Jackson Township Biographies
John R. Allen, a descendant from one of the pioneer families of of Greene County, was born October 21, 1841, and is a son of Andrew and Polly Ann (Rumley) Allen, natives respectively of Tennessee and Indiana, who settled in Greene County in 1838. John R. assisted his father in a saw mill until 1860, and on the breaking-out of the rebellion enlisted in Company D, Fourteenth Indiana Volunteers, participating in the battles of Winchester, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and Antietam, being wounded at the last-named place. After being in Germantown hospital two months, he rejoined his old regiment, and was engaged in the battle of Cold Harbor, and on his term of service expiring, returned to Indianapolis, remaining there one year then came back to Greene County, where he has since resided. For two years he was engaged in farming and stock-raising, then embarked in the lumber and milling business. For five years, beginning in 1876, he kept hotel and livery stable in Bloomfield, since when he bas been engaged in saw-milling in Owensburg. This mill has a capacity of 8,000 feet per day, and the greatest portion of his lumber is shipped to Eastern markets. Mr. Allen possesses a farm of eighty acres in White River bottom near Bloomfield, besides other valuable real estate in the county. His marriage with Anna A. Cased was celebrated in 1865, and seven children have blessed this union?Leonidas, Eliza, Edward, Lola, Ida, Franklin and Ethel.
John Beaty, farmer and stock-dealer, was born in Greene County, Ind., January 18, 1830, and is the fourth child of James and Margarette (Hardin) Beaty, both natives of Kentucky, and among the first. settlers in Greene County. They moved here in 1821, where our subject lived on a farm with his father until he was twenty-one years old, when he married Louisa Morrow, who was born February 5, 1833. Their marriage occurred January 2, 1851, and was productive of six children?Marshall, Luther, Nettie (deceased), Ella, Noah and Edith. While on the farm, he engaged extensively in agricultural pursuits and stock-raising, and in this way made a comfortable start in life He remained on the farm until 1859, when he moved to Owensburg, and engaged in the dry goods business, in which he continued until 1861, when at the call for three years' troops to serve in the war; he raised a company (Company H, Thirty-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry), of which he was elected Captain, and proceeded to Terre Haute, where he went into camp for a short time. Then going to the front, our subject was engaged in the first fight at Fort Donolson, succeeded by the battles of Pittsburg Landing and Corinth. At the last place he was wounded, after which he resigned his position, resignation taking place in November, 1862, first enduring the hardships of a march across Tennessee. and Kentucky. After returning from the war, he again engaged in farming, and also in the dry goods business in Owensburg. In this he continued about three years; then moved to his farm, where he remained seven years; then again came to town and engaged in the hardware business. Mr. Beaty is well surrounded with the comforts of life, and besides a neat residence on the main street of the town, he owns other valuable property. He owns 1,000 acres of good land, and has been identified with the growth of the town since reaching manhood. He is a member of the Republican party, has served his township as Trustee, and he and wife are connected with the Christian Church.
Noah Brown, merchant, was born July 28, 1834, and is a son of John and Rachel (Hatfield) Brown, both natives of Virginia, born respectively, in 1811 and 1810. They settled in Greene County in 1831. Noah Brown remained at home until his mother's death in 1853, when he went to live with his grandparents. He received the educational advantages of the common schools of that day, and at the age of sixteeh began clerking, at which he was engaged until the breaking-out of the war. Enlisted in the service when twenty-seven years old, joining Company H, Thirty-first Indiana Volunteers, of which he was elected Second Lieutenant, afterward Captain. He was in the engagements of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Murfreesboro, Mission Ridge. Stone River and Chickamauga. Capt. Brown was wounded in the arm at Kenesaw Mountain, and was sent to the hospital at Lookout Mountain. December 12, 1864, be received a furlough for twenty days, returning at the expiration of that time and serving with his company until the fall of Atlanta. He then returned home and engaged in the dry goods and grocery business, in which he is yet employed. Mr. Brown owns 263 acres of well-improved land, the greater part of which is in pasture, and devoted to stock-raising. He has officiated as Justice of the Peace and Trustee of hie township several years, having held the latter position seven. years. In politics, Mr. Brown is a Republican, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church. He has been twice married, first to Sarah Brannon, May 8, 1856, by whom he is the father of seven children?John W. , Charlotte M., Nora, Rachel (deceased), Mary C., Schuyler and one unnamed. March 29, 1877, he married Charlotte Shanklin, and to this union four children have been born?Taunt, Abe, Charles A. (deceased) and an infant (deceased).
Charles Graham, insurance agent and farmer, was born April 13, 1839, and is the sixth child born to Samuel and Polly (Killgore) Graham, natives of Ohio and Tennessee respectively. Samuel Graham came from Daviess County, Ind., to Greene County in 1838, where be held the office of the Justice of the Peace for twenty-four years in Jackson Township. Charles came with his father from Daviess County, and remained at home until the begining of the war, when, at the first call for troops to put down the rebellion, he was one of seven who were the first in the town of Owensburg to enlist. He held the office of Sergeant, in Thirty-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Company H; was in the first attack on Fort Donelson; was at the siege of Atlanta, and served as Private Orderly under Maj. Gen. Stanley at the fall of Atlanta. In April, 1864, he returned home from the war, where he had performed many gallant services for his country. One remarkable incident was the meeting of three brothers with whom he dined on the Resaca battle-field. After the war, Mr. Graham engaged in farming, and for a number of years, in connection with this, has acted as agent for the American Insurance Company of Chicago, and the Continental of New York, in which capacity he has been very successful. He owns 120 acres of land .near Owensburg, mostly in blue grass pasture, and on this he raises considerable fine stock. His advantages for an early education were limited to only such as were afforded by the primitive schools. He is a self-made man of the day, all he is worth has been gained by his own energy and industry. Mr. Graham was married to Catharine E. Wharton, of Owensburg, in 1866, and to them have been born three children?Lettie, Ella and Willie. He is a Republican, belongs to the I. 0. 0 F., and he and wife are members of the Christian Church.
Samuel Haywood, physician and druggist, was born August 4, 1857, and is the youngest son of Charles and Jane (Shelton) Haywood, who were natives respectively of Tennessee and Ohio. They came to Greene County, Ind., in 1843, and entered land here when the country was wild and sparsely settled. Samuel lived with his parents on the farm, assisting his father, at the same time attending the common schools during the winter months, until he was sixteen years old, when be began teaching, and attending the graded schools at Bloomfield. The school term of 1875-76, he attended Hanover College and taught. the following winter, but the spring of 1877 began the study of medicine. He attended the Medical College of Indiana at Indianapolis, and received his diploma from that institution in 1882, but began the practice of his profession at KoJeen the year before. He now has a well-established practice, besides a fine stock of drugs, and in both branches is doing a creditable annual business. Dr. Haywood belongs to the Masonic fraternity, and in politics is a Republican.
James G. Hert, merchant, is a native of Owensburg, his birth occurring October 27, 1849. His father, William Hert, was born in Barren County, Ky., September 24, 1825; came to Indiana at four years of age, and was apprenticed to the blacksmith's trade the day he was seventeen years of age, which occupation he followed until 1856; then engaged in mercantile pursuits which he followed until his death, which occurred September 26, 1875. The subject of this sketch attended the common schools until sixteen years of age; then began teaching, which he continued until he reached the age of twenty years; then embarked in the dry goods business with his father, under the firm nacre of Hert & Son, which was continued until the death of his father. He then assumed and conducted the business under the firm name of James G. Hert & Co., which is one of Owensburg's most successful business houses. They carry a stock of about $4,000 and have an annual sale of from $15,000 to $20,000. Besides town property, James G. owns 160 acres of land adjoining Owensburg, well watered and timbered and in high state of cultivation. The farm is the first one ever entered in the vicinity, and the patent, now in owner's possession, is signed by Andrew Jackson. He also owns other lands, and in addition to his mercantile business takes considerable interest in live stock, being the pioneer in introducing the famous breed of " Holstein " cattle in Indiana. Mr. Hert was married in January, 1881, to Margaret Short, who owns by inheritance a fine farm of 160 acres on Indian Creek, being the first tract of land ever entered in the township. is both an Odd Fellow and Mason, and was commissioned Postmaster, cadet President Hayes' administration, in which official position he is serving. Both he and wife are members of the Christian Church. Hert may properly be called one of Greene County's most enterprising and esteemed citizens, and is a radical " Hoosier," believing Indiana to be the best State in the Union. In politics, he is a Republican.
James M. Records, eldest son of James and Sarah (Wilson) Records, was born February 10, 1827, in Boone County, Ky., and removed with his parents to Greene County, Ind., the spring of 1840, which has since been his home. James Records, Sr., was a prominent man in Kentucky during his time, having served as Colonel of State militia and Justice of the Peace, also serving in the latter capacity in Greene County. He also operated the first tobacco shop ever in this county. James M. lived with his parents on the farm until twenty-two years old, and June 28, 1849, married Alvira C. Dobbins, to their union being born nine children?Sarah F. (deceased), James Byron, William M., Walter S. (deceased), Almeda J., Anna B., Benjamin Butler, and two that died unnamed. Mr. Records is one of Greene County's best citizens and farmers. He has 260 acres of good land, upon which he has the largest orchard in the county, consisting of 1,000 apple and 2,000 peach trees, all of which were set out and cared for by his own labors. The farm is beautified by substantial buildings, and serves to produce large quantities of tobacco, which is marketed principally at Terre Haute, La Fayette and Louisville. Mr. Records is a Republican, has served as Treasurer of the Board of Township Trustees, and he and wife are members of the Baptist Church.
Lemuel B. Sexson was born in Kentucky in the year 1824, and is a son of Joel and Abigail (Davis) Season, who removed to Monroe County, Ind., in 1828, and located near the Greene County line. In 1830, the family settled in Center Township, of the last-named county, where they continued to reside many years. Joel Season took a very active part in the progress and development of Greene County, and his name and familiar chirography are found on various valuable public documents at the court house in Bloomfield. Lemuel B. Season is one of the county's best farmers. His early manhood was passed on the farm of his parents and teaming to Louisville, but since attaining his majority he has been engaged in farming, dealing in stock, and operating what is known as the Season Flouring Mills on Indian Creek. He has been three times married, and is the father of eleven children, seven of whom are yet living. In 1849, he was married to his first wife, Miss Mary M. Alexander, who died in 1866. In 1867, his marriage with Miss Nan. Leonard was solemnized, but this lady died in 1868, bearing one son, who died shortly after his mother's death. His marriage in 1869 with Miss Kate Leonard has been fruitful in the birth of three children, one being dead. In politics, Mr. Sexson is independent, voting for the best man, and not the party. For a number of years, he served as Trustee of Jackson Township. At present, he owns 740 acres of good land in the county? besides having given 120 acres to those of his children who are doing for themselves.
Joseph E. Walton, of Koleen, was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, February 5 1844, and is the son of Hiram and Elizabeth (Eakin) Walton, who were born in the same county September 20, 1807, and January 17, 1810, respectively. Joseph remained with his father and followed the cooper's trade until he was in his eighteenth year. August 22, 1861, he enlisted in Company I, Thirtieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was in the batt1,4of South Mountain, Antietam, Jackson and Mission Ridge. Was in the Atlanta campaign till he was wounded at Kenesaw Mountain, and then taken to the hospital at Marietta, Ga., where he remained six months. After his recovery, he rejoined his regiment, participating in the march to the sea, and remained with it until the close of the war, being at the surrender of G6n. J. 'E. Johnston, and afterward participating in the grand review at Washington. At the close of the war, he returned to Ohio, and remained one year, but in 1866 went, to Allen County, Ind., where he was engaged in teaching during the winter and working in timber during the summer. This he followed until 1870, when he was married to Martha A. Nesbitt, of Allen County, who was born in Stark County, Ohio, October 10, 1850, and by whom he is the father of three children?George (deceased), Mary E. and Laura J. Mrs. Walton died March 22, 1878, and in January, 1879, Mr. Walton married Mary J. Parsons, of Du Bois County, Ind., and to their union one child has been born, Emerson. Mr. Walton left Allen County in 1876, and went to Van Wert County, Ohio, and for a short time edited the Convoy Mirror, after which he taught school in Convoy. He moved to Du Bois County, Ind., and remained there until the spring of 1880, when he moved to Koleen, Greene County, and here has charge of the Reformed Methodist Church. Hai been Postmaster, Notary Public, Justice of the Peace (which office he now holds), freight and express agent, telephone operator; was admitted to the bar in 1883; is pension agent, and is Deputy Prosecutor. Mr. Walton is a Republican in politics, and he and wife are connected with the Reformed Methodist Church.
DR. Noah, W. Williams was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, August 1, 1826; is one of seven children born to Noah and Achsah (Renolds) Williams, and is of Welsh descent. When thirteen years old, he began learning the tailor's trade, which he followed until he became of age. In 1847, be came to Scotland, Greene County, Ind., and there followed' tailoring two years, then began the study of medicine with Dr. Dagly, after which he practiced his profession with Dr. Dozier in Bloomfield. Dr. Williams was married July 20, 1853, to Mary Jane Barker, who was born in Greene County, February 5, 1832, the daughter of Obed T. Barker, who was an early and prominent citizen of the county. They Pre the parents of eight children?Sarah, Joanna, Mary A., Martha R., William M., Harry E., James M. and Frank H. Dr. Williams moved to Owensburg in 1853, where be has since remained in the practice of his profession. In 1854-55, he attended lectures at Miami Medical College, after which he returned to Owensburg and resumed his practice. Dr. Williams has been identified with the best interests of the county since his residence here. During President Grant's administration he was appointed United States Gauger for the Seventh Congressional District, and in 1882 was appointed United States Examining Surgeon for pensions, which office he still holds. He was one of the Directors of the company which constructed the Bedford & Bloomfield Railroad. In 1873, be became engaged in the milling business, and at present owns an interest in the flouring mill at Owensburg. In politics, Dr. Williams is a Republican, a member of the Masonic fraternity, and he and wife are mew' bers of the Christian Church.