and wife emigrated to this county, and settled in Smith Township, where Mr. Dayhoff entered 160 acres of Government land. He continued adding to this until at one time he owned about 1,000 acres. His first wife dying in 1832, he married Eleanor H. Goodale in 1834, and together they lived happily many years. Mr. Dayhoff took a very active part in all the public doings of the day, having served as Township Trustee and Justice of the Peace, besides being the candidate of his party?Republican--for the State 'Legislature in 1862. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and a man honored and esteemed for his private worth and purity of heart. He died April 13, 1883, having lived a life of over eighty-three years of usefulness. George W. Dayhoff, subject of this sketch, was born in the month of May, 1835, the eldest of his father's second marriage. He was raised and educated in Greene County, and August 8. 1862, enlisted in his country's cause in Company H, Seventy-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He served through the battles of Richmond and Nashville, besides several lesser engagements, and was a brave and efficient soldier. January 5; 1863, he married Mary A. Johnston, who died September 12, 1875, after bearing a family of six children, four of whom are yet living. For his second wife, Mr. Dayhoff married Mary E. Page, of Worthington. Mr. Dayhoff is one of the well-to-do farmers of Smith Township, owning eighty acres of good land. He cast his first vote for John C. Fremont in 1856, and since then has been a Republican in politics.
Rurus Dayhoff, farmer, P. 0. Worthington, was born March 26, 1838, the third son of Elias and Eleanor H. (Goodale) Dayhoff, appropriate mention of whom is made in the biography of George W. Dayhoff. Rufus was raised a farmer, secured a fair education from the public schools of that day, and May.26, 1873, he was united in marriage with Mary E. Anderson. After living some over three years in Smith Township, engaged in farming after his marriage, Mr. Dayhoff, in 1877, moved to Wilson County, Tex., subsequently removing to near San Antonio, in Barr County. After being a resident of the Lone Star State upward of five years, he returned to his former home in Indiana, where he now resides, the owner of forty acres near the old homestead. He is a Republican in politics, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he and family are well and favorably known throughout the township.
Rice Elgan, farmer, P. 0. Worthington, was born at Washington, Ind., January 16, 1820. His father, John Elgan, was a native of Kentucky, his birth occurring in about the year 1800, and when nineteen years old he was united in wedlock with Sally Pounds, who was the mother of the subject of this sketch. Mrs. Elgan dying in about 1826, Mr. Elgan married Abigail Archer about a year later, and in 1832 he and family removed to Greene County, Ind. where he continued to reside the remainder of his years, his death occurring in 1868. Rice Elgan is one of the foremost men of his township as well as one of its best farmers and citizens. He is the eldest of fourteen children, and such being the case received only limited schooling advantages as his aid was required at home in helping to care for younger members of the family. In May, 1839, Mary Ellsworth became his wife, and to their union nine children have been born, only four of whom are yet living. Is a Democrat in politics; Mr. Elgan has served his township with credit as Assessor. He owns a fine farm of 270 acres, and is an esteemed member of the Christian Church.
Adam Miller. Samuel Miller, the father or the subject of this sketch, was born in Somerset County, Penn., March 3, 1799, and was principally raised in Westmoreland County. He was a shoe-maker by trade, but the latter part of his life was passed in farming. In the year 1822, he married his first wife, Miss Easter, but this lady dying he was a second time married, in Coshocton County, Ohio, July 4, 1833, to Anna Richey, who was a native of Switzerland. born May 18, 1809, and came with her parents to America when seven years old Mr. Miller removed with his family to Owen County, Ind., in 1853, where he died an honored and esteemed citizen in 1874. Adam Miller is a son by his father's second marriage, his birth occurring in Coshocton County, Ohio, July 8, 1834, and is the eldest of ten children. At four years of age, he was taken by his parents to Holmes County, Ohio, and from there to Indiana in 1853, where he entered forty acres of canal land. In 1864, he disposed of his property and came to his present place in Greene County, where, by diligence and economy, he has secured a valuable farm of 400 acres which he has improved as well as any farm in Smith Township. Early in 1865, he enlisted as a private in Company F, One Hundred and Forty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, was detailed on garrison duty at Decatur, Ala., was mustered out of service at Nashville, Tenn., and finally discharged at Indianapolis. He was married in Owen County, February 14, 1856, to Sarah A., daughter of Oliver and Delilah (Middleton, Hubbell. who were natives respectively of Ohio and North Carolina. Mrs. Miller was born in Owen County Ind., September 14, 1834, and to her union with Mr. Miller, nine children have been born?Marion, Madison, zlarilda and Julia, living, and Manda, Marina, Anna A., Samuel O.. and Delilah, deceased. Mr. Miller is one of the practical and progressive men of his township, and for the past seventeen years has been a member of the Christian Church. For four years he has been an ordained elder in this religious denomination, and for over a year he has served as pastor at Winter's Chapel.
Oliver Noble, a native of Jefferson County, Ohio, and one of the substantial men of Greene County, was born August 11, 1837, and is a son of A. C. and Barbara (Joseph) Noble, who were born respectively September 11, 1812, and February 1, 1810, both in Jefferson County, Ohio. Oliver was raised and educated his native county, making his home with his parents until 1858, when he came to Greene County, Ind., and located on his present place in Smith Township, where he has since resided, engaged in farming and working at the carpenter's trade. July 28, 1863, he was mustered into the United States service as private in Company A, One Hundred and Fifteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry; served his country with fidelity through numerous engagements and important campaigns; was transferred to Company K, One Hundred and Forty-ninth Infantry, on the 14th of February, 1865, and was honorably discharged at Nashville, Tenn., September 27, 1865. February 15, 1859, he was married in Greene County to Miss Mary Dayhoff, who was born in Carroll County, Ohio, February 2, 1828, a daughter of Abram and Lydia (Joseph) Dayhoff, who were among the pioneers of this locality. To the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Noble, one daughter?Josephine?has been born. Mr. Noble is one of the enterprising men of his neighbor. hood; is a Republican and a member of the G. A. R. and the Presbyterian Church.
Col. Israel Stough, a native of York County, Penn., was born January 28, 1829, a son of Charles and Catharine (Lauck) Stough, both of whom were born in York County, Penn., the former January 4, 1800, and the latter November 15, 1815. Charles Stough followed the carpenter's trade for about fifty-four years; was married in his native county in August, 1828, and there his wife died May 1'7, 18'70 He is now living in Greene County, Ind., at the advanced age of eighty-four years. Israel Stough, at the age of fourteen years, began serving an apprenticeship at the tailor's trade in his native county, and when nineteen, he started out as a journeyman tailor. For two years he was engaged in business for himself it Brookville, Ind., but in 1852, went to Bucyrus, Ohio, where for a short time he worked at his trade, afterward disposing of his stock and operating a photograph gallery, both in Bucyrus and Gallion, Ohio. Having accumulated some means, he sold out at the end of a year, and feeling the need of a better education, entered Wittenburg College at Springfield, Ohio, where he remained two years. In 1856 and 1857, he was employed as traveling salesman for Hykes & Co., horticulturists, of Dayton, Ohio, his location being in Mississippi. He afterward traveled in a like business through Virginia, for a Rochester, N. Y., company, and through Kentucky for Hooker, Farley & Co. Succeeding this, he was engaged in farming near Springfield, Ohio, until he helped recruit Company F, of the Forty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, of which be was selected Captain. He served in this capacity until September 23, 1863, when he was discharged for disability arising from the effects of typhoid fever. May 11, 1861, he was commissioned Colonel of the One Hundred and Fifty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and for a time was stationed at Paw Paw,, W. Va. Col. Stough was a participant in the engagements at Laurel Point, on the South Branch of the Potomac, Hancock, Md., and Old Town. He was mustered out of the service at Camp Douglass, Ohio, September 9, 1864, and the Same year located in Gibson County, Ind., where he followed agricultural pursuits two years.. He then moved to Patoka, where he worked as a millwright and, at engineering until his removal to Owens- burg, Greene County, in 1870, where for three years he was engaged in milling. He then went to Bloomfield and erected the steam mills at that place, which he operated until 1879, when he sold out and leased the mills at Lyons. In 1881, b. purchased his present place, where he has since resided. Col. Stough is a Republican in politics, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and F. & A. M., and K. of P. fraternities. He was married at Brookville, Ind., June 3, 1851, to Mary C. Campbell, who was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, November 19, 1832. Mrs. Stough's parents were John and Mary (Kemble) Campbell, the former born June 17, 1790, died October 13, 1863; the latter born in 1805, and died May 27, 1854. Col. Stough and wife are parents of this family: Charles P., Ida K., Allie M., Nettie L. and David L., living, and Anna E., Dora C., Cora F., John F. and Jennie B., deceased.