Greene County Biographies
Arch Aikman, Trustee of Washington Township, is a native Hoosier, born in Daviess County in 1836, a son of Hugh and Ada (Williams) Aikman. Hugh Aikman was born in Daviess County, Ind., in the year 1812, and is said to be the first male white child born on the West Fork of White River. His wife was born in the same county, in 1814, and their early life was passed amidst the Indians, wild animals, and in participating in the discomforts of pioneer life. Arch Aikman was raised on a farm, and when twenty years old began working at the house carpenter and joiner's trade on his own responsibility. In 1870, he embarked in undertaking at Lyons, which has since been his occupation. He was married to Miss Elizabeth Plummer, his first wife, in 1858, and three children were the result of their union--William, Effie and Ada. The mother died in 1877, and for his present wife Mr. Aikman selected Savillia Edwards, by whom he is the father of three children--Lillie, Grace and Arch. Mr. Aikman is a member of the Odd Fellows brotherhood, and he and wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1880, he was first elected Township Trustee, and in 1882 was re-elected.
DR. W. H. H. Asbury, son of W. D. and Elizabeth (Bowman) Asbury, is a native of Kentucky, as were also his parents, his birth occuring August 5, 1840, in Fleming County. When nine years old, he removed with his parents to Sullivan County, Ind., where he was reared and educated, his schooling being finished at Farmersburg Seminary. He was employed in school teaching for about three years, afterward going to Centerville, Vigo County, and beginning the study of medicine under the tuition of Dr. Hollingsworth. In 1868, he took a course of lectures at the Ohio Medical College, Cincinnati, but did not graduate until attending a second course in 1875. Dr. Asbury is one of Greene County's best physicians, and previous to his location at Jasonville, in 1876, he carried on a good practice, at different times, in Centerville, Freedom, Sandborn and Middletown. While at Freedom, his marriage, on the 1st of September, 1870, with Miss Ludie Landrum, was solemnized, and to this union have been born three children--Mary L., Pearl and Lulu. Mrs. Asbury was born in Owen County, Ind., July 22, 1850, a daughter of R. B. and S. J. Landrum, who were natives respectively of Virginia and Indiana. Dr. Asbury is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and although a Democrat in politics is inclined in his belief to the doctrines of the National Greenback party.
George Baughman, son of Jacob and Margaret M. (Houser) Baughman, was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, July 6, 1833. His parents were natives of Maryland and Virginia respectively, but removed to Coshocton County, Ohio, at an early day, where they became known as one of the best and wealthiest families of that portion of the country. Jacob Baughman departed this life in March, 1876, but his widow still survives him and resides in Coshocton County. George Baughman was raised a farmer, in youth securing a fair education. In 1854, he moved west to the Hoosier State and settled in Greene County on his present place in Wright Township, giving $1.25 and $2.50 per acre for a quarter-section. He immediately began improving this property, and as his means increased, would add to what he already had, so that by economy and industry, he now owns a valuable farm of 440 acres. He is one of the best citizens Wright Township ever had, and his influence has been greatly felt in the advancement of educational and religious matters of the community. He has taught school in the neighborhood for a number of terms, and from his own individual mans contributed largely in the erection of the New Lebanon Church, which is both a blessing and an ornament to the township In 1863, he became a private in Company A, One Hundred and Fifteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, serving as such eight months, when he was changed to Company B, Fifty-third Indiana Volunteers, being finally discharged at Louisville, Ky., July 21, 1865. Mr. Baughman was married May 5 1855, to Miss Emily Larr, who was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, June 25 1832, a daughter of David and Nancy (Miller) Larr, natives respectively of Pennsylvania and Virginia. Mrs. Baughman came with her parents to Greene County, Ind., when thirteen years old, and by Mr. Baughman is the mother of eight living children--Miriam M., William E., Matilda N., Mary D., George A. Jacob, Emma S. and David, and one deceased, Margaret E. Mr. Baughman is one of the representatives of what a poor boy can do under adverse circumstances On his arrival, he had only one horse--blind--sent to him from Ohio by his father, and 5 cents in money. The latter was used to defray postage on a letter to his old mother, and for this, if no other reason, Mr. Baughman is rewarded with prosperity for his filial devotion.
Robert A. J. Benefield, M. D., is a native of Hamilton County, Ohio, where he was born September 22, 1829, the youngest of eleven children of Robert and Mary (White) Benefiel. With his parents he settled in Knox County, Ind., where he lived until 1848, when he joined the regular army, Company B, Third Regiment United States Cavalry, but the Mexican war, for which he enlisted, ending soon after, he received his discharge July 10,1848. Returning to Indiana, he settled at Carlisle, in Sullivan County, where he read medicine for a time, and in 1853 graduated at the Ohio Medical College. In November, 1853, he was married to Sarah P. Johnson, of Knox County, by whom he is the father of ten children, five now living: Jacob W., Caleb W., Robert M., Thomas B. and Leona L. In November, 1854, he located at Scotland and has lived in Greene County ever since. On December 19, 1871, his wife died, and on April 8, 1880, he was again married, to Mrs. Mary J. (Hawkins) Hagaman, who bore him two children--Lulu B. and Alpha O. His last wife died September 3,1883. Dr. Benefiel is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Marco, and of the Blue Lodge in Masonry. Having been in the practice of medicine for over thirty years, he has been very successful, and looks with satisfaction upon his past record.
John Bledsoe is a son of David and Elizabeth (Groves) Bledsoe, both of whom were natives of North Carolina, from whence they removed to Eastern Tennessee at an early day, and from there to Greene County, Ind., in 1837, where Mr. Bledsoe died in August,1877. John Blesoe is a native of East Tennessee, where he was born June 5, 1820, and is of Dutch and Scottish descent. When seventeen years of age, he came with his parents to Indiana, shortly after which he located a "claim," and began improving. In 1861, he erected a mill, and this he yet operates in conjunction with farming. Mr. Bledsoe is one of the progressive men of his locality, is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and a Democrat in politics. In 1840, he was elected Constable of his township, serving as such five years, the succeeding two years holding the office of District Trustee. In 1856, he was elected Justice of the Peace, in which capacity he served until the winter of 1857-58, when he was elected Doorkeeper in the House of Representatives. Mr. Bledsoe has been twice married, his first wife being Nancy Eveans, to whom he was married in Greene County in April, 1839. Mrs.Bledsoe was a member of the family of Walter and Rachel (Jones) Eveans, who were natives of Tennessee. She became the mother of nine children, whose names are William, Mary, Sallie, Isaac W., Elizabeth, David H., Rebecca A., Rachel C. and James A. The mother died August 1,1877, and May 28, 1879, Mr. Bledsoe and Mrs. Lyda M. Watkins were married, in Sullivan County. Mrs. Bledsoe was born on the 14th of September, 1837, and both husband and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.
John H. Bovenschen, farmer, and stock-raiser, was born on the River Rhine, Germany, near Freamarhen, in the year 1824. He learned the carpenter's trade with his father, for whom he worked until twenty-four years old, and in 1848 embarked for America. After a tempestuous voyage of fifty-six days, he arrived in the Unitied States in safety, and coming to Greene County, Ind., purchased eighty acres of land in Stockton Township, which he began farming and improving. In 1851, he purchased 120 acres, where he now resides in Fairplay Township, which is one of the best farms in the county, and on which he has erected a house that is a credit to the township and himself as well. He now owns in all 300 acres of land, which he has earned entirely by his own exertions. In 1856, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary Moss, daughter of Rev. Aquilla and Sallie (Harrah) Moss, by whom he is the father of four children--Stepehn, Aquilla, John W., deceased, Elijah and Joseph Milton. Both of Mr.Bovenschen's parents died in the old country. They were the parents of four children named Catharine (deceased), J. H., Charlotte (Mrs. Switz) and Hannah.
John H. Bullerman was born in the year 1819 at Moers, Prussia, where his parents were influential citizens and possessed of considerable means. He was early sent to school and by continuous application succeeded in gaining an academic education, after which, he engaged in farming until his twentieth year, when, he served three years as a member of the Eighth Hussars, subsequently serving for a time in the provisional army. A dissatisfaction engendered by the Revolution of 1848, and other causes, resulted n the banding together of a large number of relatives, with the avowed purpose of seeking homes in the freedom of the United States; and accordingly on the 18th of April of that year, they bade farewell to friends relatives and fatherland, took passage on board the ship Libra, of Rotterdam, for the El Dorado of their anticipations whither Mr. Bullermen's father-in-law, Mr. Shryer, had preceded them the year previous, to locate a place where the little colony might settle, live and prosper together. Mr. Shryer preformed his mission faithfully, but died soon afterward from the effects of cholera, as did many others of the party. The colony of relatives were fifty-six days upon the ocean, during which time they endured twenty-six days of stormy weather, and to add to their sufferings, cholera visited them, carrying away nearly one-half their number, among them, being a child of the subject of this sketch. Mr. Bullermen and Matilda Shryer, the fifth child of J. B. and Matilda (Konen) Shryer, were united in marriage in 1845, and to them fourteen children have been born, only two--Henry and Elizabeth--yet living, and these reside with their parents.
James Carpenter, a prosperous merchant at Lyons, and a descendent of one of the pioneer families of Greene County, was born in the township where he yet resides in 1844. He is one of three surviving children in a family of nine born to John and Mahala (Simmons) Carpenter, both of whom were natives of Indiana and who located in Greene County as early as 1826,participating in all the hardships and inconveniences of pioneer life. John Carpenter departed this life in 1861, and his widow in 1874. James passed his youth and early manhood on the home farm and attending the public schools. He began clerking, after farming for himself for some time, but in 1876 embarked in merchandising at Lyons with R. M. Gilbert as parnter. At the end of about four years, he became the firm's successor. At present he has a partner, and they carry a well-assorted stock amounting ot over $5,000. Besides his interest in this property, Mr. Carpenter owns forty acres of land and several town lots in Lyons. He is a Democrat in political sentiment and is one of the county's best citizens. In 1880, he was united in marriage with Miss Allie Hornbeck.
Uriah Christenberry, a native of Taylor Township, Greene Co., Ind., was born August 18,1833, and is one of thirteen children of Hiram and Lucy (Baker) Christenberry, who were among the pioneers of Greene County. Excepting a few years, Mr. Christenberry has always made his home in the county where he now resides, and here he received his schooling from the primitive log cabin of that day. His marriage with Lucinda Wesner was solemnized December 11,1856, and on the 22d of April, 1860, he was left a widower with one child, Lucinda now living. He married his second wife, Mrs. Suaney (Porter) Grove, September 8, 1864, and to this union seven children have been born--Lillie Belle, John F., Thomas J., Emilie E., Minnie M., Walter C. and Lulu A. Mr. Christenberry has followed farming mostly through life, and besides this he was connected in the drug trade at Newberry for about eight years. He owns a good farm of 200 acres, nicely improved and under good cultivation. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is one of the progressive and best citizens of the county. In youth, he received the sobriquet of "Tom," and by this name he is as much known as by the name he was christened.
Andrew J. Cox, stock-dealer, Newberry, was born in Monroe County, Ind., February 27, 1849, and is a son of Isaac and Charion (Brummet) Cox, both of whom were natives of Tennessee. Isaac Cox came to Indiana previous to his marriage, settled in Monroe County, where he filled various positions of honor and trust, and engaged in farming and stock-dealing. He was an old Jackson Democrat in politics, and he and wife were intelligent and esteemed citizens and the parents of seventeen children. He departed this life in November, 1874, but his widow still surives him and lives on the old place in Monroe County. Andrew J. was reared upon the home farm, and until sixteen years old attended the common schools. He then attended the State University at Bloomington two years, after which he entered the Bryant & Stratton Business College at Louisville, Ky., graduating in 1869. The fall of this year he came to Greene County and for about four years taught school at Newberry and Scotland. June 16, 1875, Miss Sadie Shoemaker became his wife. This lady was born at Newberry, a daughter of Daniel and Susanna Shoemaker, who were among the early and well known settlers of the county. She died February 28, 1879. Since the death of his wife, Mr. Cox has made his home at Newberry, his time being employed in buying stock over Greene and adjoining counties. He is an excellent judge of stock, and is one of the county's best business men. As a Democrat in politics, he is outspoken in his view, and at one time was the candidate of his party for County Auditor, suffering defeat only by four votes, which fully attests his popularity. He is a member of the F. & A. M. and the K. of P. fraternities, is a jovial companion, frank and generous in disposition, and is a man possessed of more than average literary attainments.
J. H. Daubenspeck, a successful farmer of Fairplay Township, was born in the year 1833, near Moers, Prussia, where he was raised on a farm, his education being obtained at the high school and college of his native town. Until thirty-three years of age, he was engaged in agricultural pursuits on his father's farm, but in 1866 he embarked for the United States with the purpose of making him a home in a new and free country. He first located in Grant Township, Greene County, Ind., but after a residence there of two and a half years he purchased the farm in Fairplay Township, where he now resides. Mr. Daubenspeck is one of the well known and highly esteemed men of his township, and although comimg to this country with little or no knowledge of American institutions he has, by application, become thoroughly versed in local public affairs, and besides having served his township as Assessor, was, in 1882, elected Trustee. He was married in November, 1870, to Anna Sabilla Molls, who was also a native of the Rhine country, born in 1848, a daughter of Henry and Louisa (Kremer) Molls. Mrs. Daubenspeck emigrated to this country a short time after Mr. Daubenspeck, and to their union this family has been born: Agnes, Willie, Henry, Diedrich (deceased) and Gerhard.
Thomas J. East was born in Monroe County, Ind., in 1844, and when only one year old his parents removed to Greene County, where he was raised upon a farm, receiving his early education from the common schools, subsequently attending the Bloomfield Seminary and Bartlet Commercial College of Cincinnati, graduating from the last-named institution in 1865. For two terms, he was employed as school teacher in Center Township, this county, and for three years served as Assistant Recorder of the county. He then located at Lyons, where he embarked in merchandising, and acted as agent for the Indianapolis & Vincennes Rialroad for some time, afterward buying and shipping stock. In 1866, Miss Sue L., the only surviving daughter of James and America E. (Ferguson) Van Slyke, became his wife, and to them have been born five children--James J., Cora A., Nettie, Edgar P. and Roscoe T. Thomas P. East, the father of Thomas J., was of English origin, his birth occurring in North Carolina in 1814. He came to Monroe County, Ind., with his parents in about 1830, where he was married to Sarah Carmichael, who was born in the year 1815, a daughter of Richard and Mary (Graves) Carmichael. Mr. East became prominent in the affairs of Greene County after his removal here in 1845, and at one time was selected as Probate Judge, but, owing to the change into the Common Pleas Court, was debarred serving in this capacity. He was employed in stock-buying and banking for many years, and by his upright conduct and generous ways secured a large circle of warm friends. He died in this county in 1872.
F. M. Gilbert, a native of Williams County, Ohio, was born August 17, 1848, and in October, 1865, came with his father to Greene County, Ind., which has since been his home. To his parents Eli B. and Ann (Calvin) Gilbert, two children wre born--F. M. and Lois, now Mrs. D. M. Bynum. The mother died September 27, 1864, and to the father's marriage with Phebe Boys, the following children were born: Ida, Lee, Effie, Wade H. and one that died in infancy. Eli B. Gilbert was a farmer, an honored and esteemed citizen, whose death on the 8th of January, 1881, was universally regretted by all who knew him. F. M. Gilbert attended the district schools in youth, was raised on a farm and on attaining majority began doing for himself. He completed his schooling by attending business college at Warrento, Mo., and Lexington, Ky. and embarked in merchandising at Lyons in 1872, with D. M. Bynum as a partner. At the end of eighteen months, he sold out, but in September, 1875, again began merchandising at Lyons. In March, 1876, James Carpenter became his partner, and at the end of about four years the successor of the firm, by reason of Mr. Gilbert's selling out and engaging in the grain trade. He then sold out, came to Newberry, where he operates a general store, carrying about $4,500 worth of goods, and transacts an average annual trade of $11 000. Mr. Gilbert is a Democrat and an earnest advocate of the temperance cause. He was married, February 23,1879, to Carrie Alkire, by whom he is the father of three children--Armor, Cline and Ethel. The parents are members of the Christian Church and among Newberry's best citizens.
Isaac Halstead, an ex-hotel keeper at Lyons, but at present retired from active pursuits, was born in the State of New York in the year 1811, and is one of two surviving children in a family of eight, born to A. and M. M. Halstead, who were also natives of New York. His father was a Democrat in politics, and an honorable and upright citizen. He died in1860, preceded by his wife two years. Isaac Halstead learned the tanner's trade of his father, but his life has been passed in various pursuits, among which is farming, working at his trade, milling, merchandising and keeping hotel. In 1858, he located in Newberry, where for two years he carried on merchandising with a reasonable degree of success. His is now living a retired life in Lyons, where he owns property to the value of $3,000. Miss Elizabeth M. Terwilliger became his wife in 1833, and four of their ten children are yet living--Martha E., David N., Sarah C. and Abraham M. Mr. and Mrs. Halstead are members of long standing in the Christian Church, and as the shades of the sunset of life fall on their heads, they can look backward over a life of usefulness, without remorse or regret.
Rev. James B. Hamilton, a well-known man in Greene County, was born October 16, 1820, in Washington County, Ind. His parents Archibald and Susannah (Bridges) Hamilton, were natives of North Carolina; were married in 1808, became the parents of five children, three of whom are yet living, and in 1817 became residents of the county where the subject of this sketch was born. James B. was raised on a farm, and in 1840 was wedded to Miss Elizabeth W. Rice, a native of Kentucky, who died in 1854, the mother of five children--Emmons R., Cyrus N., Elisha Asbury, Mollie and Susannah. All are living, and the oldest, since 1873, has been in Washington Territory. Mr Hamilton married Miss Euphrasia Stuckey in 1855, and by her is the father of two children--Ida M. and Elizabeth A. Early in life, Mr. Hamilton experienced religion, and believing that many souls were yet to be saved, he applied, and was admitted a member of the Indiana Methodist Episcopal Conference. He has pursued his ministerial labors in various portions of the State, and at present his location is at Edwardsport and Oaktown. While at Linton, Greene County, during a portion of the late war, and being a man of pronounced Union sentiments, he was unmercifully assailed by rebel sympathizers, and threatened violence of numerous kinds. Notwithstanding these troubles, he continued his labors as honestly and conscientiously as before. For a time he was out in the service, as Chaplain of the Thirty-first Indiana Volunteers. In politics, Mr. Hamilton is a Republican, and in Masonry has passed through the different degrees, until at present he is a Sir Knight of the Commandery at Louisville. He owns a good farm of 200 acres in Washington Township, this county, and where known is universally respected.
Daniel B. Hatfield, grocer, was born in Jackson Township, Greene County, Ind , May 1, 1838. His father, Mordica Hatfield, was a native of Campbell County Tenn., born November 17, 1818, and was descended from Irish ancestors. Ale Hatfield, father of Mordica, together with his family, removed to Indiana in 1831, and was induced to locate in Greene County by reason of fine water facilities and an abundance of wild game. They settled in Jackson Township and occupied their time largely in hunting, becoming justly celebrated as hunters. In about 1844, Ale Hatfield died. Mordica married Millie Richardson when seventeen years old, and fourteen children blessed this union, all of whom were raised to maturity, Ten of these were daughters, six being twins, and the entire family are now married. The sons of Ale Hatfield, not receiving any schooling, were unable to read or write, but they all became honored and respected citizens, as have also their children. Mordica Hatfield was an ordained preacher of the Baptist Church for over twenty-five years. He died September 14, 1869, followed by his widow April 8, 1875. D. B Hatfield was raised and educated in his native township. November 17, 1859, he married Miss Rachel Burcham, who died May 15, 1873, leaving four children the following three?Wesley M., Laura E. and Serepta M.?yet living, and John L., deceased. Mr. Hatfield enlisted August 16, 1862, in Company G, Ninety-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry, served three years, during the war participating in all the battles from Buzzard's Roost to Atlanta, at the latter place being wounded by a minie ball in the right thigh. After recovering from this wound, he was transferred to Rock Island, and detailed on guard duty where he remained until discharged July 16, 1865. He then came home, farmed four years, and in 1870 entered upon the duties of County Recorder, having been elected the preceding year. After serving four years he was re-elected, serving in all eight years. For two years he practiced law but since that time has been engaged in merchandising. He married his first wife's sister. Violet Burcham, October 1, 1873, to which union three children were born?Onias, Daniel B. and Mary V., all deceased. The mother died March 24, 1878. Mr. Hatfield married Marie H. Alexander June 9, 1878, by whom he is the father of two sons?Thomas R. and Alexander H. He is a Democrat, a member of. the F. & A. M., and a non-affiliating member of the I 0. 0. F.
John A. Hawkins, farmer and stock-raiser, was born near where he now resides in Washington Township, October 15,1848, and is one of four living children in a family of eight born to Jonathan and Elizabeth (Aikman) Hawkins, who came from Daviess County to Greene County, Ind., in 1847, where they died in about 1871 and 1878 respectively, members of long standing in the Methodist Episcopal Church. John A. Hawkins was reared in his native county, receiving in youth but a common school education, and on attaining his majority began doing for himself. He selected farming as his vocation, through life, as did his father before him, and is the present owner of 123 acres of good farming and grazing land. In 1872, he was united in marriage with Miss Louisa Casey, who was born in Tennessee, May 25,1849, a daughter of Dempsy and Dicy Casey, and by her is the father of three daughters, named Ida Belle, Dicy Elizabeth and Louisa. Mr. Hawkins is an enterprising and progressive citizen, a Republican in politics, and himself and wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Daniel Henshaw was of Sourthern birth, born December 16, 1826. The death of his father when he was an infant left him to the care of his mother, who removed with him to Greene County, Ind., in 1828, and afterward married William Bynum. Daniel Henshaw married Anna Dellinger for his first wife, but she and the three children born to them are now dead. He was married to Susanna (Slinkard) Shoemaker in December, 1860, and in 1861 became a member of Company C, Fifty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and died of disease at Farmington, Tenn., July 3, 1862. Mrs. Henshaw was the daughter of Frederick Slinkard. She was born in Greene County July 1,1827; was married to Daniel Shoemaker in August, 1848, by whom she had five children, only two--Catharine E. and Frederick S.--yet living. Mr. Shoemaker died February 5,1859, and by her last husband, Mrs. Henshaw was the mother of two children--Anaa (Mrs. David Nugent) being the only survivor. Mrs. Henshaw has been a member of the Lutheran Church since sixteen years old, and resides at Newberry, within sight of her birthplace.
D. M. Hilderbrand, a native of the "Keystone State," was born in the year 1824, a son of Michael and Christina (Harsh) Hildebrand. His early years were passed in assisting his parents on the home farm and attending subscription schools, such as were common at that period.' In 1845, his union with Miss Margaret Keys was solemnized, and the following named of the seven children born to them are yet living: Henry vir Ira A, James Br.' Mc., Louella and Carrie E. Mr. Hildebrand came to Greene County, Ind? in 1882, purchased the farm of Dr. H. V. Nor-yell, in Richland Township, and has since resided here, where he has won the respect and esteem of his fellow-men. His eldest son purchased the Richland Flouring Mills on Richland Creek, and is now producing an excellent quality of flour, which meets the approbation of those who patronize the mill. Although but a recent corner to Greene County, Mr. Hildebrand is taking an active part in the welfare of his adopted county. In politics, he is Democratic, and both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Henry C. Hill (deceased), son of John and Jane (Johnson) Hill, was born in Greene County, Ind., December 13, 1834, and was always a resident of his native county. He received a liberal literary education, read law with William Mack, now of Terre Haute, and after his graduation from the. Law Department of the State University in 1859, formed a partnership with his preceptor and embarked in the practice of his profession. He was a man of keen discernment, possessed of superior qualifications for his profession, but in the midst of a successful career was compelled to relinquish active pursuits by reason of ill-health, which culminated in his death May 4, 1865. Mr. Hill was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, a Democrat, and for some time held the office of County School Examiner. His father migrated from North Carolina to Greene County at an early day, and became one of our early pioneers. June 25, 1861, witnessed the marriage of Henry C. Hill and Miss Emma Ritter. Mrs. Hill is yet living in Greene County, where she was born, raised and has always resided.
Marion Hindman (deceased.) was born in Dubois County, Ind., October 20, 1840 the eldest of six children born to John B. and Maria (McDonald) Hindman,who were of Irish extraction. When a small boy, he came with his parents to Greene County, where he received a fair education. He began reading medicine but on the news of the fall of Sumter relinquished his previous intentions, and October 12, 1861, enlisted in Company I, Forty-first Indiana Reg. (Cay.) He was a faithful and fearless soldier, and a participant in some of the hardest campaigns of the late war. He was honorably 'discharged October 4, 1864, then returned to Greene County and embarked in the drug trade at Newberry; afterward the dry goods business; but in 1875 sold out and began dealing in stock. He was married, July 4, 1867, to Miss Margaret E. Slinkard two children being the blessing of their union?Laura A. and Frank M. Mr. Hindman was a man of push and energy, as well as one of the county's most valued citizens. He assisted liberally in the advancement of all laudable public measures, and by industry had accumulated a comfortable income. Although a member of no church, he was a Christian in the fullest sense of the word and his death, November 5, 1878, was universally regretted. Mrs. Hindman moved to Bloomfield with her children in 1879, where she has since resided.
T. D. Huff, one of the oldest established merchants of Bloomfield, was born in Washington County, Ind., March 14, 1817, and is a son of Stephen and Elizabeth Huff, natives respectively of West Virginia and Kentucky. He received but a common education, taught school for some time, and when twenty-two years old began mercantile life in Martinsburg, which he continued until 1864. In February of that year,he openeu general store on the northeast corner of the square in Bloomfield, with a $3,000 stock of goods, but in 1868 he removed to the north side, where he continued selling goods until his removal to his present location in 1878. In 1877, he began the erection of his brick business block, which was completed the year following at a cost of $5, 500. Mr. Huff has been one of the most successful and reliable merchants ever in Bloomfield, and by his own energy and industry has accumulated a corafortable fortune. He owns one dry goods store one grocery and provision store, and a two-thirds interest in the hardware store of Huff & Rankin in Bloomfield. His capital invested in merchandising in the town amounts to $20,000. and he yearly transacts a business of about $65,000. Mr. Huff is a Republican, and to his marriage with Caroline Andrews which was consummated in September, 1850, five children have been born. The parents are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
J. W. Ingersoll, a native of the county in which he continues to reside, was born in 1847, and is one of the following-named members of the family of Peter and Typhenia (Wines) Ingersoll: Catharine, Sherwood, J. W., Phebe Baker, Mary Hunt, H. C. (deceased), Lizzie (deceased) and two that died in infancy. Lizzie became the wife of James Starnes, and died at her home in Kansas. Her remains were brought to Indiana, and interred in the cemetery at Worthington, where also rests the remains of her father. Peter Ingersoll was born Apirl 2, 1805, in NewYork State, and at an early day came with his parents to Greene Cunty, Ind., where he was married to Typhenia Wines, who was born May 9, 1809, a daughter of Leonard Wines. He died October 9, 1876, preceded by his wife, May 12,1852. The latter rests in peace by the side of her first-born in the village cemetery at Dixon. Both parents were members of the Presbyterian Church. J. W. Ingersoll passed his boyhood days upon his father's farm, and when seventeen years old volunteered his service for the suppression of the rebellion in Company F, One Hundred and Forty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He served with his regiment through several engagements and long marches through Georgia, and was mustered out of the service at Terre Haute, Ind., in 1865. His eldest brother, H. C., wh died July 16, 1866, of disease contracted in the service was a member of the One Hundred and Fifteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and his death left a daughter, who is living with our subject. J. W. Ingersoll and Mary J. Dixon were married in 1869, and to them have been born two children--D. A. and H. P. Mrs. Ingersoll was born in 1849, a daughter of Daniel G. and Mary J. (Walker) Dixon, who are among the first settlers of Greene County.
Harvey W. Letsinger, son of Lewis P. and Margaret (Thorlton) Letsinger, was born in Wright Township, Greene Co., Ind., May 24, 1849. His parents were natives of Tennessee and emigrated North to Indiana at a very early period in the history of the Hoosier State, iodating first in Clay County, but afterward removing to Wright Township, this county, where Mr. Letsinger died in February, 1878. On first coming to this locality, the country was yet in its infancy,. and Mr. Letsinger obtained his land by entering it from the Government. Being a pioneer and inured to the hardships of pioneer life, he would leave his sons to look after the farm at home while he would take contracts for clearing, and with the proceeds derived from his labors invest in more land, so that he became one of the large land owners of the township Hunting was his favorite pastime, and during his leisure hours would spend the time with his gun, and rarely return without abundant proof of his skill as a marksman. He was a leading spirit in the Methodist Church, and although a man of quiet and retiring disposition, was decisive in his views on all the leading topics of the day. He first became a member of the Whig party in politics, but in 1856 joined the Republicans, with whom he ever afterward worked in harmony. Six of his sons went to battle with the right during the rebellion, three of whom found. soldiers' graves in Southern soil, two dying of wounds and one of disease. Three sons-in-law fought for their country's flag in this war, and two never fully recovered from its effects but have joined those on their final march. Harvey W. Letsinger is the youngest of this family, numbering in all thirteen children, seven of whom are yet living. He is of German-Irish descent; was raised on the home farm, secured an academical education, and for seven terms was engaged in teaching school. The fall of 1873, he entered the Law Department of the State University, graduating in 1875, and in March of the succeeding year associating himself in partnership in the practice of his profession with Capt. J. D. Alexander. In politics, Mr. Letsinger is a Republican and has served as Deputy County Treasurer and Assistant State's Attorney. Miss Mary Cushman became his wife December 24, 1879, and they are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church and the parents of one son, Reed A.
Howard R. Lowder, M. D., was born in Lawrence County, Ind., February 14, 1845. He is a son of Milton Lowder, and grandson of Ralph Lowder, the latter locating in Lawrence County in 1814, when their nearest neighbor lived ten, miles away, and where the former's birth occurred in 1819. Milton married Anna Storm, who was born in Greene County in 1818, whose father served the colonies eight years in their struggle for independence, and both the Lowder and Storm families are among the earliest pioneers of Southern Indiana. Howard R. Lowder is one of the successful physicians of Greene County. At an early age, he entered the State University, but did not complete the Sophomore year until 1868. August 25, 1861, being then only sixteen years old, he enlisted in Company F, Forty-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry; served nearly three years as a private, but on the re-organization of the regiment was made First Sergeant, and November 19, 1864, was promoted to First Lieutenant and Adjutant. He served in this capacity until being mustered out of service June 16, 1865. He was an active factor in the battles of New Madrid, Ruddle's Point, surrender of Memphis, Fort Pemberton, Helena, Missouri River and Jenkins' Ferry. In 1871, be began the study of medicine, teaching school during the time to defray expenses. Previous to his graduation from the Indiana Medical College in February, 1875, Dr. Lowder practiced at Harrodsburg and Parke. In 1875, he located in Bloomfield where he has the confidence and esteem of the citizens. April 6, 1865, he married Miss F. J. Kissell, and to them four children have been born, only two yet living. Dr. Lowder is a Republican and a Royal Arch Mason.
John Miller, JR., a native of Lebanon County, Penn., and one of the present Commissioners of Greene County was born October 10, 1830. The year succeeding his birth, his parents, John and Elnora (Imboden) Miller, moved to Wayne County, Ohio, where he was reared and educated. John Miller, Sr., pursued his trade of blacksmith after going to the Buckeye State, and also farmed to some extent, having purchased a tract of land from his limited means. In order to obtain more land at a low price, he and family removed to Indiana in 1850, purchasing 240 acres in Richland Township, Greene County, paying for the same $2,000. Mrs. Miller died October 3, 1865, and Mr. Miller married for his second wife, Mrs. Elizabeth (Barton) Osborn, with whom he lives, a retired life near Bloomfield. John Miller, Jr., is one of the following-named children: Henry, Maria, John, Catharine, Elizabeth, Leah, Caroline, David and Polly. At twenty-two years of age, he began doing for himself, and September 23, 1852, Miss Sarah R. Miller became his wife. Their union has been fruitful in the birth of thirteen children---2Samuel H. (deceased), David N., John P. and Jacob M. (twins, deceased), William C. P., Hannah E., Tabitha E., Mary Belle, Oliver P., Susan M., an infant that died unnamed, Daisy D. and -Ethlene W. Two of the above are married, namely, Daniel N. to Florence R. Mattox, and Hannah E. to Henry Switz. Mrs. Miller is a native of Cumberland County, Penn., born March 15, 1832, a daughter of Rev. Samuel N. and Hannah (Phillips) Miller, who became residents of Greene County in 1850. John Miller, Jr., is one of the leading and substantial men of the county. He began life a poor boy, and by hard work, economy and good management has secured a competency. He owns a large and valuable farm of 645 acres, and besides carrying on farming in its various branches, deals largely in stock. In politics, he advocates the principles of the Republican party, and as a member of this organization was elected one of the Commissioners of the county in 1882. He and wife are members of the Church of God.
William M. Moss, editor and proprietor of the.Blooratield Perriocrat, is a native of this county, born in Stockton Township March 22,1852. His grandfather, Aquilla Moss, was a native of the Old Dominion, but removed,,to Kentucky at an early day; from there to Ohio, and later to Washington County Ind. In 1827, he removed to Greene County, where he ever afterward resided; he served in the war between the United States and Mexico; was the father of ten sons and two daughters, one son being Daniel H. Moss, father of William M.Daniel H., was married to Mary A. Mayfield, and two of their four chilciren are now living; William M: Moss, was raised in his native township and completed his literary schooling with two years' study at Farmersburg, in Ascension Seminary He afterward graduated at the Normal and Commercial Institute in Sullivan, and when nineteen years old began doing for himself. For ten years, beginning in 1870, he followed school teaching, and from 1876 to 1880 was Principal of Excelsior Seminary, in Vigo County. In June, 1880, he purchased the Bloomfield Democrat, and has since conducted one of the best county papers in Southern Indiana. Mr. Moss is a member of the F. & A. M., the K. of H., and in politics is an unswerving Democrat. He was married to Miss Hannah C., Scott, a native of Vermillion County, August 24, 1876, and they are parents of four children--Claude S. and Clyde, living; and Ada Blanche and Tardette, deceased.
DR. Joseph Mullane, a successful physician of Greene County, is a native of the city of New York, born in the year 1855. His father was a native of Ireland, but crossed the Atlantic to theUnited States in about 1840, and began working at the cabinet trade. He was married at Cincinnati to Ellen Sullivan , by Archbishop Purcell, and to them four children were born, all living but one. Mr. Mullane was a man in every sense of the word, and loyal to the cause of his adopted country. In 1861, he volunteered his services to aid in the suppression of the rebellion, and was captured, incarcerated in Andersonville Prison, where, after enduring the agony and sufferings of Southern prison life, for a time, expired, as it were, upon the altar of his country. Dr. Joseph Mullane became a resident of Indiana in 1865, and when sixteen years old began reading medicine with Dr. Short, of Springville. He attended one term of lectures at the Miami Medical College, Cincinnati, Ohio and one term at the Central Medical College, Indianapolis, Ind., graduating from the last-named institution in 1881. Since 1877, he has been practicing his profession, and at Lyons he has secured a lucrative practice. Dr. Mullane is a progressive citizen, a member of the Odd Fellows fraternity and the Christian Church.
T. C. Murray, manufacturer and dealer in boots and shoes, was born in Louisville, Ky., June 22, 1854, and is one of only two children living, in a family of ten, born to Dennis and Margaret (Coughlan) Mur- ray. His parents were natives respectively of Counties' Wexford and Cork, Ireland; were married at Manchester, England, in 1842, and four years after this event set sail for the United States. Mrs. Murray died in 187'7, but Mr. Murray has since re-married and resides at Bloomfield, working at shoe-making. T. C. Murray removed with his parents to Bloomington, Ind.. when two years old, and from there to Brown County, in 1857. He received only ordinary schooling advantages in youth, and when yet a boy learned the boot and shoe business of his father. He came with the . family to Bloomfield in 1874, and on the 11th of June, 1876, the nuptial ceremony of his union with Miss Matilda Doyle, was solemnized. Mrs. Murray bore her husband a family of four children?Sadie, Mary E., Dennis E. (deceased), and J. W.?but being afflicted with consumption bore her sufferings uncomplainingly, and finally gave up this life for the better one in the year 1883. Mr. Murray is among the enterprising young men of Bloomfield, and by strict attention to business and doing first-class work, has an established trade which requires his entire attention, and which he justly merits. In politics, he advocates the principles of the national Democratic party, and he is the present V. G. of Bloomfield Lodge, No. 457, I. 0. 0. F. He is a member of the Christian Church as was also Mrs. Murray.
Henry T. Neal, ex-Treasurer of Greene County, is a native of Clay County, Ind., born December 5, 1843, and is a son of Mahlon and Mary A. (Love) Neal, natives respectively of Ohio and Pennsylvania, and of Irish descent. The family settled in Clay County, Ind., in about 1838, where Mahlon Neal is yet living. His wife, after bearing and raising eleven children to years of maturity, died June, 1878, and he married Nancy Shepherd for his last wife, and this lady bore him two children. Henry T. Neal was raised on the old homestead in Ma native county, where 'he received such advantages as only were obtainable at that day. August 12, 1862, he became a private in Company K, Eighty fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was discharged May 28, 1865, with A Sergeant's chevrons. Mr. Neal's first military service was in Kentucky, but from here they were transferred to Nashville, Tenn., afterward participating in the battle of Fort Donnelson. After assisting in the errection of the forts on the river at Franklin Mr Neal was at the battle of the Thompson's Station, Tenn., where with the whole of Coburn's brigade, be was captured by Van Dorn's command. From Columbia, the prisoners were taken to Shelbyville, where for some time their rations were entirely corn. They were then paroled, sent to Tullahoma, thence to Chattanooga and Knoxville, at the latter place being shown the gallows erected for the followers of Brownlow. From here they were sent via Lynchburg and Danville to Libby Prison, where for about forty days Mr. Neal passed through all the horrors of Southern prison life during the war. He was exchanged at City Point and taken to Parole Camp at Camp Chase, where he remained until being allowed to rejoin his regiment. He was principally employed doing guard duty along the N. & C. R. R., until March, 1864, when he joined Sherman's army at Chattanooga, and participated in all its important battles and movements, including the march to the sea, the campaigi through the Carolinas, and the Grand Review at Washington. Since then, Mr. Neal has been engaged in various business call.. ings, his present occupation being buying grain and looking after his mining interests. In 1879, he entered the County Treasurer's office as Principal, having been elected the preceding fall, and in 1880 was reelected, serving four years in all. He is a Republican, a member of the F. & A M., and was married, in 1868, to Sarah E. Wboley, by whom he is the father of two children=-Elmer E. and Ella.
Amos D. Neidgih, a native of the " Buckeye State," was born in 1850, and came with his parents, Peter and Rebecca (Deven) Neidigh, to Greene County, Ind., in 1852. He was here raised to manhood, received but an ordinary education, and when fifteen years old embarked. on life's voyage for himself For a time he was engaged in stock-driving, but having a strong inclination for mechanical pursuits he learned blacksmithing, and has principally been engaged in engineering, blacksmithing and farming. He is one of the stirring men of his township, is a member of the I. 0. 0. F. and F. & A. M., owns 160 acres of land in the county and is the present Real Estate Appraiser and Assessor of Richland Township. In politics, he advocates Republican measures and was married to Miss Laura Simpson in 1877, by whom he is the father of three children?Oscar D., Freeling H. and Claudius S. Mr. Neidigh's mother died in about 1865, and his father in about 1879.
DR. Horace V. Norvell was born in Lawrence County, Ind., July 20, 1839, and is a son of Dr. R. G. and Amanda H. Norvell. Receiving a common school education in his youth, he became a resident of Bloomfield when eighteen years old, and this has been his place of residence, largely, ever since. In 1861, he served as Deputy County Treasurer, afterward engaging in merchandising for some time. He read medicine and attended lectures at the Ohio Medical College, after which he practiced his profession in Bloomfield for a number of years. In 1869, he received the appointment of United States Examining Surgeon for Greene County, but previous to this was elected Chairman of the Democratic County Central Committee. In the latter position, he has served various times, and in 1878 was elected a member of the Democratic State Central Committee. Dr. Norvell has taken an active part in all matters of public interest, especially in political matters. In 1874, be was elected by a good majority Treasurer of the county, and two years later he was re-elected with a majority of 698 votes, which, in a Republican county, reflects much on Dr. Norvell's personal popularity. During the session of the State Legislature of 1882-83, he was made a Director of the Southern Prison of the State, and is yet serving as such. In politics, he is a stanch Democrat, is a member of several leading secret orders; and October 25, 1871, he was married to Miss Emma, daughter of Dr. W. C. Smydth, of Worthington, to which union three sons have been born--Ralph N., Max W. and Horace R.
George W. Oosbon, a son of Asa and Parmelia (Lockwood) Osbon,and one of three living 'children in a family of eight, was born on the present site of Mineral City, Ind., August 15, 1830. The family settled in Greene County in about 1825, but later removed to Tippecanoe County, and while making that their residence the father and four daughters died. The mother, with the remainder of the family, then returned to Greene County, married Adam Stropes, and died in about 1873. George W. Osbon began learning the carpenter's trade when eighteen years old, serving a three years' apprenticeship. In July, 1850, Mary, daughter of Thomas Patterson, became his wife, and to them eight children have been born, only Thomas P., Virginia B., Emmett L., Mary, John A. and Frank, yet living. November 20, 1861, Mr. Osbon became a private in Company E, Fifty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, but shortly afterward was made Fifth Duty Sergeant, and at New Madrid was advanced to First Sergeant; NovemberZ 1862, he was discharged by reason of promotion to Second Lieutenant, but not receiving his commission until February 5, 1863, his name was not on the pay-roll, and for three months he not only served without pay, but furnished his own rations. He was promoted to the Captaincy of his company in August, 1863, serving as such until July, 1864, when, owing to illness in his family, resigned and returned home. Capt. Osbon saw much hard service in the late war, being a participant in the engagements of New Madrid, Island No. 10, siege and battle of Corinth, Port Gibson, Magnolia, Raymond, Jackson, Champion Hills, reduction of Vicksburg and Mission Ridge. In February, he returned home on veteran furlough, but rejoined his command at Huntsville the succeeding April, and was employed doing guard duty until his return home. Since the war, he has farmed, worked at his trade, conducted a provision store, and since 18'74 has served in the capacity of Justice of the Peace. Besides administering to the duties of his office, Capt. Osbon is actively engaged in a general loan and insurance business, representing nine of the leading insurance companies known. In January, 1883, his partnership with S. B. Graham was formed, which has since continued successfully under the firm name of Osbon & Graham. Capt. Osbon is a Mason, an Odd Fellow, a Republican in politics, and in 1878 was admitted a member of the Greene County bar.
James H. Quillin, one of six surviving children in a family of thirteen, was born in Greene County, Ind., in the year 1843, and is a son of William and Nancy (Stone) Quillin, natives respectively of Kentucky and Indiana. He aided his parents on the home farm until seventeen years old, and in May, 1861, enlisted in Company D, Fourteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, in which he served as private until March 23, 1862, when he became disabled by a gunshot wound through his leg. He was discharged by reason of disability, but in September, 1863, after recovery, he re-enlisted, becoming a member of Battery C, Second Indiana Artillery. In this he served until the war was virtually ended, but for six months after its close was detained on garrison duty at Fort Morgan, in Alabama. Mr. Quillin saw much hard service during the late war, and was a participant in the battle of Winchester, siege of the Spanish Fort, and the capture of Mobile. He was wedded to Miss J. Waggoner, in 1868, who died in June, 1873, leaving four children--Samuel, Rachel, Nancy and Noah V. In 1875, he married his present wife, and they are among the first families of Washington Township. For the past two and one half years, Mr. Quillin has conducted a successful drug trade at Lyons. His stock is carefully selected, and in value amounts to about $2,000. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and in politics a Democrat from principle, the remainder of his family being Republicans.
Franklin Ramsey, of Washington Township, was born January 26, 1839, in Columbiana County, Ohio, and is one of four children of Samuel and Margaret A. (Orr) Ramsey. Franklin Ramsey came to Greene County, Ind., in March, 1854 with his father's family, and settled in Stafford Township, where he received a common school education, such as the log schoolhouse of that day afforded. He enlisted for the late war, in Company C, of the Twenty-first Regiment Indiana Infantry, where he served over four years, and received an honorable discharge January 22, 1866. He was engaged in the following battles; Baton Rouge, Port Hudson and Spanish Fort and others. Since the war Mr. Ramsey has engaged in farming, and for seven years bought grain at Marco. He moved to Washington Township in November,1880, and has lived there ever since. In September, 1880, he was married to Mrs. Eliza J. (Denny) West by whom he is the father of one son, Frank. As a Democrat in politics, he has been Trustee of Stafford Township, and in 1882 was the candidate for his party for County Clerk. He ran much ahead of his ticket, only failing of election by seventeen votes. He is a member of both the Subordinate Lodge and Encampment of I. O. O. F. at Worthington. He owns 320 acres of land in Washington Township, and 180 acres in Knox County, Ind., and is one of the progressive and enterprising citizens of Greene County.
Benjamin F. Reid, one of the best and most successful farmers of Washington Township, was born in Greene County, Ohio, May 1, 1824, and is a son of John and Sallie W. (Sterrett) Reid, who were natives respectively of Pennsylvania and Kentucky, and of Scotch-Irish descent. John Reid was among the first settlers of Greene County, Ohio, and his general occupation through life was farming and working at the carpenter's trade. He died in November, 1871, followed by his widow in April, 1876. Benjamin F. was reared and educated in his native county, the first thrity years of his life being passed in aiding his parents on the home farm. He rented the old homestead upon which he resided, engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1875, when he removed to Indiana and located on his present place in Greene County. At the present, he owns 480 acres of fine farming and grazing land, upon which he has comfortable and commodious buildings, which reflect not only credit upon himself but on the township as well. Mr. Reid has never aspired for political honors, although he is well posted on all the leading political issues of the day. In politics, he is a Republican, but previous to the organization of that party, his influence and support were cast in favor of the Whig party. Miss Elizabeth Harbeson became his wife on the 28th of December, 1853, and to them six children have been born--Addison Y., Anna Belle, Frank H. and Joanna L., living, and John William and Eva F. (deceased). Mrs. Reid is a daughter of William and Mary (McMillan) Harbeson, who were natives respectively of Chester District, S. C., and Ireland, the latter coming to the United States when sixteen years old. Mr. Reid and family are members of the Presbyterian Church, and are among the best citizens of Greene County.
W. D. Ritter, son of Moses and grandson of J ames Ritter, was born at Newberry, in Cass Township, Greer County, Ind., April 7, 1827. Moses Ritter was a native of. North Carolina, and through his antipathy of slavery migrated to Indiana in 1817, and for five years lived in Washington County. For the same reason, the family of John 0' Neal left South Carolina, and coming to Indiana settled in Washington County, where first Moses Ritter met Achsah O'Neal, who became his wife in 1819. In about 1822, these two families came to the vicinity of where Newberry now i6; Mr. O'Neal entering the land on which the village now stands, and which he laid out and named in honor of Newberry District, from whence he came in South Carolina. Mr. Ritter located in Daviess County, some four miles south of the Greene County line, afterward moving to Newberry, and from there to Bloomfield. Violet Ritter, the widowed mother of Moses, together with the remainder of the Ritter family, came to Greene County in 1822, and made this her home the remainder of her days. These two families became intimately connected with the early history of Greene County, which could not properly be written without saying much concerning them. John O'Neal was an old-fashioned Quaker preacher, and Baber's history of the county says this concerning him: " His house was the home for all the Indians and preachers, and was made the stopping place for the olden time Judges, lawyers, preachers, prophets, disciples, Jews and Gentiles." Baber also says this of Moses Ritter: "He lived in Greene. County many years, and filled numerous offices of trust. It is said that 'an honest man is the noblest work of God;' he entirely filled that measure." W. D. Ritter has never known any home other than in Greene County. His early life and advantages were similar to that of the average boy of that early period. Since the organization of the Republican party, he has been identified with it, but previous to 1856 was a Whig, as was also his father. He has served Richland Township eleven years as Trustee, and is universally acknowledged as one of the best read men in the county. In 1859, he married Mrs. Caroline (Sanford) Tebbutt, who was born in Middlesex, England, December 26, 1831. They own 200 acres of land near Bloomfield, and are the parents of this family: Levi, Grant, Helen, Emma; Anna and William.
E. E. Rose was born in Washington County, Tenn., May 25, 1825. John and Mary Rose, his parents, were natives of South Carolina and Tennessee respectively and of Scotch lineage. In 1232, the family removed to Indiana, and engaged in farming in Clay County. E. E. Rose was raised on this farm, and in conjunction with the duties of a farmer boy, attended the district schools, afterward taking an academic course at Bowling Green. When twenty years old, he became a disciple of Blackstone in the office of his brother, Allan T. Rose, but after a few months gave this up for the time. He enlisted as a private for the Mexican war in May, 1846, in Company C, Second Indiana Volunteers, his brigade commander being Gen. Lane, and his corps commander Gen. Taylor. He was a participant in the battle of Buena Vista, and was discharged with a Sergeant's chevrons in July, 1847. He began the study of medicine, but in 1848 was admitted to practice law, and the same year joined the Methodist Episcopal Church and immediately began preparing for the ministry. In 1850, he was ordained, and subsequently followed the dictates of his conscience by preaching the Gospel at various places for a number of years. In 1860, he located in Bloomfield, and for the second time embarked in the practice of law, at the same time editing and publishing the Greene County Times. In June, 1861, he became Captain of Battery C, First Indiana Heavy Artillery, and serving as such was in the engagements of Teche, Donaldsonville and Port Hudson. In 1868, he was a Presidential elector, and also a member of the Electoral College, where he cast his vote for Gen. Grant. Capt. Rose is a member of the National party, and the Masonic and Odd Fellow fraternities. He was married to Ellen Elliot August 19, 1847, and five of their seven children are yet living. As an attorney, Capt. Rose ranks among the first, and is in partnership with his son-in-law, Emerson Short.