Highland Township Biographies
Simon Bland, Township Trustee, was born on the fartu he now owns, December 27, 1823, a son of Francis and Elizabeth (L angley) Bland, who were natives respectively of North and South Carolina. These parents were married in Kentucky, from there moving to Orange County, Ind., shortly after it was admitted into the sisterhood of States, and from thence removing to Greene County, Ind., in November, 1821, locating on Section 28 in Highland Township They raised five daughters and one son, and were the parents of another son that died in infancy. The father died in December, 1833, and the mother in August, 1861. Simon Bland has always made his home on the same farm where lie was born, receiving his early education from the primitive log schoolhouse of that day. May 18, 1851, he was united in marriage with Rachel Mock, who died June 29, 1871, after bearing a family of eight children, whose names are Mourning E., Margaret, William H., Ferdinand (deceased), Nancy A. (deceased), Granville H. (deceased), Mary S. (deceased) and David F On the 3d of August, 1873, Mr. Bland was married to his present wife, who was Mrs. Lucinda (Danely) Owen, daughter of Ira and Olive (Jessup) Danely, and widow of Armstead Owen, both father and husband being pioneers of Greene County. Mrs. Bland owns 102 acres of river bottom land in Highland Township, is a member of the Baptist Church, and by her first husband is the mother of three children: Sarah J., Mary E. and Hugh A. Mr. Bland is one of the substantial and prominent men of northern Greene County. In politics, he is a time-honored Democrat, and for sixteen years has served as Trustee of his township, being first elected in 1852. He is the owner of 574 acres of good land, 140 acres being in Owen County.
Henry Booze, a native of Knox County, Ohio, and one of the leading stock-raisers of Highland Township, was born at Mount Vernon in 1832, and is one of ten living children in a family of twelve born to Jacob and Anna (Slusser) Booze, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania, and of German descent. During the Revolutionary war, our subject's grandfather was pressed into the service with a six-horse team, but for the loss of his horses he never received any recompense. After the war, he sold what property he had, and started West to find a home, but when ready to purchase he found his continental money had so depreciated in value as to be comparatively worthless. Jacob Booze was a house joiner by trade, but in later years followed farming. He is yet living, and resides in Allen. County, Ohio, at the advanced age of eighty-eight years. He was three times married, by his first wife being the father of three children, and by his second?the mother of Henry--nine children, all living but two. Henry Booze was raised a farmer secured a fair education in youth, and when twenty-six years old left home, and a year later came to Greene County, Ind., and established a saw mill near Soisberry, in Center Township. At the end of six years, he sold out and started West with the purpose of seeing something of the country. He secured a position as telegraph line repairer over the Union Pacific road between Omaha and the mountains, and, in connection with a brother, worked at this for seven months, during which time he crossed the plains six times. He then returned to Greene County, Ind., and for seven years was a partrrer of F. H. Bryan, at Solsberry, in merchandising. In 1871, he wedded Mrs. Lizzie (Isenhower) Axtell, and in 1873 moved to his present place in Highland Township, where he owns a well-stocked farm of 200 acres, upon which he has erected a comfortable brick dwelling?the best in the township. Mr. Booze confines his attention largely to sheep-raising, which he has demonstrated to be one of the leading sue cessful industries for those not owning farths on the bottom of White River. He takes an active interest in the advancement of all laudable public enterprises; is a Democrat in politics; and he and wife are parents of two sons?Leonard and Walter. Mrs. Booze was born in Monroe County, Ind., in 1836, a daughter of George and Sarah (Caffee) Isenhower. She was married in December, 1865, to Joseph Axtell, who died in January, 1870.
Jacob Bucher, a resident of Highland Township, was born January 30, 1840, in Ashland County, Ohio. With his parents, John and Eda A. (Winkler) Bucher, who bore a family of ten children, he came to Greene County in 1857, and located in Highland Township, where he has ever since made his home. His schooling was somewhat limited, and alternated with months of hard labor upon a farm. On November 15, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, Fifty-ninth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served in the late war until its close, when he received an honorable discharge March 22, 1865. Mr. Bucher was actively engaged in the following battles: New Madrid, Corinth, Vicksburg, Chattanooga, Atlanta, and was on the march from there to Savannah thence to the battles of Beaufort and Wilmington. On December 24, 1865, he was united in wedlock to Mary C. Stalcup, and together they are the parents of eight children?George B., Arabella, John, Walter A. and Willard G. (deceased twins), Edward P., Jacob G. and Blanche. During most of his life, Mr. Bucher has followed farming, and with good success, as his large farm of 200 acres, well improved and cultivated, amply testifies. He is a Democrat in politics, and an upright, industrious citizen, whom to know is to respect and esteem.
John H. Dixson was born in Preble County, Ohio, March 10, 1820, and is the only survivor of eleven children, born to Eli and Rebecca (Hart) Dixson. When but six months old, his parents removed with him to what is now Greene County, Ind., where they encountered all the hardships and privations incident to pioneer life, and where John H. was reared, educated and has always resided. Eli Dixson became widely known as the owner of some of the best horses in the State, and he was never more at home than on the back of one of his racers with a pack of hounds following up the trail of some bear or fox. He and wife made many friends, and after living as honored and respective people to old ages, they died in the religious belief of the Quakers. John H. Dixson received his early schooling from the old fashioned log schoolhouse where "lickin' and larnin' " were deemed as essential for the advancement of the pupil as " larnin' " without the " lickin' ." To start on, his father gave him eighty acres of unimproved land, and this he has since increased to over 800 acres by hard work and good management. This is situated in White River bottom, and consists of the best soil of Greene County. In December, 1840, John H. Dixson and Elizabeth Stalcup were united in marriage, and to this union the following named were born: Rebecca, Margaret, Solomon, James (deceased), William; Stephen and Polly (deceased). The mother died in August, 1860, and in April, 1877, Mr. Dixson married Mrs. Electa (Beach) Hoagland, his present wife. Mr. Dixson is one of the whole-souled, genial and hospitable men of his township. Like his father before him, he is a great admirer of horse flesh, and be it also said that he also keeps the best horses in his locality. He is now on the shady side of life, and is nearing the alloted period of man's existence, which is hoped by his numerous friends, that he will greatly outlive. In politics, he was first a Whig, but since 1856 has cast his influence and support with the Republican party. Although a member of no religions organization, he is inclined to the faith of his parents?Friends--in which sobriety, peace and industry are the chief factors.
Rev. Samuel N. Miller, deceased, was born in Cumberland County, Penn., in February, 1810, a son of John and Anna (Neidigh) Miller, who were also natives of the Keystone State, and directly descended from German ancestors. The family removed to Wayne County, Ohio, at an early day, where John Miller died. His widow afterward came to Indiana where she died. Samuel N. was married in about 183S, to Hannah Phillips and in about 1850, came to Greene County, Ind., locating on Section 26, in Highland Township, where their son, William H., now resides. Mr. Miller was an ordained minister of the Church of God, and ho confined his attention almost exclusively to ministerial labors in Greene and neighboring counties, until his death in May, 1872. Mrs Miller died in March, 1877. They were the parents of eight children, all of whom lived to be married and the parents of a family, and only one is now dead. With the exception of two that live in Wayne County, Iowa, all live in Greene County, Ind. William H. Miller, one of the above children, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, January 31, 1848; came with his parents to where he at present resides, and here he was raised and educated. At nineteen years of age, he began working at the carpenter's trade, but two years later embarked in farming, which has since been his occupation. November 15, 1874, Miss Ella, Knox became his wife, and by her he is the father of four children?Thaddeus, Claude, Burton and Bernice. Mrs. Miller was born at Quincy, Owen County, Ind., in July, 1857, and is a daughter of Isaac and Nancy (Sanders) Knox. Mr. Miller is a Republican in politics, an intelligent and enterprising citizen, and is the owner of the old Miller homestead, which consists of 120 acres of good land.
Wilson M. Owen, who was born in Greene County, Ind., March 22, 1825, is one of five children of Josiah and Polly (Phillips) Owen, who were among the earliest pioneers to Greene County. His education is meager, and was gained amid the disadvantages of frontier life in log schoolhouses. Lucinda Miller, a native of Shelby County, Ky., whence she came to Greene County in 1842, became his wife February 22, 1847, and to their union five children have been born?Thomas J., Nancy E., David A., Benjamin T. and Joseph A., all living. Mr. Owen began life a poor boy, and by hard work and honest dealing has acquired a farm of 129 acres, of which ninety acres are under a good state of cultivation. In politics, he says he was born and raised a Democrat and expects to die as one. As a hard worker and honest dealer, he maintains a high reputation among his neighbors. Mrs. Owen is one of a family of fifteen children, of whom Thompson and Mary (Ubank) Miller were the parents. She is a member of the Baptist Church at Concord. Together, they are enjoying the evening of life surrounded by its comforts, and sharing the good will and opinion of all around them.
Thomas C. Owen, farmer and stock-raiser., was born in Highland Township, this county, January 25, 1852, and is the oldest son in a family of seven children, five of whom are yet living, born to John G. and Margaret (Mock) Owen. John G. Owen was the first white child born in Greene County, his birth occurring in Highland Township August 8, 1818. His parents, John H. and Susanna (Elrod) Owen, came from North Carolina to near Paoli, Ind., in 1S17, and from there to the birthplace of John G. shortly before he was born He selected farming for his occupation, as did his father before him, and although a man of but limited education, he became sufficiently versed in public affairs to fill the office of County Commissioner to the entire satisfaction of all concerned. He married Margaret Mock October 9, 1845, and they lived happily together until his death April 19, 1876. Mr. Owen was a man universally respected and beloved by all who knew him, and whose purity of character and benevolence was the pride of his family and neighbors. Thomas C. Owen is one of the progressive men of his township. He was married November 10, 1875, to Miss Josephine Stalcup, who was born near where she now resides, September 22, 1855, a daughter of George B. Stalcup, appropriate mention of whom is made in the sketch devoted to the Stalcup family. To Thomas C. Owen and wife two daughters--Maud and Mary?have been born. Mr. Owen is a Republican in politics, a member of the K. of P. fraternity, and is the owner of a good farm of 250 acres.
Thomas Pickard was born in Chatham County, N. C., March 1, 1812, but when sixteen years old removed with his parents, Henry and Nancy (Petty) Pickard, to Smith County, Tenn. In 1831, he came to Greene County, Ind., and settled in Highland Township, which at that time was a wild and unsettled country. Until his marriage with Lucretia Johnson in 1834, he made his home with his parents, but since then has been doing for himself. Although he began life a poor boy, by industry and economy, and with the aid of a loyal and loving wife, he struggled along with the adversities of life until be accumulated a competency. The 300 acres he secured, he has deeded to his children, although it is under his control until his death. His wife, who was in every sense of the word a helpmeet, was motherly in her regard for the friendless, and possessed of many of the virtues that were characteristic to our pioneer women. She died September 25, 1873, and lies sleeping in the family burying ground. By Mr. Pickard the was the mother of five sons and five daughters, all of whom were raised to years of maturity, and seven of whom are yet living. These children were: Josephus, Emily J., James, Isaac, Thomas 3., Bluford, Mary, Lucretia, Ellen and Hester Ann. Mr. Pickard is one of the few remaining of our old pioneers; has been a lifelong Democrat is a member of the Christian Church, and has liberally contributed from his means in the support of all laudable public enterprises. Now, as the evening, of his life is drawing toward its close, he can cast a retrospective look backward over his past life?a life fruitful of years of sowing and reaping, of want and plenty, and toil and privations?and with his more than threescore and ten years has no regrets for the past, but plenty of hopes for the future. He has gained many friends and few enemies, and it is earnestly hoped that he will continue to live many years in the full enjoyment of a well-spent life.
Stalcup Family. Among the early pioneers of northern Greene County, none became more widely known than the Stalcups. Isaac Stalcup was the progenitor of that name and his advent within the county's present boundaries, was some time during the year 1817, his location being on Section 26, Township 8, Range 4 west. He was a native of North Carolina, and he and wife are said to have been the parents of twenty-one children. James Stalcup, deceased, who became widely known in the early history of the township, was a son of Isaac and was born August 22, 1786, in the same county as his father. While in Tennessee in 1812, he married Margaret Marlin, and in 1819 came to Greene County, this State (or what was then Greene County), and settled first near the present site of Worthington, but afterward removed to Highland Township, where, by his honorable conduct and neighborly ways, he acquired many warm and steadfast friends. He was a hard working and economical citizen and a credit to the township. He died in 1872, followed by his widow a year later. They were the parents of this family: George, Catharine, Isaac, Elizabeth, Rebecca, William B. H., Maria L. and Elvira J. Of these, the following named are deceased: George, Elizabeth, Rebecca and Maria L. George B. Stalcup, of the above, and the oldest child in the family, was born March 6, 1814, in Tennessee; came with his parents to Indiana; was married, in August, 1834, to Mary Buckner, who was born June 6, 1813, in North Carolina, and came with her parents to Greene County when yet a small child. Of the fourteen children born to them, only two daughters are the survivors. These are Mary (Mrs. Jacob Bucher) and Josephine (Mrs. Thomas C. Owen). George B. Stalcup died October 31, 1880, and his widow November 12, 1883. Catharine, or " Aunt Katy," as she is more familiarly known, is the second born in the family of James Stalcup. She is a native of Tennessee, her birth occurring January 26, 1816. She was married to John Jones, a native of South Carolina, March 26, 1835, by whom she had two children, only one?Mrs. Margaret Howe, of Worthington?be- ing the only survivor. Mr. Jones died December8, 1838, and two years later his widow became Mrs. Benjamin C. Ballard. Four years later, she was again left a widow with two children by her second husband, as follows: John J. and Ellen (Mrs. D. H. Wylie). Mrs. Ballard deserves no small amount of credit for the success she has made in life. She was widowed both times with heavy burdens to be borne, with small children to care for, and pecuniary embarrassments to overcome, but under these discouraging features she went to work with determination, and this is the result: Besides rearing and amply educating her own children, she has extended the hand of charity liberally to other children in a like manner. She and son own upward of 900 acres of some of Greene County's best land, and they are considered among the best of Highland Township's citizens. William B. H. Stalcup, the, sixth born of the children of James Stalcup, is a native of the township and county where he now resides, his birth occurring April 6, 1828. His marriage with Susan R. Ballard was solemnized in 1848. and two children were the result of this union?Benjamin and one that died in infancy unnamed. The mother was born in Shelby County, Ky., July 5, 1831. Benjamin Stalcup was born September 5, 1849, and October 5, 1870, Miss Ella R. Osborn became his wife. Bertha C. is their only living offspring. Benjamin has been a teacher in the schools of Greene County for a number of terms, and besides being well informed on the leading topics of the day, he is enterprising and one of the county's promising young men. The Stalcup family are descended from Swiss ancestors but for many generations they have been residents of the United States. As a class of people they have devoted the greater part of their lives to farming and with but few exceptions they have always lived on the frontier, where their strength and skill as frontiersmen have served them with homes, even rude though it may have been. In politics, as in religious matters, they are independent, each individual member adhering to his own views, and they are universally capable of supporting their ideas with sound logic and reasoning. For further particulars of the Stalcup family refer to the historical department.
Reuben Smith, a well-to-do farmer, living on Section 17, was in Spencer County, Ky., August 1, 1823, and is a son of Morgan born and Elizabeth (Jeems) Smith, with whom he removed to Floyd County, when about two years old, where he was raised to seventeen years Ind., of age. His mother dying in about 1840, his father remarried and to Missouri, after which Reuben returned to his native State, moved to where he married Eliza Roberts, on November 19, 1843. In November, 184'7, he and family moved to Greene County, Ind., and purchasing pre-empted land on Section 21, in Highland Township, eighty acres of there located and engaged in farming. In November, 1864, they moved to where they now live, which has since been their home. Mr. Smith is an industrious citizen, and by hard work and economy he and wife have goodly share of this world's goods. At one time he accumulated a owned two hundred and fifty acres of land, but of this he now only owns ninety acres, having given the remainder to his children. For nine months and six days Mr. Smith served his country in the late war as a member of Company A, Twenty-fifth Indiana Infantry. He joined at Atlanta, and with him marched to the sea, thence to Sherman's army the Carolinas and finally participated in the grand review at Washington. He was discharged at Indianapolis in July, 1865. His grandfather, Reuben Smith, was a commissioned officer in the Revolutionary war, and during that sanguinary struggle fought over the same ground as did our subject in the rebellion. Mr. Smith is a Republican and he and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, Mrs. Smith having belonged to that denomination for over forty-one years. Nine children have been the fruit of their union, whose names are: John W., (deceased), two that died in infancy unnamed, Mary E: (deceased). Nimrod C., James C., Irene L., jerinie and Armstead (deceased). The mother is a native of Jefferson County-, Ky., born February 12, 1821, a daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Lane) Roberts. Mr. and Mrs. Smith are among the first families of their township.