Jefferson Township Biographies
William C. Andrews is a native of Essex County, N. Y., his birth occurring April 4, 1812. His father, George H. Andrews, was also a native of the Empire State, was of English descent and was married to Nancy McKenzie. For many years Mr. Andrews commanded a vessel on Lake Champlain, and in this way obtained the title of " Capt. Andrews." In 1819, he and family removed to Franklin County, Ohio, where he engaged in farming, and where he passed the greater par:, of his divining years in peace and contentment. William C. Andrews, at the age of twelve years, entered a store at Worthington, Ohio, as clerk, remaining there until 1837; and for the two succeeding years was employed in a like capacity at Gambier. In 1839, in company with Dayton Topping, he came to Greene County, Ind., and began merchandising at Point Commerce, but subsequently became associated with C. J. Barrackman in a like business. In 1849, he platted and laid out Worthington, and the spring of 1850. moved to this place and opened a general store—the f rat in Worthington. Until the close of the late war, Mr. Andrews was almost constantly engaged in mercantile pursuits, but since then has dealt in real estate and transacted a general law, collecting and insurance business. On the 19th. of August, 1840, he was married to Eunice G. Topping, who was born in Franklin County, Ohio, in 1812. To this union were born Newton, Katharine R. and Mary L. The mother died April 30, 1852, and May 4, 1858, Mr. Andrews married his second wife—Josephine Stalcup. This lady was born in Greene County, Ind., September 19, 1835, and by Mr. Andrews is the mother of three children—Grace, William C. and Maria L. For over twenty-five years,Mr. Andrews has served as Justice of the Peace, and although not a radical partisan, has always firmly believed in the principles of the Whig and Republican parties. Mr. Andrews is one of the oldest and best known men in northern Greene County, and all who know him unite in pronouncing him a man among men. He is a member of the Odd Fellows fraternity, and the Protestant Epigcopal Church.
Thomas Aydelotte, M. D., a son of James R. and Amelia A. (List) Aydelotte, who were natives respectively of Delaware and Ohio, was born August 18, 1838 in Montgomery County, Ind., whither his parents had removed from Ohio in 1837. His father became a resident of the Buckeye State when a small lad, and was there married. His mother dying in Montgomery County, Ind., in 1842, his father soon afterward moved to Clinton County, and at the time of the building of the Wabash & Erie Canal, took large contracts and continued aiding in the work until the canal's completion. He then moved to Gibson County where he continued to reside until his death in 1876.. He was twice married, by his first wife being the father of five children and by his second, who was formerly Cynthia A. Hollingsworth, eight children. Dr. Aydelotte was raised a farmer, wa4 but commonly educated and at twenty-four years of age, began the study of medicine at Princeton. He attended two courses of lectures at the Chicago Medical College, and in 1864 located at Carlisle, Ind., for the practice of his profession, where he remained nearly three years, then, after practicing at Princeton a short time, he came to Greene County. For about six years,he was located at Newberry, after which he came to Worthington, where he has since remained in active practice, a part of the time as partner with Dr. L. P. Mullinnix. He has here built up-a large and successful practice and has the entire confidence and respect of the community. In politics, he is Democratic and is a member of the Masonic and K. of H. orders. He was married in 1861, to Miss Ella Kennett, who died after bearing two children, both now deceased. Miss Donna Arnold became his second wife, on the 30th of November, 1870, and by her he is the father of three children—Joseph G., James W. and George.
Taylor Brothers. George R. Taylor, the father, was born in New Hampshire in 1796, and at manhood came to Orange County, Ind.,where, for a time, he taught school winters and boated summers, and where, in 1828, he married Miss Mary Clark, who was born in Vermont in 1808. The following year, he located in Scaffold Prairie, Greene Colin. ty, where he lived about twenty-two years, moving then to Worthington, where, except two years, he resided until his death. While on Scaffold Prairie, he farmed, dealt in stock, kept a country store, was the first Postmaster in Smith Township (his commission bearing President Jackson's name), was an Old-Line Whig and a popular man and politician; served as Justice of the Peace, owned a store in Fairplay while on the prairie, and one at Point Commerce after the canal was finished; was a Methodist, his house being.a resort for early circuit-riders and a place of worship; was a merchant at Worthington from 1856 to the close of the war, when he retired. He was an excellent mau,broad, liberal, genuine, noted for sobriety, honesty and industry, and died in 1876, full'of years and honors, followed by his wife in 1878. Eight of their six sons and six daughters are now living. Calvin S. Taylor was born in Smith Township in 1832, was reared on a farm, with limited education, and, in 1854, went overland to California, starting March 5 and reaching San Jose September 1. Here he remained until 1863, farming and dealing in stock; then returned to Greene Count3; attended school at Greencastle; then began merchandising in Worthington with his brother Merritt, and is yet thus engaged, besides conducting a farm and dealing in stock. He is a Republican, and a member of the Episcopal Church. He married Miss Annie E. Topping in 1865; they have two children—Mary L. and Frank D. The brothers' store building was built in 1876. They have a large stock and a profitable business. Merritt C. Taylor, born in Smith Township in 1836; was also reared on a farm, remaining at work there and in the store until 1862, when he enlisted in Company E, Fifty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, as Second Lieutenant. He was at the surrender of Island No. 10, at the siege and battle of Cori Nth, and in lesser engagements, and, in 1864, resigned his commission in the Fifty-ninth and with S. L. Bryan raised Company A, One Hundred and Fifteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was commissioned First Lieutenant, serving as such until March, 1865, and part of the time as Captain de facto. After his return, he entered in business with his brother, and is yet thus engaged. His marriage with Emily Topping occurred in 1865; they have two children— George D. and William T. Mr. Taylor is a Republican. Dayton Topping was a native of New England, born in 1802, and moved as a child to Ohio. In 1824, he married Miss Margaret Douglas, and in 1840 moved to Greene County, Ind., entering the mercantile business at Point Commerce. Two years later, he moved to Terre Haute, but, in 1850, returned and began keeping the famous old " Franklin House," at Worthington. He conducted the house ten years; was a prominent canal man and canal collector; was an Old-Line Whig, and an uncompromising Union man during the war; was a member of the Episcopal Church; was a Mason. He was a man of unusual capacity, and died in 1865, followed by his wife in 1881. They had eight children; four of the daughters are yet living. His son, Melville D., raised a company at Terre Haute, became its Captain, was promoted Lieutenant Colonel of the Seventy-first Regiment, and was killed near Richmond, Ky., in 1862, his death being widely lamented.
George G. Dyer was born in Putnam County, Ind., October 20, 1851, and is a son of John G. and Hannah E. (Croce) Dyer, who were natives respectively,of Ashe County, N. C., and Bourbon County,,Ky. John G. came to Owen County, Ind , when a lad, but in later years moved to Putnam County, where his parents died. He read medicine for a time, but afterward engaged in farming, wagon-making and carpentering, and at one time was Superintendent of the bridge department for a railroad company. He afterward engaged in the marble trade, and, in 1870, came to Worthington, where he died in 1874. His widow yet survives him, and by him has nine children. George G. passed his youthful days upon a farm, and secured a fair education. From early boyhood he manifested great liking and aptitude for mechanical pursuits, and when about fourteen years old began working at watch-repairing, marble cutting, and metal and wood engraving. He was in the marble business in Worthington from 1869 to 1880, and also worked at engraving and silver smithing. Since then he has been engaged in the jewelry business. and is doing well. He was married, in 1871, to Miss Emma Allison, and they have four children—Daisy, Elsie, John and Charles. Mrs. Dyer was born in Johnson County, Ind., in 1851 Mr. Dyer is a Republican, a member of the Christian Church, the Masonic and K. of P. fraternities. He is one of the best engravers on stone, wood or metals in Indiana.
Samuel Folsom, deceased, was born in the town of Groton, N. H., August 4, 1801. He remained upon a farm, assisting his parents, until February of 1819 when he went to Boston, Mass., and thence in a short time to Florida and Mississippi. He remained in the South until 1827, when he took boat at Natchez, Miss., for the upper country, not knowing where be would stop. On board the boat, he fell in company with Capt. John Johnson, Daniel Harris and Stephen L. Bigger, of, Owen County, Ind. They gave him such a favorable account of the country they lived in that he determined to accompany them home. This he did, and after a short time located on the farm now owned by John Ritter, in Owen County, purchasing the land of Capt. Johnson. Here he remained a number of years. In 1850, he came to Greene County, Ind., and located on the farm now owned by Mark Hayes, in Eel River Township, where he remained some seven years, and then moved to Fair.- play Township, where he lived several years, when he came to Worthington and located to avoid the cares and hardships incident to farm life. Here he passed the remainder of his days, dying October 22, 1877. When quite a young man, he connected himself with the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was a self-made man, inheriting only the priceless legacy of a good name and a robust constitution. His battle against poverty was successful, as he secured a handsome competency. Ho was industrious. honest, philanthropic, an upright Christian, true to all of life's obligations. He served as Justice of the Peace some ten years; also was Commissioner of Owen County a number of years He was one of the pioneer Whigs and Abolitionists, and in later life a Republican. , He was twice married, his first wife being Hannah Nelson, to whom he was married in 1828. She died in 1846. By this union there was one child, viz., Emily. There were five children his wife had when he married her, by a former marriage. These he reared as his own, and all in a manner reflecting great credit on himself and wife. He was united in marriage with Miss Sophia Davis September 25, 1848. She was born near London, England, September 5, 1814, and when a small child her parents emigrated to the United States, and after living in New York City some time, they moved to Cincinnati, Ohio, and lived there and in that vicinity the remainder of their days. By Mr. Folsom's marriage with Miss Davis, there were no children.
Rufus Gaskill was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, August 14, 1837, tone of five children born to Thomas and Lucinda (Duling) Gaskill, he a native of New York, who removed to the Buckeye State with his parents when three years old; she a native of Virginia. They were married June 28, 1836. In 1846, they settled in Owen County, and in 1861 came to Greene County. They were both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mrs. Gaskill died March 17, 1881. Our subject received but an ordinary education, being engaged from childhood at work upon the farm, and has followed farming all his life. He owns 235 acres of good land, all improved, and raises some stock. December 23, 1860, he married Mary E. Wood, who has borne him two children—Ludilla 0. born November 26, 1862, and John A., bore November 8, 1866. Mrs. Gaskill was born November 10, 1844, in Owen County, Ind.,• one of three children born to David A. and Elizabeth (Leach) Wood, pioneers of Indiana. Her parents died when she was quite young. Subject and family are all- members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a Republican in politics.
Israel Glover, a very progressive farmer of Jefferson Township, is a native of Jefferson County, Ohio. born December 24, 1827, one of fifteen children born to Joel and Elizabeth (Shannon) Glover, natives of Ohio, he being. born April 1, 1808, and she April 4, 1808, both still living. Subject received but a limited education, and was married, November 15, 1849, to Sarah Moore, of Jefferson County, Ohio, and six children have blessed the union, three of whom are now living—Mary E., born February 6, 1851; Sarah L., January 23, 1861: Ada G., September 2, 1868. Mrs. Glover died September 13, 1877. January 6, 1880, he was married to Mrs. Elizabeth (Inman) Crance. In 1854, Mr. Glover settled in Highland Township, Greene County, where he lived six years, and then moved to Jefferson Township, where he now lives, and where he owns 187 acres of good land, which is highly improved and under good cultivation. He was Justice of the Peace in Highland Township. Is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and a Republican. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Worthington.
Samuel Baldwin Harrah, merchant, Worthington, was born in Fleming County, Ky, January 14, 1816, a son of Robert and Elizabeth (Baldwin) Harrah, who were natives respectively of Virginia and Maryland, and of Irish descent. Originally, the name was O'Hara, but owing to the servitude of the Irish people as British subjects, and not wishing to have any connection whatever with Great Britain, the progenitor of the name in this country—his advent being just at the close of the Revolution--changed it to Harrah. The parents of S. B. Harrah were married in Virginia, and soon afterward removed to Kentucky, carrying their entire earthly effects to their new home on pack-horses. They resided in that State until 1825, when they came to Greene County, Ind., locating on "Nine Mile Prairie," where they ever afterward made their home. Being poor people, they were compelled to endure many of the hardships and privations of pioneer life. They were intelligent and highly respected people, and reared a family of children in a creditable manner for that early day. S. B. Harrah, subject of this biography, was reared upon a farm, deriving his education from the old-fashioned log schoolhouse. His first business venture was buying mules and driving them South for sale when he was twenty-three years old. This enterprise did not prove profitable, so Mr. Harrah, in 1844, found employment as a clerk at Point Commerce, at which he continued until 1850, wh4n be embarked in a general mercantile business on his own responsibility. In 1856, he came to Worthington, and became associated with M. H. Shryer in merchandising, with whom he continued a number of years. Since 1869, be has conducted the leading hardware and implement store of Worthington. Mr. Harrah is one of Worthington's oldest and best citizens. His influence and support have ever been ha in the advance. meat of all moral, educational and progressive matters, and while he was a firm advocate of Whig principles previous to 1856, and as equally an ardent Republican since that time, he has never aspired for any political honors. November 22, 1842, he was united in marriage with Mrs. A. M. S. Hempsted (whose maiden name was Scott), who was born in Union County, Ohio, August 3, 1817. Mr. and Mrs. Harrah are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and to their union have been born six children, named—Myra, Lessie, William, Anna, and two that died in infancy. Mrs. Harrah had a daughter by her first marriage, Alma, now Mrs. C. N. . Shaw, who is Mr. Harrah's partner in business. Mrs. H. is a teacher of fourteen years' experience in Indiana, and is a lady of education, refinement and great social and moral worth.
Hon. A. S. B. Elms, Worthington, was born in Wayne Township, Belmont Co., Ohio, August 13, 1846, and when eight years old moved with his father to Brown County, Ind., where his early years were passed, the summer months on a farm and during the winter months attending public school. On the 4th day of August, 1862, while yet a mere boy, his youthful blood was fired by the spirit of patriotism, and he enlisted in the United States service, and was mustered on the )th of the same month as a member of Company I, Sixty-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry. From this time until the close of the war, he was in active service, participating in all the battles of his regiment from and including Buzzard's Roost to the fall of Atlanta, also participating in the Hood campaign and siege of Nashville, and the campaign in the Carolinas from the gulf to the fall of Raleigh and close of the war. He returned home to Brown County, Ind , in the fall of 1865, and was elected Justice of the Peace for Jackson Township, serving from 1875 to 1879. He was Postmaster at Bean Blossom six years, and also served as Postmaster at Nashville one term. In January, 1880, he moved to Worthington, where he has since resided, identified with the best interests of Greene County. Until January 1, 1883, he was editor and proprietor of the Worthington Times, and for two years, ending January 1, 1883, was Worthington's Postmaster. He resigned this last position to take his seat in the Lower House of the State Legislature, having been duly elected to this responsibility by the majority of intelligent voters of Greene County.
Lafayette Jessup was born in this county December 13, 1836. His father, Caleb Jessup, was a native of Surry County, N. C., where he was reared to manhood and married a Miss Clark, also a native of North Carolina. This lady died after a few years, and was the mother of two children. His second wife was Miss Rachel Clark, a sister to the first. This lady bore him nine children, one of whom, Verlin Jessup, became well known to the people of Greene County. Caleb Jessup and family, with several of his brothers and John Sanders and family, came to In diana, and in,1818 located in Eel River Township. Here Caleb Jessup always remained engaged in farming and stock-raising. He was married three times, his last wife being Miss Margaret Huey, who bore him seven children., one of whom, Lafayette, is the subject of this sketch. He was the father of eighteen children by his three wives. He held to the religious tenets of the Friends or Quaker Church, and was noted for his strong anti-slavery views, kindness of heart and nobility of soul. Few if any of the early settlers' of Greene County were better known or more highly respected. Lafayette Jessup (subject) was reared upon a farm, receiving such education as the common schools of that day afforded. His father died when he .was but seven years of age, and when he was about twenty he began for himself as a farmer, a business he has been very successful at. He began with limited means, but by economy and hard work has accumulated considerable property, now owning 280 acres of land which is highly improved and well stocked. He also owns property in Worthington. He was married to Miss Lydia A. Heaton in 1857, She was born in 1838, and died in 1868. From that union four children were born—Isaac, Edward, Maria and James. Mr. Jessup again married, in 1874, Miss Harriet E. Miller, who was born in Wayne County, Ohio, in 1844. By this union there is a son, viz., William. Mr. Jessup is a Republican, but has never aspired to- any political prominence. He takes an interest in all moral, educational or other enterprises that go to build up the community in which he lives, or benefit the condition of his fellow-man. He is a practical farmer and one of the county's best citizens.
Messer Littlejohn was born in Miami Co., Ohio, July 23, 1815, son of Henry and Sarah A. (Dunkin) Littlejohn, both natives of. South Carolina, where they were partly reared. The Littlejohns moved from South Carolina to Pulaski Co., Ky., in about 1798, where they made their home until, the death of Charles Littlejohn, the grandfather of our subject, which occurred about 1819. The grandmother came to this, county in about 1820. and for most part lived in this county ever afterward, dying at the advanced age of ninety-six years. Henry Littlejohn lived upon his father's farm in Kentucky until he reached his majority, when he went to Miami Co., Ohio, and there was married to Miss Dunkin. They lived in Miami Co. until the fall of 1818, when they came with their family to what is now Eel River Township, Greene Co. They came in wagons, Mr. Littlejohn hiring men to bring his household goods to the head-waters of White River, where they left him and went back. He proceeded to dig out six canoes, and putting his goods' and family in these, floated down White River until he came to Eel River, when he unloaded his goods and proceeded to make a home for himself on the present site of Point Commerce. He made some improvement on a lease he had taken, and after living in Eel River Township seven' years he moved to Jefferson Township, Owen County, building a grist and saw mill on Lick Creek. Here he lived until his death, dying in 1859. His wife died in 1856. He was an Old-Line Whig, and a strong anti-slavery men. He assisted to build block-houses to protect the settlers in war of 1812. He held the office of Justice of the Peace some sixteen years, and was a man well known and highly respected. (See Baber's History.) Subject raised on farm; common education; helped on farm and in mill. He was married to Miss Sarah Dunkin in 1837, August 28. She born in Miami County, Ohio, August 24, 1815. She died September 25, 1845. From this marriage three children, viz.: Mary, Isaac M. and Amos W. These two sons ire in the late war, Isaac M. dying in his country's service. Mr. Littlejohn was married to Polly Fiscus February 15, 1846. She was born in Indiana April 16, 1824, and died February 5, 1883. From this union there were eleven children, viz.: Harriet, Nathan, Delona, Henry C., Jacob W., Sarah E., Ezra F., Lydia E., Cairy, Mahlon, Nancy E. Subject, after his first marriage, began milling and farming, which he followed until 1860, when he sold out mill and followed farming until the present. He has worked as a millwright a great deal during his lifetime. He has always worked hard and has made some property. He lived in Owen. County until 1867, when he purchased a farm near Jasonville, in Greene County, which he now owns-124 acres. Always a Whig and Republican; member of Christian Church; never held office; is in favor of all improvements and all laudable enterprises.
William McClaren, one of the principal farmers of Jefferson Township, is a native of Venango County, Penn., and was born August 29, 1833, one of nine children born to Rankin ana Margaret (Bunnell) McClaren, who were among the earliest settlers of Greene County. Rankin McClaren was a farmer,. and died bore about 1851. Our subject was reared to farming, and has followed it with success. April 19, 1857, he married Elizabeth Dyar, and to the union , were born nine children—Laura E., born. March Q, 1859; Huldah M., February 19, 1862; Nancy G., May 3, 1864; Samuel W., July 8, 1866; George 0., July 29, 1868; Llewella, August 24, 1870; Grace, September 17, 1872; Lessie, December 23, 1875; William R., July 3, 1881. Mr. McClaren and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Oak Grove. He owns 490 acres of excellent land well improved, and devotes most of his -attention to stock-raising. He is a Democrat and usually takes a lively interest in public affairs.
Robert McConnell, one of the farmers of Jefferson Township, Greene Co., Ind. is a native of Jefferson County, Ohio, and was born June 27, 18.26. He is one of nine children of Robert and Mary (Baker) McConnell, who settled with their families in Owen County, Ind., in the year 1842, where they lived the balance of their lives. Our subject received a common school education in the schools of his time. Throughout life, farming has been his chief occupation, although while a young man he worked for sole time at the cooper s trade. Margaret J. Johnson became his wife April 3, 1851. She is a native of Owen County, and one of the family of David and Frances (McDaniel) Johnson, and her birth occurred July 31, 1831. Mr. McConnell now owns 190 acres of good farming land, well improved and under good cultivation and he raises considerable stock. They are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Oak Grove, near where they live, and always do their share to support that and all other praiseworthy causes of their community. They have been members of that congregation for thirty-five years, about twenty of which Mr. McConnell has been a steward. As a Republican, he takes a lively interest in .the public affairs of the county in which he is an esteemed citizen.
Samuel Miller was born in Surry County, N. C., March 15, 1811. His father, Frederick Miller, was born in Pennsylvania February 26, 1783, of German parents. His ;mother was Welsh, but whether born in this country is not known. His father, while a young man, went to North Carolina, married, and settled in Surry County, where he engaged in farming until he moved with his family to Indiana in 1830, stopping first at Salem, Washington County. The subject of this sketch procured work in the cotton factory at that place, where he worked until the following spring, when he moved with his parents to this county, settling in Eel River Township on the farm known as the Alex Watson farm. For a few years he worked as a farm hand and day laborer, receiving wages $5 to $8 per month, until he had accumulated sufficient money to enter his first land, which he did by walking to Vincennes in 1837, and entering the northwest forty acres of Section 10. Received his patent under the seal and signature of President Van Buren. Soon after this, he built a log house on the same and moved his father's family to it. Some two years later, IA made a second trip to Vincennes, and entered the southwest forty acres of Section 3. In 1835, he built his first flatboat, and sold it to two brothers, Joe and Jerry Raridon, from whom it is said he never received a cent. For a number of years, flat-boating. was his principal business during the spring, oftentimes going as far as New Orleans. His last trip was made in 1847. In 1843, the Allisons having bought a set of wool carding machinery, he learned the business of carding wool, and ran the machinery for them two seasons. The next season he bought them out and continued the business himself. In 1845 or 1846, the grist and saw mill was built on Eel River by Daniel G. Ingersol and James Jessup, and in 1848 he procured water-power of them to run his carding machinery. In the early spring of that year, he put up a building adjoining the mill, and moved his machinery to it. This business he carried on until 1851. In 1855, be added to his business on the same premises the machinery necessary to manufacture wool into cloth, which was successfully carried on until the close of the late war in 1865. In 1858, he bought the school lands adjoining the mill seat—Lots 3 and 4, Section 16. Improved and farmed them until 1864, when he built a large, comfortable dwelling on the south line of said lands, near the mills, his home during life, and now the homestead of his widow and youngest son and family. In April, 1838, he married Sarah Newsom, daughter of James B. Newsom, a soldier of the war of 1812, who came to this settlement the same year he did. Of this union were born five children, three boys and two girls. Only two of the children are now living—James E., born May 3, 1841, and Frederick N., born October 20, 1850. He died June 19, 1873; sixty-two years of age. Politically, a Republican; previously Whig and strong Union. Religious faith, Methodist.
J. E. Miller, a native of the county in which he now resides, was born May 3 1841, and is one in a family of five children born to Samuel and Sarah (Newsom) Miller, appropriate mention of whom is made elsewhere in this work. His early years were passed in his father's grist and woolen mills and in going to school, and after attaining his majority he took charge of the woolen mill at Point Commerce. In 1865, he became a partner of W. C. Andrews in merchandising, continuing seven years; but in 1871 he had the woolen factory at Point Commerce removed to Worthington, where he now carries on an extensive business in manufacturing, carding, spinning, buying wool, grain, seeds, etc., and transacting by far the largest cash business of any man in Worthington. Mr.Miller is one of the stanch business men of the place, and to his energy and forethought the town is largely indebted for its prosperity and just reputation as a live business point. In politics, he is a "Republican" following in the footsteps of his father, who was first a Whig and afterward -- a Republican. He is a member of the Episcopal Church and the Masonic brotherhood;7is a genial and intelligent gentleman, and an esteemed citizen. On the 10th of May, 1866, he was united in marriage to Miss Katharine R. Andrews, who was born in Franklin County, Ohio, July 15, 1842, a daughter of W. C. Andrews, whose biography precedes this.
L. P. Mullinnix, M. D., Worthington. The parents of the subject of this sketch, David and Eleanor (Hurst) Mullinnix, were natives respectively of North Carolina and Tennessee, and his grandfather, Greenbury Mullinnix,was a pioneer of Indiana, locating in Washington County in 1816, and after living there two years moving to Putnam County, where he passed ,the greater part of his remaining years. David Mullinnix and wife were married in Putnam County, this State, where they made their home until 1856, when they moved to Effingham County, Ill. In 1865, Mr. Mullinnix returned to Indiana, his wife having died. the year before, and he has since made it his home. Dr. L. P. Mullinnix is one in a family of nine children, and his birth occurred in Putnam County, Ind., June 5, 1839.When he was 20 years old he began the study of medicine. On the breaking-out of the war, he enlisted in Company G, Eleventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and, after serving out his term of enlistment, he again volunteered his services, and was made a member of Company G, Sixty-second Illinois Volunteers, serving as such until the close of the war. He was in a number of hard-fought battles, among them being Belmont, Fort Donelson and Pittsburg Landing. After his return home, he completed his medical studies, graduating from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Indianapolis. He began the practice of his profession in Greene County, and being a close student of pathology and a successful practitioner he has not only gained a lucrative practice, but is recognized as one of the ablest physicians the county affords. He has been a life long Democrat in politics. and is a recognized leader of his party in northern Greene County. He is a Mason, a member of the Knights of Pythias and Knights of Honor, and he and wife belong to the Protestant Episcopal Church. October 15 1870, he married Miss Jennie Inman, who was born June 15, 1850. One son—Maston Parke—is the result of their union.
George Raeth was born in Bedford, Lawrence Co., Ind., April 17, 1845, son of Joseph and Margaret (Paoth) Raeth, both natives of Germany. They both came to the United States when young and were married in Lawrence County. Father was a baker and followed that and mercantile pursuits in Bedford. Father is dead; mother lives in Bedford and is married to Joseph Hircher. Mr. Raeth was the only child born to his parents. His father and also his step-father were in wars in their native country. Subject received a common education. When twenty, began working at carpenter's trade. In 1865, subject enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Forty-fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war. Then he began working at his trade, which he followed three years; then went at blacksmithing and wagon-making, which he followed some time, and thereafter working at carpentering a short time. In 1873, he came to Worthington, Ind., and began in a bakery; began in a small way and has made what he now has. Has done it by hard work and economy and is a self-made man. He is now doing a general grocery business, in connection with which he runs a first-class bakery. He has built up a good trade, which is steadily increasing. Rd has always voted with the Republican party. Has been a member of the Town Council and held other offices. Belongs to A. 0. U. W., K. of H. and K6, of P. Married Miss Catharine Bowman, June 11, 1871. She was born in Morgan County, Ill., July 29, 1853. Frone this union, two children, viz., Leetus and Charles A. Subject and wife are members of the Christian Church. Has always favored good schools and all needed reforms and worthy public enterprises as far as his means would permit. Leetus was born in Martin County, Ind., near Harrison, March 11, 1872; Charles A. was born in Worthington, Ind., May 8, 1877. Pleas Bowman and wife, Clarissa Williams, the parents of Mrs. Raeth, were natives of Indiana, the Bowmans settling in Lawrence and the Williamses in Washington County, Incl., in a very early day, and were well knowh to the early settlers of those counties. To Pleas Bowman and wife were born a family of three children. They moved to Morgan County, Ill., soon after their marriage and remained there some years, when they returned to Indiana and there passed the remainder of their days. They were good and highly respected people.
Charles G. Sanders was born in Greene County, Ind. February 1, 1841, son of John and Mary A, (Jessup) Sanders. The father was a native of North Carolina, and the mother of the same State. John Sanders, father of John, subject's father, was a native of North Carolina, who came with his family to Greene County, Ind., in about 1819. The mother's father, Caleb Jessup, also came from North Caroline about the same year, both families settling in Eel River Township, where they reared large families, and where they ever afterward resided. They endured many hardships and privations, and were highly respected by all who knew them. Subject's parents married in Eel River Township, and they had eleven children, four of whom are now living. Both parents are dead. The father died in 1860, and the mother in 1880. Subject was reared upon a farm, and had a common school education. In 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Fifty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He served three years. He was at the siege of Corinth, the battles of Corinth, Jackson, Champion Hills, the charge on Vicksburg on May 22, 1863 and siege of Vicksburg, and in a number of lesser engagements. After his term of enlistment was out, he returned home, and for some six years was engaged in farming. He then began, in the livery business in Worthington, in which business he remained about eight years, and then engaged in mercantile pursuits, in which he has since remained. He keeps a general stock of groceries, and is doing a good and steadily increasing business. He married Miss Mary J. Dickey September 7, 1870. She was born in Webster County, Ky., in 1853. From this union, one daughter—Katie M.—was born. Subject is a Republican, and a member of the G. A. R. He favors good schools, and all enterprises that tend to build up the community in which he lives or benefits his fellow-man.
Godfrey Suryer was born March 25, 1827, in Hamburg on the Rhine, Prussia. He is the son of Jasper B. and Matilda (Koehnen) Schroer (the original name of Shryer was Schroer, but after the family came to this country the name was changed to Shryer), both native Prussians, where they resided, the father being a coal and lumber dealer, having a barge on the River Rhine. On the 16th of April, 1849, they embarked at Rotterdam, Holland, for the United States, arriving in B°9; ton June 1_7 following. There were in the family ten Children, eight of whom came with the parents to this country. In a few weeks after their arrival at Boston the family came to Indiana to visit friends and look for a home. Soon were ter they arrived in Indiana, at Columbus, several of the family were taken sick with the cholera, and the father and several members of the family died. The surviving members of the family, with the exception of one sister, who was married, settled in Greene County, where they have since resided. Our subject at the time of the family s coming to United States was in the Prussian Army, and the rebellion of 1849 having broken out and not liking to fight his friends and neighbors, and against his principles, he deserted and accompanied the family to this country. He bad received a good education, and was engaged in mercantile pursuits while in his native country. After coming to Greene County, he, in the year 1850, visited Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa, but not liking it in those States he returned to Indiana, and embarked in mercantile pursuits at Indianapolis, where he remained a short time, and then came to Worthington, which had just started, and embarked in mercantile pursuits. He was in this business continuously until 1869, when he sold out and has since been in the real estate, insurance and business of a legal character. He was united in marriage with Miss Hannah Sheepers March 28, 1851. She was born at Wesel on the Rhine April 24, 1825. From this union nine children, viz.:. George H. Emily, Otto, Tillie, Henry W., Emma, Mollie E., G. William and Louisa May. Five of these children are dead. Mr. Shryer is a thorough business man, and has by his energy and perseverance accumulated a goodly share of this world s goods. He has been Notary Public for a number of years, and has held positions of honor and trust. He is a Democrat in politics, but in local elections he is very conservative voting for whom he considers the best man. He has twice visited the Old World since living at Worthington, in 1861 and in 1873, the last time being appointed by Gov. Hendricks as Assistant Commissioner to the Vienna Exposition. He is not a member of any church organization, but is ever ready to contribute to all moral, educational and other enterprises that tend to build up the country in which he lives, or benefit his fellowman. He is one of the county's best and most prominent citizens. His object in leaving Indianapolis and coming to Worthington was that at the last-named place the hunting and fishing were good, and he was very fond and very successful at these sports. He is an Odd Fellow, and the oldest member of the order in Greene County, and has been a member of the Grand Lodge and Encampment since 1856.
M. V. B. Smith, Worthington, a native Hoosier, was born August 4. 1844 in Fountain County. Henry Smith, father of M. V. B., was a native of the Buckeye State, as was also his wife, whose maiden name was Smith. They V1ere married in Greene County, this State, having removed here with their respective parent§ when children. but shortly after their marriage they removed to Fountain County, 'here they made their residence sixteen years. They then returned to Greene County, where they passed the remainder of their days, Mr. Smith dying in 1859, and his wife some years previous. They were the parents of ten children, and were hard-working and industrious people, commanding the respect of all who knew them. M. V. B. Smith was raised upon a farm, secured a fair education, and in 1862 he became a volunteer for the preservation of the Union. He served his country faithfully and with credit to himself until the close of the war, and was honorably discharged as Orderly Sergeant, although he was a commissioned Second Lieutenant. His commission not having reached him, he was discharged as Orderly Sergeant as stated above. He was.= active participant in the battles of Richmond, Buzzard's Roost, Dalton, Resaca, Kenesaw Mountain, Big Shanty, the Atlanta campaign, Nashville and Franklin, and is spoken of in the highest praise by his comrades. Since the war, he has been engaged in farming, carpentering and merchandising. Mr. Smith is one of the enterprising men of Greene County; is a Democrat in politics, although not radically so as regards local politics; is a member of the G. A. R. and K. of P. fraternities. To his marriage with Miss Arabell Barker, which occurred in 1870, this family has been born: Eliza, Nellie, Frederick, David and Charles.
DR. W. B. Squire, Worthington, was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, January 17, 1830, a son of Samuel and Jane (Stilwell) Squire, who were natives respectively of Vermont and West Virginia. Both sides of the family are of English extraction, their advent in America dating previous to the Revolutionary war. The Stilwells first settled on, Staten Island and the Squires in Vermont. Members of each family served in the early Indian wars, and also in both wars with Great Britain. In 1813, Bradley Squire removed with his family from Vermont to Coshocton County, Ohio, where he embarked in agricultural pursuits and passed the remainder of his days. This man was the father of Samuel Squire, and grandfather of Dr. W. B. Squire, of Worthingtôn Samuel Squire was a farmer throughout life, and to him and wife were born four sons and four daughters.. Both he and wife are now dead. W. B. Squire was raised on a farm, his early years being passed in the common schools, and at the age of sixteen years he began his career as a public instructor. When eighteen years old, he began the study of medicine, and in February, 1856, graduated from the Cincinnati School of Medicine. In the meantime (1855), he had come to Greene County, Ind., located where Jasonville now is, and, laying out that village, named it in honor of Jason Rodgers, a merchant of the place. In July, 1861, he helped recruit what afterward became Company F, Thirty-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry, but after serving about seven months he was compelled to resign his commission on account of illness. In 1863, he re-enlisted, and was made Surgeon of the Fourteenth Regiment, which position he held until the close of the war. He had moved to Worthington in 1862, and on his return from the army began the practice of medicine, at which he has ever since continued to a greater or less extent. In 1871, he embarked in the drug trade, and in addition to this he opened a dry goods store in 187'7, and in both branches of trade is doing a first-class business. Dr. Squire and Miss Rebecca J. Thrasher were married in 1852, and four children blessed them--Azubia J., Samuel F., E. Byrd and Ida May The mother was a native of Clark County, Ohio, and her death occurred in Greene County, Ind., in 1871. Mrs. Hattie A. Walker became Mrs. Dr. Squire in 1872, and Ethel L. is the only child burn to this union. Mrs. Squire was born at New tonville, Mass., in 1841. Dr. Squire has always voted the Whig and Republican tickets, but has never aspired to any political prominence, preferring to confine his entire attention to private business matters. He is a Mason and a K. of P., and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
John H. Trent, one of the best farmers of Jefferson Township, is a native of what was formerly Eel River Township, Greene County, Ind., born February 2, 1833, one of six children born to Josiah and Margaret (Crabtree) Trent who were among the earliest settlers of Greene County, they coming from Virginia In early life, Mr. Trent, our subject, was put to hard work and kept at that most of his life . His advantages or an education were limited, but he is giving his children all the opportunities in that direction that lie in his power. He says the only trade be learned was to grub, maul rails and chop wood. January 28, 1859, be married Parmelia Galletly, and six children have blessed the union— James W., May 11, 1861; Alice, November 26, 1862; Calvin G., April 23, 1867; Minnie B., November 11, 1869; Eva D., November 20 1874; Billy P., March 6, 1877. Mr. Trent owns 240 acres of land under a high state of cultivation, and raises considerable stock. He is a Democrat, and his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Oak Grove.
William Wilkins, banker, Worthington, the only survivor and on in a family of two children, is a native of Rhenish Prussia, born ktober 30, 1830. His grandfather was a veterinary surgeon of note in the old country, and his parents, William and Mary (Wusthoff) Wilkins, who were natives respectively of Hanover and Rhenish Prussia, were descendants of an esteemed and honored family. His fattier served his' country with credit in the Prussian Army against Napoleon the First. Until twelve years of age, our subject attended the common schools of his native country, subsequently attending academy four years, and for about four years longer was employed as an instructor in a graded school. Succeeding this, he attended a teachers' training school at Moers two years, and in 1853 he bade farewell to his native land-and emigrated to the United States. He remained in the city of New York about a year. and six months in New Jersey when he came to Indianapolis, Ind., and year; there to Worthington the fall of 1854, which has since been his home. For two years he was employed by Godfrey Shryer as a clerk, after which he began merchandising on his own responsibility, and continued with success until 1875. In that year he became a stockholder in the Worthington Bank, and three years later was elected President, a position he now holds. Mr. Wilkins is one of Worthington's self-made and influential citizens, is independent on all subjects,, preferring to rely on his own judgment of right and wrong to catering to the isms and dogmas ,of churches, political parties or corporations October 28, 1855, his marriage occurred with Miss Augusta Voigt, who was born in Saxony, Prussia, April 3. 1834. Their children are Emma L., Willie, Alma, Mamie, Lizzie and Dora.
George Wills was born in Abthorpe, Northamptonshire, England, April 14, 1843, and is a son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Watts) Wills, both natives of England. Thomas Wills was a brewer in his native country. He came with his family to America in 1848, and located near Akron, Ohio, where he followed gardening until 1860, when he moved to Hillsboro, Ohio, where he was engaged in a like business. The mother died in 1865, and the father in 1867. They were parents of two sons, George and William, the latter dying at Hillsboro, as did the parents. George learned the pottery business at Akron, and was working at this in Hillsboro when the war broke out. He enlisted in Company D, Third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, served three years, and was in the battles of Rich Mountain, Stone River, and numerous lesser engagements. After being honorably discharged, he worked at his trade for a time in Springfield, Ohio, Saline County, Mo., and Brazil, Ind. In 1870, he came to Worthington, and finding excellent material for his trade, erected a building and embarked in the pottery business, at which he has since continued with gratifying success. Mr. Wills, by his long experience in the btisiness, has perfected his trade to such an extent that he has all he can attend to. He was married, in 1868, to Miss Alice Baker, who was born in Parke County, Ind., in 1849. Two children have been born to them, Kate and Garfield. Mr. Wills is a Republican, a member of the I. 0. 0. F., and is one of the enterprising and go-ahead men of Greene County.